Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

October lull?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

October lull?

Postby Elkonthebrain » 11 02, 2014 •  [Post 1]

Anybody else running trail cams notice a October lull?
If so what's your theory on why? Hunting pressure, deer shifting to different habitat maybe something else.
My guess around here is hunting pressure but I'm not sure why the big boys still aren't coming thru at night.
Elkonthebrain

Re: October lull?

Postby wawhitey » 11 04, 2014 •  [Post 2]

I started getting many more bucks on my cams in early october. The areas i put them are the areas they frequent in the fall. Also late october before i headed to alaska i was seeing lots of deer, including a few nice 4x4 whitetails running around in daylight. And the old man got a nice mainframe 5x5 with a kicker off his right browtine in mid october. Was out in daylight with a doe for some reason. Mature deer too, about 7.5 yr old. No mid october lull here. That being said, only 3 days 18 hours and 20 minutes until late rifle whitetail starts. But whos counting?
wawhitey

Postby wawhitey » 11 06, 2014 •  [Post 3]

1 day 8 hours and 5 minutes now... but once again, who's counting?
Real eyes realize real lies
wawhitey

Postby wawhitey » 11 06, 2014 •  [Post 4]

What type of deer are you hunting? Everything ivd read citing studies of whitetail home ranges seems bogus to me. I think its all based on mid west ag land crap. Up here in the mountains you can count on whiretail bucks spending theud summers in a completely different area than they spend the fall. Im talking miles away. Maybd your cams are in gheir summer spots? Also i should say that i see does in the same spots year round, based on the ones ive seen that are easily identifiable. For example, one local doe who had her tail bitten off by something, probably a coyote. No mistaking her. See her in the same 200 acre ir so area any time of the year. If im rambling blame makers mark
wawhitey

Postby wawhitey » 11 07, 2014 •  [Post 5]

1 day 6 hours and 20 minutes. Damn i wish i could sleep
wawhitey

Postby Rangerz » 11 11, 2014 •  [Post 6]

October lull could be the big boys changing from a summer pattern to a get ready for the rut pattern. Usually find a nice quiet place to hole up and wait for the show.
Rangerz

First Name: Chris
Last Name: Poole