Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Alaska sitka 2016

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Alaska sitka 2016

Postby swmoelk » 05 08, 2014 •  [Post 1]

Ive got an Alaska trip booked on POW. First week of September in 16. I'm going after alpine Sitka,halibut and salmon,and putting in for the bear draw. I get to take my wife my father in law who is more father than inlaw and my hunting buddy that I've known since JR High. Will be taking the Hoyt and a 243 strapped to the pack. I plan on the 2 nicest weather days to backpack to the alpine and live the high life and try to take a buck or two. Then do some fishing and hopefully put my wife on a fall bear. I have a cabin on Thorne bay a truck and skiff. Any suggestions ideas or encouraging words would be appreciated. I know it's two years out but I'm very excited and love planning hunts. Other than upgrading rain gear I'm going to be using my elk pack and all my backpack gear from my Colorado hunt. Thanks guys
swmoelk

First Name: jarred
Last Name: brotherton

Re: Alaska sitka 2016

Postby LckyTylr » 05 15, 2014 •  [Post 2]

That's exciting news, I bet you are just chomping at the bit to get up there. :D

Advice, I don't have much other than a tip to keep yourself sane (if you will be anywhere near tundra). If you are up there before the first frost of the fall, or even before the first deep frost, make SURE you have a REALLY good bug suit for the mosquitoes. Also, at some point, the sound of the skeeters will nearly drive you INSANE!!! Take some earplugs with you so you can sit in your tent for an hour without the bug suit, earplugs or iPod will drown out the swarming sound of them outside your tent.

On a 5 day caribou trip I took North of the Arctic Circle, I nearly went mad listening to the mosquitoes, just the thought of them swarming around trying to find the one hole I had in my bug suit. Ugh. It probably wouldn't have been as bad had we caught the migration, we were about a week too early.
LckyTylr

First Name: Tyler
Last Name: Sisson

Re: Alaska sitka 2016

Postby swmoelk » 05 21, 2014 •  [Post 3]

Thanks for the heads up. Iv got a haul road hunt in my back pocket if I ever get some time off in the summer. I won't hit the migration but getting up there with my boy just camping and finding a resident would be amazing. Right now I'm focusing on SE Alaska . How did you do on the caribou? Was it a drop of float hunt?
swmoelk

First Name: jarred
Last Name: brotherton