Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

NE WY Deer quality

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

NE WY Deer quality

Postby timberland » 01 09, 2015 •  [Post 1]

Might be heading to NE Wy around Hulett next sept. What can i expect for quality and quantity of bucks, focusing mainly on Mule Deer. I know a 180 is a long shot but was hoping to get a chance at a 140. Thoughts?
timberland

First Name: Barry
Last Name: B

Re: NE WY Deer quality

Postby Lefty » 01 11, 2015 •  [Post 2]

Neat area. We tried to set up a predator line in the area a long long time ago Lots of small ranches,

If I remember correctly A lot of the area is leased Even the small properties seemed to be leased
A couple summers ago we made the loop,.. lots of posted property lots pf deer during daylight hours I would guess there must be bigger deer there
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Re: NE WY Deer quality

Postby POk3s » 01 13, 2015 •  [Post 3]

Luckily most of your badlands areas are public land. Not quite a rich environment for ranching although a lot of it is owned. Those badlands foothills are a great place for mule deer.

5 or 6 years ago I took a buddy up there to try and bag his first deer. All I was looking for was a fall turkey. First deer we stumbled across was a small 2 1/2 year old 4x4 mulie. I asked him if he cared if he shot a whitetail or a mule deer. Being his first one he didn't care and he smoked it. He was very excited as one would guess. We got his deer taken care of, drove up the road to another plot of public land and there was a 170-180" mulie standing there without much care in the world. Luckily he was still so happy that he wasn't too regretful.
Trent Williams
ElkNut Field Staff
POk3s