Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

The 140 class Whitetail-White Panel Blind

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

The 140 class Whitetail-White Panel Blind

Postby Devilduck32 » 10 14, 2014 •  [Post 1]

Morning all,

I had posted in the Elk forum and said I would share a hunt that went down as my greatest hunt ever. Let me set a little back story first.
My father has 10 acres in North Louisiana surrounded by 1000's of acres of prime North Louisiana whitetail habitat. We have hunted the land for years have countless pictures of deer in all shapes and sizes. The deer a shot was never photographed in any of the years we are aware of. he was a 4.5 yr old deer. So, now on to the story.

Earlier in the year, I had seen 5-6 does working the edge of the property line with my fathers neighbor. (I continued to jump these deer every time I left the woods.) His house sits about 600 yrds from the area I was hunting. I bow hunt this little piece of God's country, through out the hunting season. I called up my father and had him build me a ground blind 40 yrds from the edge of the treeline and clear a lane. Now, the real craziness begins. Thanksgiving week is an annual trip for 4 to 5 days of hunting. Thursday evening my loving wife decided we needed to go shopping on GREY Thursday(the dreadful day before black friday sell mania...are they really sells?). We finally got home about 3 am, I set my alarm with every intent of waking at 530 am to make the 1/4 mile walk to the blind.

I finally climbed out of BED at 715 am well into the daylight hours, missed first light by a good 30-40 minutes. I dragged up to the blind arriving about 730 am. ( I had never seen what my father built). I arrive at the spot and to my GREAT surprise my father built a blind out of green tee posts(used for fencing) and WHITE indoor paneling. I was like HUMMM really WHITE.(Come to find out little he forgot the spray paint. He has serious KNEE problems so to build it I was grateful.) I sat down on the really cold metal fold-up chair. Thinking there is no way a deer will walk by this set up. Boy was I WRONG.

Settled in, gave it about 5 mins to clam down. I then gave the grunt tube a light blow, followed quickly by a doe estrus bleat. Fully expecting a few does to show, because like clockwork every morning 8 am they came to that spot for the last 9 days. There is no hunting pressure except when I hunt the property every 2 or 3 weeks during the season.

Finally, it happened, around 740 a doe jumped the neighbors fence. I could barely make it out through the brush on the Left side but she was coming fast. Then a caught a glimpse of another deer and then I could tell it was a buck. I got ready and let the doe enter the shooting lane I stopped her with a doe bleat. The buck ran up behind her and was smelling her. I ranged the buck at 30 yards drew my bow placed the pin and loosed the arrow and was rewarded with a solid hit right in the pumper. He jumped and ran 10 yrds collapsing into deer sausage. I never looked at his antlers or I would have lost my nerve i knew he was BIG.

This all happened within about 15 minutes of sitting down on the cold metal chair, I was back at my Dads house by 8 am. It is the second buck I have taken with my bow the first was a 7 pt.

He green scored 142 5/8. I have not measured him since but he will be entered into the Louisiana big buck record book as they only require a score of 130 or better. I am not sure if the seven point would make it.
deer pic 140class.JPG
the white blind buck
deer pic 140class.JPG (67.11 KiB) Viewed 2208 times

007.JPG
mounted on wall
007.JPG (29.08 KiB) Viewed 2208 times

thanks for reading,
Devilduck32

Re: The 140 class Whitetail-White Panel Blind

Postby zpd307 » 10 14, 2014 •  [Post 2]

need pics! :lol:
zpd307