Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Deer Food Plots

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Deer Food Plots

Postby Kessler10 » 11 13, 2014 •  [Post 1]

I own about 300 acres of land in Nebraska on the republican river. We have about 100 acres that are farmed, usually corn or beans. We also have a couple food plots made up of mostly alfalfa, cloves, etc. However, I am looking to add some fruit or nut trees on the edges of the field to really draw in the bigger bucks and keep them on my land as I know there are not fruit trees planted anywhere else in the area. My hope is that over the years having these fruit and nut trees will draw in some of the biggest bucks in the area.

Anyone have experience with selecting the right trees or planting them-and recommendations or tips? I was thinking to get some Dunstan Chestnuts, Acorn, peach and apple. This land is in southern Nebraska. Assuming best time to plant them is in the Spring. Looking for trees that require the least amount of upkeep and can survive some of the mild droughts and cold winters here in NE.

Thanks for any feedback.
Kessler10

First Name: Luke
Last Name: Kessler

Re: Deer Food Plots

Postby timberland » 11 13, 2014 •  [Post 2]

QDMA forums has great information and exactly what your looking for and you can read until your blue in the face. A local orchard is a great way to buy bare root fruit trees cheap if they let you piggy back their annual order which happens in late winter. Got 4-6 yr old apple trees for about $15 apiece. The orchards can also help select varieties that will drop apples early, mid and late season.
timberland

First Name: Barry
Last Name: B

Postby Rangerz » 11 13, 2014 •  [Post 3]

When I lived in VA, I use to hunt an old apple orchard. Deer Magnet!
Rangerz

First Name: Chris
Last Name: Poole

Postby NCelkhtr » 12 02, 2014 •  [Post 4]

It will take the oaks quite a while to produce, and I last I checked there was a waiting list on the dunstan chestnut trees because everyone was wanting them. I don't know which type of apple will hold up the best in the winters you have but I would get a few different types. You can get different varieties of apples that ripen from July (Transparent Apples) all the way through mid November (Black Arkansas Apples) and have a season long food source. Get at least 2 trees of each variety so they can pollinate better and if 1 dies you still have one left.
NCelkhtr

First Name: Zack
Last Name: Benfield

Postby Chaza402 » 01 07, 2015 •  [Post 5]

Im from Mississippi and one of the fastest oak producers for us is the sawtooth oak. As long as you dont have alkaline in your soil the tree should take off. They typically start producing after 6 years. Also a great tree that will have deer falling in like flocks of geese to a rice field is the common persimon. The tree's range is from the far east to kansas. There is a chance that they will grow in your neck of the woods as well, just get some soil tests done where you plan on planting and that will be the tale tale sign for which trees will flourish.
Chaza402