Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

deer scouting trip

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

deer scouting trip

Postby twinkieman » 07 29, 2014 •  [Post 1]

Time for the annual deer scouting trip deep into a wilderness area, packing in tonight, scout for a couple of days. Another group of hunters hunts this area the first week of bow season, we wait until they normally leave and start later in the season, after they are done stirring things up. I usually can find the bucks that I wish to target, in a day. Although they won't be in exactly the same spots I will find them now, they start to drift back a couple of days after the other guys leave. These are blacktailed deer, above timberline in a very remote area, spot and stalk is my method of choice. See you guys in a few days. :D
twinkieman

First Name: marc
Last Name: anderson

Re: deer scouting trip

Postby wawhitey » 07 29, 2014 •  [Post 2]

which state you hunting blacktails in?
wawhitey

Postby pointysticks » 07 30, 2014 •  [Post 3]

i'm guessing california.

i did the same thing. hiked into the wilderness. i thought this was a remote area, but the regular hikers were EVERYWHERE!! one was a naked, hot, young, german girl putting her bikini on in the bushes..she didnt see me since i was camo'd,,,i jumped up and faced away..she appreciated the move and talked to me the entire time..

i am after my first bow deer..so anything legal counts. i found more down at 8400 feet..
pointysticks

First Name: cliff
Last Name: l

Postby twinkieman » 07 31, 2014 •  [Post 4]

Yes pointysticks, it is No. Calif., Did not see anyone, and even with the extreme heat we are having, we did see over 30 bucks the past two days. Can't wait! :D
twinkieman

Postby pointysticks » 08 04, 2014 •  [Post 5]

30?

that is awesome!! i've scouted 3 times already. so far so good. i hope to let a few arrows fly.
pointysticks

Postby twinkieman » 08 05, 2014 •  [Post 6]

I have kept this spot VERY secret for 15 years, and killed some really good bucks out of it. There was not another boot track in this area, so far. I know there are a few who know about it, they generally hunt the opener, and pull out the following Thursday. It is extremely remote, and very steep to get into, and that take care of anyone who isn't in mountain shape. I will o back in on Aug.21, haven't had anyone else in the area for the past 5 years going in later. I usually find that the deer are close to where I found them in a couple of days, after they settle back down from the earlier pressure. I only pressure a buck, when everything is right and I believe I can kill him. It doesn't always work, but a lot of the time I am successful. Of the 30 we saw, there were 2 big groups, 1 with 9, the other with 7, so that accounted for over 50% of the bucks we saw. The buck to doe ratio is incredible! Good luck on your hunts Pointy sticks
twinkieman

Postby pointysticks » 08 05, 2014 •  [Post 7]

Sweet. Well done. Let me know when you're done with the spot. Haha.

I saw 18 shooters first day scouting. Problem is; our area is not a secret. I'm hoping they get pushed up to me. I just want my first bow deer. Nothing big. Just legal. I hope we both have pics to share in three weeks or so.
pointysticks