Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

im gonna get him$!!! hes dead 11/19

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

im gonna get him$!!! hes dead 11/19

Postby wawhitey » 10 24, 2014 •  [Post 1]

This is the one im after. Going to put my trigger finger in check and hold out for him. http://imgur.com/a/DEsnp
wawhitey

Re: im gonna get him

Postby zpd307 » 10 24, 2014 •  [Post 2]

he is a dandy for sure. good luck, holding out for him, that is....
zpd307

First Name: gary
Last Name: s

Postby wawhitey » 10 24, 2014 •  [Post 3]

Got another good 5x5 on cam few hundred yards from there but i wont shoot him. At least not for the first week. This one has bigger g2s but i like the g4s and mass on the other. I WILL let this one walk if given the opportunity. http://imgur.com/yVUigyb
wawhitey

Postby Elkonthebrain » 10 24, 2014 •  [Post 4]

Both are nice bucks.
Elkonthebrain

Postby LckyTylr » 11 06, 2014 •  [Post 5]

Well . . . update plz . . . ?
LckyTylr

First Name: Tyler
Last Name: Sisson

Postby wawhitey » 11 06, 2014 •  [Post 6]

LckyTylr wrote:Well . . . update plz . . . ?

still waiting for season to open back up on the 8th. Unfortunately we dont have the awesome deer seasons you get in idaho. Hell the otc deer season in unit 1 is way better than if i was to draw both quality muley and quality whitetail in my home unit the same year, which isnt even possible. I will be hunting deer (and spring bear) in the panhandle next year. In addition to my wa hunting of course. Oh and as far as an update, i did update that album with some more pics of that buck. Different angles
Real eyes realize real lies
wawhitey

Postby wawhitey » 11 08, 2014 •  [Post 7]

Let one legal (4x unit) buck walk today. The dumb little bastard walked right up to me, stopped and looked me over from 10-12 feet away, then casually strolled off. Amazing what you can get away with if you just hold still. This year ive had two bull elk and one whitetail buck look right at me inside spitting distance and never know it.
wawhitey

Postby Elkonthebrain » 11 09, 2014 •  [Post 8]

Any luck? Tomorrow is opener for me.
Elkonthebrain

Postby wawhitey » 11 10, 2014 •  [Post 9]

Elkonthebrain wrote:Any luck? Tomorrow is opener for me.

hunting the 101 i take it? no luck yet, nothing i want to shoot anyway. couldve filled my tag both days so far. not been any rut activity that ive seen, but here comes the cold snap, i think its about to start happening. there are some big old deer in the 101 man. when i get around to it ill put up a pic of a really nasty whitetail shed from there. its all chewed to hell but still impressive. im right next door in 121
wawhitey

Postby wawhitey » 11 10, 2014 •  [Post 10]

Guess i spoke too soon on the no rut activity. Had a very respectable 4x4 chasing a doe through the pasture as i was heading out this morning. If sheda put the brakes on his head would have gone right up her ***. Then about 2 miles from the house saw 2 fawns with no momma in sight. I think someone just flicked the switch to the on position
wawhitey

Postby Elkonthebrain » 11 10, 2014 •  [Post 11]

Yeah 101. Saturday we were checking cams and saw a decent buck chasing. Had a fawn come in solo this morning. Lots of scrapes and rubs. It's definitely starting to pick up a little.
Elkonthebrain

Postby wawhitey » 11 10, 2014 •  [Post 12]

Elkonthebrain wrote:Yeah 101. Saturday we were checking cams and saw a decent buck chasing. Had a fawn come in solo this morning. Lots of scrapes and rubs. It's definitely starting to pick up a little.

Weird im not seeing squat today. One doe first tging in tge am and woods have been silent all day since.wtf?
wawhitey

Postby Elkonthebrain » 11 10, 2014 •  [Post 13]

Shot this guy today. Not the biggest but still nice.
Attachments
IMG_2014111028759.jpg
IMG_2014111028759.jpg (102.83 KiB) Viewed 15201 times
Elkonthebrain

Postby wawhitey » 11 10, 2014 •  [Post 14]

Id take that buck in a heartbeat, dont know anyone who wouldnt. I couldve filled my tag all 3 days so far but not on anyyhing good. 9 more dsys to go though. If you have any leftover luck send it my way
wawhitey

Postby wawhitey » 11 12, 2014 •  [Post 15]

passed up on a respectable young 4x4 today. was tempting. ive had the opportunity to fill my tag all 5 days of the season so far, but havent met "mr right" yet
wawhitey

Postby Elkonthebrain » 11 12, 2014 •  [Post 16]

My buddy got one today. There moving, your out there, Mr. Right will eventually cross your path.
Elkonthebrain

Postby wawhitey » 11 13, 2014 •  [Post 17]

Well 6 days into the season holding out for a 5x5 whitetail and guess what.... big old 5x5 comes in today and stands broadside at 90 yards. 5x5 elk. Damn damn damn. No elk season is not open.
wawhitey

Postby Elkonthebrain » 11 15, 2014 •  [Post 18]

Any action yet?
Elkonthebrain

Postby wawhitey » 11 15, 2014 •  [Post 19]

Took the day off today. Couple friends came over from the coast. Showed them around the area. Put them on some good spots where i think they will find bucks. Ill be back at my post in the am. Ill hold out for a big buck one more day, then ill take a little basket rack for meat if it comes to that. Only a few days left to make it happen.
wawhitey

Postby wawhitey » 11 16, 2014 •  [Post 20]

Well passed on yet another 4x4 today. No sign of the bad boy still so im moving on in the morning. Have a couple other spots i want to focus on for the remaining 3 days. However my friends who came over went right where i showed them and got a real nice buck after just 1 hour. I have a feeling theyll be hunting here next year too now.
wawhitey

Postby wawhitey » 11 18, 2014 •  [Post 21]

this is looking grim. yesterday i was out glassing a place where ive seen numerous bucks in the past. first thing in the morning i spot the first real trophy buck ive seen this year. start to close the distance, work on getting set up with a good rest... the doe hes with looks downhill and something doesnt jive with her, she splits, spooked good. and since there was some sort of invisible string connecting her backside and the bucks nose, the buck disappeared too. onto private land they both went. some jerks came up over the hill, obviously the guilty party in the trophy buck spooking. im pretty certain they never even saw that buck. tomorrow is the last day of the season. ive let at least a dozen opportunities go on legal 4x bucks holding out for a real big one, and now the bucks seem to all be in lockdown mode. i think im about to eat my deer tag for the first time since i started hunting whitetails. not too happy right now. on another note, if i had a moose tag in my pocket it would have been filled multiple times now. seeing more good bulls (both moose and elk) than good bucks.
wawhitey

Postby wawhitey » 11 19, 2014 •  [Post 22]

end of the season report... i think im eating my tag. tonight was last night, and after passing numerous bucks all season, i was certain i was eating my tag. in fact i was picking up my backpack at 10 min before end of shooting light, in my head it was done, when a respectable 4x4 shows up suddenly. by this time im already shivering uncontrollably form cold, and now have sudden onset buck fever, was totally unprepared for this. 95 yard shot, NO SWEAT! well I think i whiffed it somehow. cant believe it. cant find a single drop of blood. im going back in the morning to look but im pretty certain i royally screwed up my last minute opportunity. hard to believe i could possibly miss a 95 yard shot, hell i made a perfect 350 yard shot on a small bear couple months ago, same rifle. but hell if i can screw up my 10 yard longbow shot on that bull a couple months ago i can screw up anything right? i think i should just take up fishing. oh but wait this gets better. so i checked my game cam at that spot, and the big 5x5 buck i started this thread about? yup, he was all over it last couple mornings. so im here tonight looking through all the pictures of him, thinking, hell hes survived the season, hes on my cam this morning, ill see him next year. NOPE! turns out he wandered about a mile down the mountain to some private property that a guy i know owns. yeah his wife shot the big bastard in their yard tonight right as i was screwing up my shot on that 8 point. okay im done bitching, im just going to go get drunk, and sweat out the hangover in the morning with a futile search for any sign of the buck that im 95% sure i completely missed. this is just not my year
wawhitey

Re: im gonna get him$!!! hes dead 11/19

Postby LckyTylr » 11 19, 2014 •  [Post 23]

Oh man . . . Comiserations Buddy . . . that's a pretty rough season.

Not too much I can think of to say other than it can't be must worse next season . . . it HAS to be better than the hand you were dealt this year.

Good luck looking tomorrow.
LckyTylr

First Name: Tyler
Last Name: Sisson

Postby wawhitey » 11 19, 2014 •  [Post 24]

heres a few pics. the first one is the 4x4 i shot at tonight. the time on the cam is off, it was SECONDS before i shot (at?) him. real time was 435pm tonight. the next two pics are the big humdinger i was after, that someone just shot in her back yard tonight, damn damn damn. http://imgur.com/a/H0r9t
wawhitey

Postby wawhitey » 11 20, 2014 •  [Post 25]

I found him stone dead not 100 yards from where i shot him! Mustve walked by him in the dark a couple times, he was right there! Thought i clean missed but I liquified his heart!
wawhitey

Postby Elkonthebrain » 11 20, 2014 •  [Post 26]

Awesome. Glad you found him.
Elkonthebrain

Postby wawhitey » 11 20, 2014 •  [Post 27]

Here is the young buck that I thought I missed last night. With 10 minutes left in the season there was no passing on him. Here in a little bit I'll post up pics of the one i was after that somebody down the way killed. I had to go put my hands on it myself so I took a couple pics while i was fondling it. I have been watching that buck for the last 3 years, have him on camera from 2012- yesterday morning. Really thought he was mine this year, oh well. Oh and due to his mass more than anything else, he gross green scored a little over 162. even with weak spread and small g2s. Amazing deer, but hey that's the luck of the draw, it wasn't meant to be for me I guess. This young buck will eat just fine, just not a wall hanger.
Attachments
my2014.jpg
my2014.jpg (87.69 KiB) Viewed 15060 times
wawhitey

Postby wawhitey » 11 20, 2014 •  [Post 28]

Okay here is the reason why i waited until the last ten minutes of the season to shoot a deer. After seeing this guy the last 3 years I finally figured out where he was spending his time pre-snow. I thought I had him in the bag. Oh well at least it was a local, somebody I know, who will have him on their wall, not some heathen from the west side that got lucky and shot him off a logging road and took him back to Tacoma or something.
Attachments
humdinger2.jpg
humdinger2.jpg (43.24 KiB) Viewed 15059 times
humdinger1.jpg
humdinger1.jpg (29.89 KiB) Viewed 15059 times
wawhitey

Postby wawhitey » 11 20, 2014 •  [Post 29]

man i know everybody says this, but really, really the pics just dont do him justice.
wawhitey