Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

First Archery Success!

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

First Archery Success!

Postby itsnlkthing » 10 09, 2014 •  [Post 1]

I came up empty on two elk outings this year. I had a couple of near encounters but no shot. I have a doe tag for my property near Denver and felt pretty confident that I would at least get a shot opportunity with a late season tag that runs from 10/1-12/31. I have a game trail that runs along a creek at the back of my land and there is usually some deer traffic at dawn and dusk. I sat watching it one evening after work until dark seeing nothing. Last Saturday I got out there before light and set up just over the ridge above the creek and game trail. It was in the low 30's so I had my balaclava hood up. I was watching the trail when I caught movement to my right. The balaclava blocks a lot of peripheral vision. I slowly turn my head and here comes a buck and 3 does. They are traveling along the ridge right at me, not on the game trail and they are only 30 yards out. I can't draw without them seeing me, so I sit tight and wait for them to turn down to the creek or up into my pasture. No dice, they keep coming straight at me. At 10 yards, I decide I'm going to get busted either way, so I come to full draw. They startle and run but at 25 yards, stop and turn around to see what it was that spooked them. I had to pass on the buck because I didn't have a tag but let fly at the doe that presented the best angle. All 4 immediately run off and I nock another arrow and sit tight. After 20 minutes, I'm just about ready to go look for my arrow and signs of a hit when the buck and one of the does come right back to the area of my shot. I felt I had hit the doe, so I stood up and sent them on their way. I look around where they were standing and can't find my arrow but that would be a difficult task in the tall grass and brush anyway. The worst part is that there's no blood. Doubt sets in but I start to head in the direction that 2 of the deer went after the shot. I'm zigzagging back and forth and still nothing after 50 yards. This is starting to look like a clean miss. All of a sudden, I look down and here is half of my arrow. There is blood up to 3" below the fletching and blood sprayed all over the the blazers.

Now I'm excited but realize that I don't have any flagging tape on me. I put one of my arrows in a tree branch to mark the start of the trail and back out to grab my flagging tape. Knowing that I have a hit, I take my time hoping the doe will expire rather than be pushed. When I return, I discover that the trail is fairly good but intermittent. I find the doe piled up at about 200 yards from the shot. it was a quartering to shot and my arrow had gone in right behind the shoulder, through one lung and had hit the opposing rear hip. The angle did cause the arrow to go through the gut but it had done a number on the vitals first. I have taken both deer and elk before but always with a rifle. I just got my bow as a 50th birthday present this year and this was my first ever archery shot on game. I'm absolutely thrilled that I managed to harvest on my first shot. This was definitely a huge confidence builder for future deer and elk opportunities.
itsnlkthing

First Name: Steve
Last Name: DeWeese

Re: First Archery Success!

Postby zpd307 » 10 10, 2014 •  [Post 2]

way to go, congrats! I have only killed one thing with my bow, it was a broken antlered buck at least 15 years ago. i still remember the feeling!
zpd307

First Name: gary
Last Name: s

Postby itsnlkthing » 10 10, 2014 •  [Post 3]

Thanks! I think this will be a new addiction for me. I still love to rifle hunt but the up close and personal aspect of bow hunting is pretty cool. The weather is a lot nicer too ;-)
itsnlkthing

First Name: Steve
Last Name: DeWeese

Postby zpd307 » 10 11, 2014 •  [Post 4]

yes, the up close personal aspect is very addicting.... watching that bull wallow at 20 yards was pretty fing cool! way better than putting crosshairs on an elk at 300 yards.
zpd307

First Name: gary
Last Name: s

Postby LckyTylr » 10 11, 2014 •  [Post 5]

Congrats, welcome to the addiction! :-)
LckyTylr

First Name: Tyler
Last Name: Sisson

Postby pointysticks » 10 12, 2014 •  [Post 6]

i'm not sure i can even shoot my rifles well anymore. :D

i love a bow in my hands..

congrats, and welcome to the insanity..this was my first year to take a big game critter as well..we are in the same graduation year!!
pointysticks

First Name: cliff
Last Name: l

Postby bowbeck » 10 12, 2014 •  [Post 7]

Awesome! Still looking for a first bow kill myself.
bowbeck

First Name: greg
Last Name: becker

Postby 2011bullyelk » 01 13, 2015 •  [Post 8]

Congratulations! I happened to harvest my first animal with a bow this year too! A doe pronghorn at 57 yards. I have had nothing else on my brain since :D
2011bullyelk

First Name: Jim
Last Name: Chatterton