Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

muzzy doe

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

muzzy doe

Postby zpd307 » 12 04, 2014 •  [Post 1]

finally, some more meat! I don't get much time to sit, something always keeps popping up. I was supposed to go Monday and Tuesday also, I have a 4 day stretch off. Monday I had to deal with some fire truck issues that needed fixing and recall work done and had training for work in which I didn't get home until late.... I wasn't ready and didn't want to go out with no sleep, so Tuesday morning was a bust. I put an offer in on a farm that WAS for sale and was running around trying to get the bank paperwork filled out. plus get my youngest boys scout meeting planned out for the night. then there was the den meeting that night.... uggg but, oh well here she is! my first muzzleloader kill and deer in 4 years.....
photo.JPG
photo.JPG (179 KiB) Viewed 4254 times
zpd307

First Name: gary
Last Name: s

Re: muzzy doe

Postby twinkieman » 12 04, 2014 •  [Post 2]

Way to go Gary, Congrats
twinkieman

First Name: marc
Last Name: anderson

Postby pointysticks » 12 04, 2014 •  [Post 3]

you guys that live in the deer "belt". blows my mind!! so foreign to me.

for me, it takes serious planning, and sadly a roadtrip to get to any hunting. super awesome doe Z!!

if you guys kill a morning deer, is it acceptable to call into work for the meat processing ?? :D
pointysticks

First Name: cliff
Last Name: l

Postby zpd307 » 12 04, 2014 •  [Post 4]

pointysticks wrote:you guys that live in the deer "belt". blows my mind!! so foreign to me.

for me, it takes serious planning, and sadly a roadtrip to get to any hunting. super awesome doe Z!!

if you guys kill a morning deer, is it acceptable to call into work for the meat processing ?? :D

that's how I feel about elk hunting.....
I shot this doe on my hunting partners land, they have 13 acres a mere 16 miles away....
I wish that I could call into work if I got a deer in the am, we only have one guy working at a time......
zpd307

Postby timberland » 12 05, 2014 •  [Post 5]

pointysticks wrote:you guys that live in the deer "belt". blows my mind!! so foreign to me.

The more I associate with hunters across the U.S. the more I come to appreciate the opportunity to hunt out my back door. Yep, the winters are long, and I hate driving to town at ten p.m. to pick up my kids from practice and I don't make nearly the money I could in the Cities. But to me, owning land, and being a steward of it is the ultimate satisfaction, way more than harvesting an animal. Where I live deer hunting envelops the whole community. Last night my hair dresser asked how my deer season was and listened to my stories for 20 min and was totally excited for me.

And yes, people call in sick to take care of an animal, just the same as staying home to do farm chores. Friends have came to work after a morning hunt and asked for tracking help. Many times a "be back later" sign goes on the door and everybody gets their boots on. I've pulled bankers, teachers, and doctors out into the parking lot to look at a decent buck.

I've been blessed that I can call or text in if I need to hunt the morning of work. One of the nicest bucks I shot came after a Monday morning wind switch and a decision to stay home and hunt a new stand.

Good Job, Gary and good luck with the farm. Keep us posted
timberland

First Name: Barry
Last Name: B

Postby pointysticks » 12 05, 2014 •  [Post 6]

^sah-weet!
pointysticks

First Name: cliff
Last Name: l

Postby zpd307 » 12 05, 2014 •  [Post 7]

found out that night, the farm was sold to the other guy who also had an offer put in.....
zpd307

Postby Ponyboy_jonas » 07 21, 2015 •  [Post 8]

Congrats on the deer. I always apply for muzzleloader doe here in North Dakota. Only because it takes around 8 years to get a muzzleloader buck. It feels good to smoke a doe in the late season.
Ponyboy_jonas

Postby zpd307 » 07 28, 2015 •  [Post 9]

8 years to get drawn for a muzzy tag, rough....
zpd307

Postby Ponyboy_jonas » 08 26, 2015 •  [Post 10]

Haha I just found out that I ended up not drawing any tag this year besides my over the counter bow tag. (I had an 80% chance of getting my muzzy doe this year.) :oops:
%
Ponyboy_jonas

Postby zpd307 » 08 31, 2015 •  [Post 11]

that sucks....
zpd307