Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Scouting big bucks

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Scouting big bucks

Postby JoeH2o » 06 02, 2012 •  [Post 1]

Whats the number 1 thing you guys look for when scouting for big muley bucks?
JoeH2o
ElkNut Pro Staff

First Name: Clayton
Last Name: Jensen

Re: Scouting big bucks

Postby Buglemaster » 06 02, 2012 •  [Post 2]

Out here in eastern Colorado, the #1 thing I'm looking for is the does.....LOTSA Does! Wherever the girls are hanging out, the boys will follow (alot like us guyses)..When the rut kicks in, at some time a bruiser will show up & thats the time I'm hunting the hardest. Know where the doe herds are & half the puzzle is put together. Early in the season before the rut the bucks will many times be in bachelor herds & hitting all the local buffet's in the area(also alot like us)...Undisturbed, they are pretty habitual in their feeding & bedding routine, but disturb them & generally your back to the find them mode.My #1 pick....GIRLS. Thats my story & I'm stickin with it!
Buglemaster

First Name: Dave
Last Name: Shaklee

Postby JoeH2o » 06 02, 2012 •  [Post 3]

Does are always what I look for. But it seems like during archery season I'll bump into big bucks in random spots, ridge tops, basins, hillsides. I know where some big bucks live, but some of the biggest bucks i've seen have been in odd spots with no does. (when i say big I'm talking 25"-28" bucks here in Idaho).
JoeH2o
ElkNut Pro Staff

Postby Haulin'Quarters » 06 03, 2012 •  [Post 4]

Bow season or rifle?
Haulin'Quarters

Postby JoeH2o » 06 03, 2012 •  [Post 5]

Mainly bow, that's why i was wondering where to start looking when rifle season starts. Idaho's rifle season starts early Oct and ends before the rut starts. I'm just trying to figure out where the big guys are typically hiding before the rut goes into full swing.
JoeH2o
ElkNut Pro Staff

Postby Haulin'Quarters » 06 04, 2012 •  [Post 6]

My experience with the bucks here in Idaho is that in the early bow season all of the bucks are up high in their bachelor groups. When rifle season starts the bucks are in their transitional zones staging up for the rut. Most of the deer I have shot at this time are still up high, but not like in early September. Last year the muley I shot was approximately a little over 7500' on Oct. 19th. In these transitional zones they are moving from their summer range down to find does and tend to stick to the timber bedded down the majority of the time except for ( the bewitching hours), early morning and last light, although I have found some pretty decent bucks up and changing bedding locations in the heat of the day when the sun hits their hidey holes. Early and late in the evening they tend to feed on South and East slopes, bedding on North and West during the day. The bigger they are the more nocturnal they may become depending on pressure. Glass, glass, glass......pack a pad for the rump and get comfortable, let the binos do the walking.

I don't know if this helps or if I am just rambling, but if you have any other questions I will most likely ramble on.
Haulin'Quarters

Postby ElkNut1 » 06 05, 2012 •  [Post 7]

Good info there!

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby BowElkDwn » 06 05, 2012 •  [Post 8]

That is really good stuff. Have you got some good Idaho bucks.. Do you hunt mainly regular season or have you got some of the draw tags.
BowElkDwn
ElkNut Pro Staff

Postby Haulin'Quarters » 06 05, 2012 •  [Post 9]

BowElkDwn..........I have harvested some decent bucks nothing over 184 YET. My best buck did come out of a draw unit, but I mainly hunt the resident general season because I have been putting in for sheep the last 3 years. I mainly hunt mule deer during rifle season and have not bowhunted for them in about 12 years. This year I will be rifle hunting elk :( because my brother is getting married in September...who does that? I am looking forward to chasing muleys and elk at the same time though, still nothing like chasing rutting bulls with bow in hand.
Haulin'Quarters

Postby BowElkDwn » 06 05, 2012 •  [Post 10]

Family what can you do. Your brother must not be an elk hunter or his soon to be wife really has him whipped :lol: . It should be a fun change to be able to hunt elk with a rifle though. I have thought about doing it but I just can't. Bugling bulls are too much fun.
184 is a huge buck. I haven't even seen too many that big. I am trying to get more into deer hunting and have tried to draw a few tags.
BowElkDwn
ElkNut Pro Staff

Postby JohnFitzgerald » 06 07, 2012 •  [Post 11]

Haulin'Quarters wrote:My experience with the bucks here in Idaho is that in the early bow season all of the bucks are up high in their bachelor groups. When rifle season starts the bucks are in their transitional zones staging up for the rut. Most of the deer I have shot at this time are still up high, but not like in early September. Last year the muley I shot was approximately a little over 7500' on Oct. 19th. In these transitional zones they are moving from their summer range down to find does and tend to stick to the timber bedded down the majority of the time except for ( the bewitching hours), early morning and last light, although I have found some pretty decent bucks up and changing bedding locations in the heat of the day when the sun hits their hidey holes. Early and late in the evening they tend to feed on South and East slopes, bedding on North and West during the day. The bigger they are the more nocturnal they may become depending on pressure. Glass, glass, glass......pack a pad for the rump and get comfortable, let the binos do the walking.

I don't know if this helps or if I am just rambling, but if you have any other questions I will most likely ramble on.

Second Haulin'Quarters post. Also, if I'm bow hunting mule deer I like to carry a pair of heavy wool socks. When it comes time for the stalk, I take of my boots and slip them on. Those mulies have great ears. Just don't ever forget where you left your boots, which I have done once or twice. :lol:
JohnFitzgerald

Postby JoeH2o » 06 07, 2012 •  [Post 12]

I used to do that when I was a kid, but I'd use my ol mans wool socks. He'd get so fired up! :lol:
JoeH2o
ElkNut Pro Staff

Postby Freebird134 » 06 15, 2012 •  [Post 13]

I recently heard guys talking about stalking those last 100 yards in those FiveFinger shoes (the slippers with individual toes). It seems like a good idea, and saves on the socks. I'm thinking about giving it a try this year.
Freebird134

First Name: Brandon

Postby Buckriser » 06 18, 2012 •  [Post 14]

All the larger deer I have shot have not been with any does. (Other than rutting time) it also depends on the season, archery I hunt them up high, if I have a rifle tag I'm hunting in the lowlands (foothills of the mts) you'd be surprised how many big buck hang out down low. ;)
Buckriser

Last Name: Riser

Scouting big bucks

Postby Buckriser » 06 19, 2012 •  [Post 15]

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1340116750.638572.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1340116750.638572.jpg (61.54 KiB) Viewed 14283 times

For example, all these guys were found low, and everytime I've hunted this area we see more bucks than does.
Buckriser

Postby JoeH2o » 06 23, 2012 •  [Post 16]

Nice pic! Those are all nice bucks.
JoeH2o
ElkNut Pro Staff

Scouting big bucks

Postby Buckriser » 06 28, 2012 •  [Post 17]

JoeH2o wrote:Nice pic! Those are all nice bucks.

Thank you. That was a great hunt with family and friends that I'll never forget.
Buckriser

Scouting big bucks

Postby Buckriser » 06 29, 2012 •  [Post 18]

wqwsawelgi - I am now dumber for having read your post. :)
Buckriser

Postby ElkNut1 » 06 29, 2012 •  [Post 19]

Sorry guys, these bone heads keep sneaking in, I delete them when I see them! Let me know If I miss some through a PM please!

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Scouting big bucks

Postby Buckriser » 06 29, 2012 •  [Post 20]

Will do, I thought maybe someone's acct got hacked.
Buckriser

Postby elkaholic » 07 05, 2012 •  [Post 21]

During mid August look for them to be in bachelor groups. They will be most active first thing in the morning so glassing is very productive at that time. I have found them out in the desert and and then some not 3 miles away in the peaks. They will summer where they feel secure and have a good feed/water source.
If you are scouting before the rut look for the does. The bucks will show sooner or later.
elkaholic

First Name: Leland
Last Name: Stanford

Scouting big bucks

Postby Freebird134 » 07 06, 2012 •  [Post 22]

So would you say the bigger bucks aren't with does early? I mean, should a guy actually take a spot full of does and assume no big ones would be hanging with them?
Freebird134

First Name: Brandon

Postby Buckriser » 07 06, 2012 •  [Post 23]

Freebird134 wrote:So would you say the bigger bucks aren't with does early? I mean, should a guy actually take a spot full of does and assume no big ones would be hanging with them?

I've almost never seen big bucks with with any does in the early season. Not that is doesnt happen, but If you're hunting an area where there are a lot of does, you will typically see small/young bucks with them. The larger more mature bucks will be in bachelor groups or by themselves.
Buckriser

Postby elkaholic » 07 10, 2012 •  [Post 24]

Buckriser wrote:
Freebird134 wrote:So would you say the bigger bucks aren't with does early? I mean, should a guy actually take a spot full of does and assume no big ones would be hanging with them?

I've almost never seen big bucks with with any does in the early season. Not that is doesnt happen, but If you're hunting an area where there are a lot of does, you will typically see small/young bucks with them. The larger more mature bucks will be in bachelor groups or by themselves.

Yep this is my experience too. I have seen bachelor groups anywhere from 2 to 15 bucks. Pretty cool watching them in velvet all hanging out together.
elkaholic

First Name: Leland
Last Name: Stanford