Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Rutting Mule Deer Tactics?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Rutting Mule Deer Tactics?

Postby Trophyhill » 06 10, 2014 •  [Post 1]

So during the January rut here in SE NM, the big bucks more often than not have a bunch of does around them and are stupid. Those does however are responsible for keeping these big bucks alive. How do you guys get close enough for a bow shot with all those eyes, ears and noses seeking you out during the rut in your neck of the woods?
Certified Elk Junky
Trophyhill

First Name: David
Last Name: B

Re: Rutting Mule Deer Tactics?

Postby twinkieman » 06 11, 2014 •  [Post 2]

Spot and stalk is one way I have been successful, however terrain does not always allow for this. I have also used pages from the whitetail hunter's playbook, and have rattled, doe bleated, and used grunt calls. I have blown more than a few chip shots with bucks that were rattled in, the excitement level got me :lol: These are things that worked for me, good luck!
twinkieman

First Name: marc
Last Name: anderson

Postby Trophyhill » 06 11, 2014 •  [Post 3]

twinkieman wrote:Spot and stalk is one way I have been successful, however terrain does not always allow for this. I have also used pages from the whitetail hunter's playbook, and have rattled, doe bleated, and used grunt calls. I have blown more than a few chip shots with bucks that were rattled in, the excitement level got me :lol: These are things that worked for me, good luck!

The only time I tried rattling and grunting, the bucks ran as fast as they could as far as they could :?: I guess I sounded terrible to those deer :(
Certified Elk Junky
Trophyhill

Postby BrentLaBere » 06 12, 2014 •  [Post 4]

Trophyhill wrote:
twinkieman wrote:Spot and stalk is one way I have been successful, however terrain does not always allow for this. I have also used pages from the whitetail hunter's playbook, and have rattled, doe bleated, and used grunt calls. I have blown more than a few chip shots with bucks that were rattled in, the excitement level got me :lol: These are things that worked for me, good luck!

The only time I tried rattling and grunting, the bucks ran as fast as they could as far as they could :?: I guess I sounded terrible to those dear :(

I would guess the does took off and the buck followed?....They normally wouldn't shy away. And if anything it would gain their curiosity.
BrentLaBere

First Name: Brent
Last Name: LaBere

Postby twinkieman » 06 12, 2014 •  [Post 5]

One problem with rattling is if in open terrain, setup positions that offer concealment are hard to find. While deer can not ,in my opinion, pinpoint the exact location of the rattling, like a bull can pinpoint our elk calling, they still can get it pretty close. If you could see deer run away when you rattled, they probably could see your calling location as well. Was it a good setup? Also , it can and does work at times, but not every time, so perseverance is a must if you are going to employ this tactic.
twinkieman

Postby Trophyhill » 06 12, 2014 •  [Post 6]

BrentLaBere wrote:
Trophyhill wrote:

The only time I tried rattling and grunting, the bucks ran as fast as they could as far as they could :?: I guess I sounded terrible to those dear :(

I would guess the does took off and the buck followed?....They normally wouldn't shy away. And if anything it would gain their curiosity.

That's exactly what happened. I was quite a distance from the herds stashed behind some mesquite that I could see thru on the separate occasions with the same result. The does perked their ears up looking in my direction for a couple seconds then took off in a hurry taking the bucks with them
Certified Elk Junky
Trophyhill

Postby BrentLaBere » 06 13, 2014 •  [Post 7]

Trophyhill, I would look at the timing of your calling. And by that I mean time of year. You caught that buck you were trying to call at a time of which he had a hot doe....not going to call him away with anything! Although, just saying that I can think of a time I rattled in a small coulee bottom and had a nice 5 point crest the hill behind me, only to retreat back to where he came. 30 minutes later I saw a doe and fawn feeding across the way with that same buck right on their tails. I believe that buck was curious of his competition. and what they may have been fighting for. Earlier in the year, or if he doesn't have a hot doe, he would be coming into those horns.
Bucks that get bumped from their summer feeding grounds and bachelor groups by the dominant buck, will start to cruise. I think this goes with the timing of when the does first start going into heat. This is when I would stick to doe bleats for my go to call. For me, in ND, it would be around the 2nd week of November until thanksgiving weekend. To get aggressive again after that I would start smacking horns together mid day, trying to gain curiosity of any bedded buck in the near area. Deer, same as elk, will go back into heat for a second cycle allowing you to still do some calling.

But to get back to your original question. FOOD! Find their food source and pattern the does. If they are in heat, that buck or multiple bucks, will be following them. I like to glass from a distant vantage point. Over a mile even. And when they get out of their beds and head in a general direction, I will use the crest of a hill, or another coulee bottom to run and gain that ground and try to head them off. Much like a spot and stalk for elk. I would stay away from calling to a buck that is tending does. Just my opinion though
BrentLaBere

First Name: Brent
Last Name: LaBere

Postby Trophyhill » 06 13, 2014 •  [Post 8]

Thanks for the feedback. These bucks indeed had hot does. These deer are very easy to pattern during this time. They are doing the same thing every day. The problem with trying to pattern them is they could be doing what they are doing 500 yards + away from where they were the evening before if not bumped. The food source is choya cactus and prickly pears and browse from the dry saw grass and yucca's in this area and it's scattered so pinpointing can be tough although there are some "cactus patches" I've snuck into that they like and come close a few times before being spotted or smelled. The winds swirl a lot that time of year
Certified Elk Junky
Trophyhill

Postby twinkieman » 06 13, 2014 •  [Post 9]

You might also try a brushed in ground blind, if you have a place that they frequent at times. Use as many precautions for scent control as is possible. Not my cup of tea, but it can work out for you. Also don't forget you could call from the blind as well, doe bleats, and grunt calls, and an occasional rattling sequence.
twinkieman

Postby Trophyhill » 06 13, 2014 •  [Post 10]

twinkieman wrote:You might also try a brushed in ground blind, if you have a place that they frequent at times. Use as many precautions for scent control as is possible. Not my cup of tea, but it can work out for you. Also don't forget you could call from the blind as well, doe bleats, and grunt calls, and an occasional rattling sequence.

As in going out to known rutting areas maybe a month before season and building some brush blinds? Some of these areas are also great vantage points to glass from. I've been contemplating a leafy style camo as well.
Certified Elk Junky
Trophyhill

Postby twinkieman » 06 13, 2014 •  [Post 11]

No, I would use a portable blind, I own a double bull matrix, they set up easily, but for deer and elk you need to still brush them in. If you don't deer and elk seem to pick them right out.
twinkieman

Postby Trophyhill » 06 14, 2014 •  [Post 12]

twinkieman wrote:No, I would use a portable blind, I own a double bull matrix, they set up easily, but for deer and elk you need to still brush them in. If you don't deer and elk seem to pick them right out.

I like that idea. The good thing is where I hunt deer, the terrain isn't steep and packing a blind would be easy.
Certified Elk Junky
Trophyhill

Postby twinkieman » 06 14, 2014 •  [Post 13]

I strap mine onto my pack, works great. :D
twinkieman