Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Gut shot deer

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Gut shot deer

Postby Fridaythe13th » 10 09, 2014 •  [Post 1]

How long does one wait to go look for a gut shot deer?
A friend of mine shot a 135" whitetail last night a 630 and hit him back to far. He did not want to push him so he was going to wait. The bad part is he HAD to work today so he was going to go look for him around 4 pm. Last night it was down to 30 and at noon today it is 50. Do you think the meat is good?
Fridaythe13th

First Name: Eric
Last Name: S

Re: Gut shot deer

Postby Gypsumreaper » 10 09, 2014 •  [Post 2]

My buck took a shot in one lung and exit the gut, he went 64 yards and was piled up dead when I found him the next am, I let him set overnight because I thought he was a straight gut shot. My buddies buck jumped the string on a very minor quartering shot he waited 2 hours til we got to where he was to help him track and his buck was 110 yards piled up dead, he hit gut and liver. I gut shot a buck one year though straight through the gut and I didn't find him for 5 days 1.5 miles from the shot. He was bumped 2 times though cause after the shot he ran down crossed a road and bedded down where a forest service guy pushed him away from the road for some reason. He hit a switchback and bedded again where the guy once again got outa his truck and pushed the deer outa his bed. So it all depends, the meat though I'm gonna lean towards not good if you can't get to him due to the warm weather and guts leaking inside of the cavity. But don't give up because of that make sure you do everything possible to check the meat.
Gypsumreaper

First Name: Josh
Last Name: Wamboldt

Postby POk3s » 10 09, 2014 •  [Post 3]

Just depends how long he lived. You never know. Maybe he lived until noon and died in the shade.
POk3s

Postby pointysticks » 10 09, 2014 •  [Post 4]

shot the deer with what? bow or rifle?
pointysticks

First Name: cliff
Last Name: l

Postby Fridaythe13th » 10 10, 2014 •  [Post 5]

Shot with a bow.
Fridaythe13th

First Name: Eric