Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

More details later. Ended 7 year dry spell!

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

More details later. Ended 7 year dry spell!

Postby pointysticks » 08 17, 2014 •  [Post 1]

You don't know how long I've been dreaming of posting up my first archery buck. Got it done! 62 yard shot. Buck ran 30 and piled up. Arrow went right behind ribs and exited the front chest.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1408300338.780647.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1408300338.780647.jpg (476.34 KiB) Viewed 5182 times
pointysticks

First Name: cliff
Last Name: l

Re: More details later. Ended 7 year dry spell!

Postby ctdad » 08 17, 2014 •  [Post 2]

Congrats. Great shot
ctdad

Postby bigmart » 08 17, 2014 •  [Post 3]

Congrats, great job.
bigmart

First Name: marty
Last Name: stoddard

Postby twinkieman » 08 17, 2014 •  [Post 4]

Well, that certainly didn't take long :lol: Great job Pointy, Congrats!
twinkieman

First Name: marc
Last Name: anderson

Postby ElkNut1 » 08 18, 2014 •  [Post 5]

Nice! Way to go Cliff! Heck, stick it up on the 2014 meatpole thread, it's OK!

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby twinkieman » 08 18, 2014 •  [Post 6]

Where is the GoPro video, did you use it?
twinkieman

First Name: marc
Last Name: anderson

Postby Elkduds » 08 18, 2014 •  [Post 7]

Persistence pays off, way to go! Early meat on the pole is supposed to portend a successful hunt for all!
Elkduds

First Name: Mark
Last Name: Scott

Postby BrentLaBere » 08 20, 2014 •  [Post 8]

Nice job! Congrats
62 yard shot....and piled up at 30, awesome.
BrentLaBere

First Name: Brent
Last Name: LaBere

Postby pointysticks » 08 20, 2014 •  [Post 9]

i owe you the story:

this story is all about how being lucky is better than being good.

we got to our honey hole a full day early. living at sea level (63 feet) and hunting near 9000 feet is awful. the extra day might not do much, but it helps mentally. we hiked hard after setting up camp. we found a few shooter buck. i was looking for #1, so any legal buck would work.

the day of the season opener, it was like the deer all checked their calendars and went,,”oh-o! hunting season already?!!!” they vanished. i look up..at about 9500 feet was a bench with a small forest in it. i imagined them all hiding up there watching us stare at the doe everywhere. i hatched a plan to hike up a spine to get a vantage point to glass the shelf/bench. i taped up my feet, load up water, cinch up the pack..loaded up my truck to drive to the best trail head. i was not gonna love this. i wanted to put a few bucks to bed at night and hoped to get into position the next morning.

driving down the road..screech!! a buck is standing off to the side!! i roll out and shimmy over. my mind turned to mush…80 yards..i go for it. hahah..you know that lady at the carnival that has some blindfolded guy throwing daggers at her harmlessly? that was me, and the deer was the hot carnival lady. my arrows were flying so far off, the deer had no clue..i look down at my feet and see a path in the sage. i drop down and start crawling. i was pushing my bow ahead of me and crawling behind it. i run out of sage cover so i peek up and range the buck. exactly 60 yards..i smile!!! “i can do this!!” i shoot 60 yards all day at my range..i twist the knob to my 60 on the slider sight, i load my bow, get to my knees and draw back..i was so calm. i tell myself not to get punchy on the trigger. the deer noted me and turn quartering away..it steps once..then twice..a third..i guess 62 yards. i put the pin just above the back of the rib cage and let it fly..i hear the FWAAP! the deer takes off like a rocket..

like every newb..i started doubting myself..my friend sits with me for a spell and goes up the ridge. we find LOTS of blood. no arrow. he walks and walks..he sees me all zombie like and tells me to go get my pack..and my tags..i run off..i run back..

we follow blood..then my friend says..”there he is!! 20 yards!”..you know what? i couldnt look. like i didnt want to be disappointed. like if i looked it wouldnt be true..he says..”LOOK!” i peek sideways at where he was pointing and i see a velvet antler..

i dont remember running in the waist high sage..but i got there fast and didnt trip..i run back hug my buddy..run back to the deer. i actually fell to my knees. i didnt, but i almost cried. it was that emotional for me. i said a quick silent prayer thanking for the opportunity and the deer. a few moments later after the adrenalin dump..i almost vomited.

wow!! my mind was racing..i actually started gutting the deer with my binos strapped to my chest..and my rangefinder!! i take those off..and get to work. i look at my bloody hands..and my bloody wrist release..AWWWW! i forgot to take off my release. ahhahahahah.. it was like be new all over again. it was awesome. i need to clean that release.

i got home and my wife met with with some salmon and a big arse green salad..it tasted so great. i was tired..but i am gonna respect this deer and push through the weariness..i got up off my butt and took care of this deer and get it stored safe..every bite will be a blessing. i wrapped and cut meat into the night. my friend missed a big deer on the last night and had to come home empty handed..i am gonna take him half of this deer. it is half his..just feels right.

got up early, sore. washed my truck. i owed it a good washing. it did great
pointysticks

First Name: cliff
Last Name: l

Postby Lark Bunting » 09 17, 2014 •  [Post 10]

Great story! I am really happy for you!
Lark Bunting

First Name: Tom
Last Name: S

Postby lamrith » 09 17, 2014 •  [Post 11]

Thanks for the story, I can appreciate that excited blackout syndrome as I am in search of my 1st still.
lamrith

First Name: Larry