Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Whitetail Hunters

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Whitetail Hunters

Postby WindedBowhunter » 11 07, 2013 •  [Post 1]

Do we have any whitetail hunters in the woods? How has your season been thus far? What state are from?
Keep the wind in your face
Certified NASP & Explore Bowhunting Instructor
APA Archery, Victory Arrows, Hamskea, Stokerized ProStaff
WindedBowhunter
Site Sponsor

First Name: Rudy
Last Name: Hassall

Re: Whitetail Hunters

Postby BrentLaBere » 11 07, 2013 •  [Post 2]

Bow hunting is now over for me. Rifle opens up this Friday at noon but I wont be making it out until the second or third weekend.
BrentLaBere

First Name: Brent
Last Name: LaBere

Postby aron » 11 07, 2013 •  [Post 3]

I've been bow hunting whitetail for the past 10 yrs. It has been rather slow this year and I've only sat in a tree stand a few times this year. Been busier with elk and mule deer as there hasn't been much on the cameras. I'm hunting in ND.
aron

First Name: Aron

Postby WindedBowhunter » 11 07, 2013 •  [Post 4]

We've been slow here as well, until today.

I saw a total of 7 bucks and 1 doe all within 45 yards of my stand. 6 of them were 2.5 yrs old, the other was 1.5yr old.

The bucks are definitely seeking the does, as the 7 bucks all came from separate directions, criss-crossing each other paths and the normal deer trails.

I hope to pop back on stand shortly!
WindedBowhunter
Site Sponsor

Postby otcWill » 11 07, 2013 •  [Post 5]

I leave tmro morning for Illinois. Be there from then till the 19th if necc. I'll report soon but my buddy says the rut is ramping up and my dates should be perfect
otcWill

Postby WindedBowhunter » 11 07, 2013 •  [Post 6]

otcwill - Good luck, buddy! We hope to see some great pics upon your safe return!
WindedBowhunter
Site Sponsor

Postby ctdad » 11 07, 2013 •  [Post 7]

I live for whitetail hunting. I'm in southeast Nebraska. Killed a great buck last weekend. Bucks were in chase mode. Rattled in about ten different bucks last week. I've decided not to buy another tag but to do all I can to help a friend kill his first deer. We start the pRocess tomorrow afterNoon.
ctdad

Postby WindedBowhunter » 11 08, 2013 •  [Post 8]

ctad - congrats on the NE deer! I would like to hear the stories of you assisting your buddy get his first deer!
WindedBowhunter
Site Sponsor

Postby Vanish » 11 08, 2013 •  [Post 9]

Headed to Nebraska next Friday!
Vanish

First Name: Ryan
Last Name: Driskel

Postby cnelk » 11 08, 2013 •  [Post 10]

We have hunted Nebraska Whitetails for several years with great success.
Not sure about this year tho.

Have to get thru one more elk season next week first!
cnelk

First Name: Brad
Last Name: K

Postby Z Barebow » 11 08, 2013 •  [Post 11]

Most defintely. Locally, I am part of an urban hunt (Anterless only) But I get my fix in the tree. Our rifle season starts today. In the city, I don't have to wear orange and I get to witness the rutting activity. (Last year on 1st Sat AM, I witnessed 4 bucks with the biggest chasing does through a yard). I ended up killing two does that weekend. Hoping for a repeat this weekend.
Z Barebow

First Name: Brian
Last Name: Zastoupil

Postby ctdad » 11 08, 2013 •  [Post 12]

The whitetails are fired up right now in Eastern Nebraska. Can't wait to get back out this weekend with my buddy. Another good friend shot a really cool drop tine buck yesterday not far from here. He grunted him in. I'm pulling out the decoys and estrus scents and getting aggressive now. It is so much fun!
ctdad

Postby WindedBowhunter » 11 10, 2013 •  [Post 13]

Good to hear that you guys are seeing some action!

I hope that action heads our way at the end of this week!
WindedBowhunter
Site Sponsor

Postby ctdad » 11 10, 2013 •  [Post 14]

My buddy got his first whitetail this am. He passed a spike and took a big doe. If I could have kept him in the stand I think we had a good chance at a buck eventually bc they are really moving now. However, his first deer ever was down within sight and he couldn't sit any other. I totally can relate and we celebrated the kill all day!
ctdad

Postby wawhitey » 11 10, 2013 •  [Post 15]

just got my whitetail in washington this year. 9pt. im thinking hes 3.5 years old. decent buck pic on new thread but here it is anyway. http://imgur.com/a/Ppsim
wawhitey

Postby wawhitey » 11 12, 2013 •  [Post 16]

and heres some of the whitetail bucks ive gotten on my cams this year. no real big guys so far, not like last year, i dont know why. anyways, enjoy.

http://imgur.com/a/F7meo
wawhitey

Postby NCelkhtr » 11 13, 2013 •  [Post 17]

went to Ohio last week to try and catch the rut. The last 3 days of the hunt they were on fire and chasing does hard. Saw 7 bucks saturday morning 3 of them shooters but no shots, my buddy watched a 150 class buck breed a doe at yards with no shot. 8 am Sunday morning had a huge 8 ptr chase a dow under me, finally got him to stop running by hollering at him just as I released the arrow he lunged forward after the doe again and the arrow hit him way back. Trailed him for about yards ran out of blood and continued to make circles and look for him until dark before heading back to North Carolina. Great hunt but about hurled by the end of the day lol I was sick.
NCelkhtr

First Name: Zack
Last Name: Benfield

Postby wawhitey » 11 13, 2013 •  [Post 18]

im not usually inclined to take pics of things like this, or even have my camera with me in the woods, but i thought this scrape i found today was pretty impressive. lots of rubbed trees around it too. is right where i heard my buck thrashing around on sunday before he came out into my field of view.

http://imgur.com/a/MgzjR
wawhitey

Postby WindedBowhunter » 11 13, 2013 •  [Post 19]

wawhitey - Those are some very nice deer, indeed!

I am hoping to get on stand the next few mornings, as I am unable to hunt all day due to the fact that I do have to run a business...
WindedBowhunter
Site Sponsor

Postby wawhitey » 11 16, 2013 •  [Post 20]

so after the last two years of nobody at all hunting here except locals ( 4x minimum antler restrictions for whitetails went in for 2011 season ) my area got slammed by out of towners. let me clarify for you east coasters. by slammed i mean 4 camps on the same chunk of state land. thats a lot for here tho. funny thing is, ill go by to see if theyve gotten anything, and any hour of day, be it last hour of daylight, or mid day, theyre all sitting around barbeques drinking beer wearing hunter orange. needless to say after a week of this theres still only a couple young dink 8 pointers hanging up down on the state land, and these guys should be going home tomorrow i would think. just an update of the local whitetail hunting around here. good thing none of these guys are halfway motivated or competent
wawhitey

Postby fm » 11 17, 2013 •  [Post 21]

Been out putting in a lot of time in the woods since I got back from Co. Saw a couple of real nice bucks but they did not get big by being dumb. Evey time I seen them they came out on the other end of the field. I have shot a doe for my son and his wife who just had my first grandson a month ago. Rifle season started last weekend so my daughters are hunting with rifle and I am still bow hunting. We were out yesterday and I had a doe that I was thinking about shooting because we did not have one in the freezer yet when I hear a shot from behind me so I don`t shoot the doe because I knew Sara had got one. My phone vibrates and she texts me she has one down. She said it was not that big. You know the saying it shrunk after I shot it. When we got to it she says wow it grew after I shot it. Both of my girls are really good shots and I am proud of both of them for only taking the shot when they know it will be a good clean shot. Here is a couple of pics.
fm

Postby Vanish » 11 20, 2013 •  [Post 22]

With an empty freezer due to CO 7 Tag Soup, we went to Nebraska with meat on our minds...

Here's hoping next year we can get an elk and I can hold out for a good WT again. I spent an hour hunting and 2 days butchering!
Vanish

Postby otcWill » 11 20, 2013 •  [Post 23]

Dang, Vanish! You game hog!! Just kidd'n, congrats!
otcWill

Postby Stefan » 11 20, 2013 •  [Post 24]

I was finally able to stalk into range of a nice whitetail buck, not an easy thing to do in Virginia. It took three years of trying but was defiantly worth being stubborn about. I'm not big on hunting out of stands, while its very affective I get to bored. I'm glad to see other having great seasons.
Stefan

First Name: Stefan
Last Name: Wingen

Postby WindedBowhunter » 11 22, 2013 •  [Post 25]

fm and vanish, well done on getting meat for the freezer!
WindedBowhunter
Site Sponsor

Postby WindedBowhunter » 11 22, 2013 •  [Post 26]

Got a nice little yard buck this morning, he will be headed to Amish Country to get processed, then into the freezer

WindedBowhunter
Site Sponsor

Postby Vanish » 11 22, 2013 •  [Post 27]

Congrats Winded and fm!
Vanish

Postby BrentLaBere » 11 25, 2013 •  [Post 28]

Nice work WindedBowhunter
Congrats to the other whitetail hunters as well.
BrentLaBere

First Name: Brent
Last Name: LaBere

Postby Z Barebow » 11 25, 2013 •  [Post 29]

I have been jinxed this year. My WT hunting is almost exclusively on an urban hunt. (I cannot shoot bucks). You can guess what has given me the most opportunities?

In the last 3 weekends, I have had 4 different bucks at 12 yards or less. The does either pick me off or take a different path. Yesterday a worn serving killed me. Drew back on a doe and arrow falls of the string! (Never happened to me in 30+ years of bowhunting!) I moved stands yesterday to get better sky break up and adjust for deer movement.

Not for a lack of deer. On Veterans Day weekend, I spent 25 hours in the tree. I am sure some of the deer were duplicates as I was hunting the same general area, but I saw 18 bucks and 23 does/fawns. (Caveat- approx. 1/4 of the deer were on the wrong side of the river IE different state) But still cool to watch the rutting behavior.

The fat lady isn't even in the room though. I can hunt until Jan 31. It is ND, so mosquitos will no longer be an issue :)
Z Barebow

Postby WindedBowhunter » 11 26, 2013 •  [Post 30]

z - hang in there, this was an urban area so I do feel your pain. The issue I was having was not seeing any does...

I will be hunting a park in December for 3 days, so I hope to fill the rest of the freezers.

Good luck all who are travelling in the nasty weather for Thanksgiving and stay safe!
WindedBowhunter
Site Sponsor

Postby otcWill » 12 10, 2013 •  [Post 31]

Congrats to all! Here's a double I shot on my illinios bowhunt in November.
Attachments
buck resized.jpg
buck resized.jpg (193.99 KiB) Viewed 37576 times
otcWill

Postby otcWill » 12 10, 2013 •  [Post 32]

Doe dressed 145#! My biggest to date
Attachments
doe.jpg
doe.jpg (135.74 KiB) Viewed 37572 times
otcWill

Postby ishy » 12 10, 2013 •  [Post 33]

I'm kinda on of those whitetail is an afterthought. I have a job that I have to be on call quite a bite, so I have a little spot within call distance that helps. It's been pretty handy. I've tagged a cow elk, and two little whitetail bucks while on call. This year I got a spike with my bow during rifle season, and got the kill shot on video.
ishy

First Name: Bryan
Last Name: L

Postby WindedBowhunter » 12 10, 2013 •  [Post 34]

OctWill very nice, congratulations!
WindedBowhunter
Site Sponsor

Postby Indian Summer » 12 12, 2013 •  [Post 35]

Nice Will! Congrats buddy.

The 2nd rut has kicked in here in Pa like I've never seen before. Bucks are chasing does everywhere and it's the middle of the gun season. The cold temps seemed to have helped as the does are up and feeding a lot. I haven't found one I want to shoot yet. I've been both bow and gun hunting. Saturday is the last day but I'm not impatient..... we have the whole month of January for a late bow season and I love it then. With elk in the freezer I'm just horn hunting.
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby Z Barebow » 12 16, 2013 •  [Post 36]

Well perseverance has paid off. I killed a small doe the day after turkey day. (One of 20 deer I saw that morning. Probably best quantity sit in over 30 years of WT hunting) Then on Sunday 12/8 I filled a second tag. It was a balmy +4F when I killed deer #2. (And I do mean balmy, other days surrounding hunt were below zero for daily highs)

I could buy more tags, but my bow has not been shooting well. (And I consider myself lucky to kill what I did) Ordered new string and cables. Measured them up against the old ones. I'll bet each cable and string is ~1" too long (IE Stretched) No wonder I have been having troubles after summer shooting! I need the off season to get equipment back on track.
Z Barebow

Postby otcWill » 12 17, 2013 •  [Post 37]

Congrats, Z! Thanks, Joe, keep us posted on the PA 2nd rut. I never did see much for bucks between gun season and January growing up hunting in NJ. I did see a lot of bucks herded up and had some great frigid hunts in January bow though! Good luck and keep us posted
otcWill

Postby Willie makit » 12 25, 2013 •  [Post 38]

Headin to deer camp tonight for 4 nights to try and cash in on the peak rut.
Willie makit

First Name: Thomas

Postby cnelk » 12 26, 2013 •  [Post 39]

My daughter and i Just got to a small nebraska town from sitting in a Nebraska river bottom.
We each saw a bunch of deer. She sat in a tree stand and I was 300yds away in a fallen down cottonwood.
She just couldn't get a decent shot at any deer she was seeing.
As Luck would have it, an antlerless deer committed a mistake and walked right up to me.
We will be headed out again in the morning.
cnelk

First Name: Brad
Last Name: K

Postby chrisschwarz » 12 30, 2013 •  [Post 40]

To Winded and all awesome job.

My archery hunting this fall was terrible but I think we just had too much activity with all the logging going on with our properties and the neighbors.

I saw one deer all fall from the treestand. Ugly period.

I did take a nice busted up 12pt ( should have let him pass but his body size threw me off, small body with a good size rack) during our "holiday hunt" with a gun and I am happy. Have meat in the freezer but the deal is mount it or European mount plus fix the tines. So it will be a cool looking Euro mount when done.

I still have a bow tag and about a week left. The cold weather should get them moving but will be hard to sit for anything over an hour to hour and a half with a bow.
chrisschwarz

First Name: Chris
Last Name: Schwarz

Postby Mikeha33 » 12 31, 2013 •  [Post 41]

Today is my last day with my bow, and I'm at work right now, will be til noonish, but after that, I'm gonna give it one last hunt, and settle for anything 135" or bigger. On October 27th, I rattled in an absolute giant 180" 11 point to 47 yards, but he never presented me with a shot. 2 days later I passed on a really good tall 8 point that would have pushed 145", at 9 yards, but I couldn't stop thinking about that ol' Booner buck. I'm kicking myself now. Hunted the rut really hard, and didn't see a legit shooter the rest of season. Very frustrating. Can't wait til next season though!
Mikeha33

First Name: Michael
Last Name: Halsey

Postby Willie makit » 12 31, 2013 •  [Post 42]

I got back Sunday, had nothin but bad luck, my bud said I was snake bit. If I was it was a doubleheaded copper mouthed rattle moccasin, and he bit me twice. In breif it went like this:
Day one 8 am shot a huge 8pt 30 yards broadside low lung high heart with down angle, called my dad to meet me at 10 AM cause deer ran off and I have trouble seeing blood (another story) We trailed 200 yards to deep ditch full go water. decided I'd go back in the am and go around lake it other side and look. Next morning water over boots, get waders, water over waders too. Go back to where I know it should be crossable with waders and tear my waders at the boot, which I didn't find till 1/2 way across water.
I'm suspect the deer jumped in water and never came up, fair amount of current there never found him, on way back to stand I find my arrow, less g5 broadhead and 2inches of shaft. Smooth break, now I'm sick really sick but it happens.

Day two slipped on step 2 to lock on and jabbed step 3 into my ribs, sore as heck. saw two bucks only one shooter that passed me b4 I knew he was there.

Day 3 rainy drizzly and cool, 9 am missed a smaller 8 pt trailing a doe when string hit poncho, wide 3 feet, kinda funny, but not. Got down retrieved arrow, double checked it and return to climber till dark not seeing a single thing else.

Day4 one spike came from out of the ground from nowhere 10 steps from me and then walked on, at least it ended on a good note and I seen deer.

Got 12 more days to hunt before season over but after jan 10 or so they get really scarce, will see.
Willie makit

First Name: Thomas

Postby ishy » 01 14, 2014 •  [Post 43]

Here's little footage from the last couple years, nothing of any size but my first two archery bucks. Filmed both on my own the first would've been tons better just a little earlier. It was truly last light and beyond camera light.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=fO7BYjlPOZM
ishy

Postby fm » 01 14, 2014 •  [Post 44]

Cool video ishy. Thanks for sharing. I really need to start trying to film some to.
fm

Postby ishy » 01 16, 2014 •  [Post 45]

I love filming stuff. Bear and deer are always easier than elk though especially if your on your own. I get so few oppurtunities at elk I would hate loosing a chance due to trying to film. Last year I did more sitting a stand than I ever have thinking it would be a better way to film myself (and I had a wallow get hammered for a couple years on camera) and I got skunked. I got nothing but scenery and insects.
ishy

Postby Freebird134 » 01 18, 2014 •  [Post 46]

I never hunted whitetail until a few years ago. Now that I live in Wisconsin I've really adapted to it! :) I only hunt public ground around my house, so I'm not shooting the monsters you see coming out of QDM areas, but I have a blast. I stopped bowhunting after I shot my 7th whitetail in December. The tally was a 6pt, a spike (my smallest buck ever)...the next day I shot a ~110" 9pt (my biggest whitetail ever), and wrapped the season up with 3 does and a yearling. Filled my freezer and helped out 3 buddies that didn't do so well.

I had a few goals for this season and accomplished them all.
1. New biggest buck
2. Kill a deer and drag it home without getting in a vehicle (dragging a deer down pavement is harder than you think!)
3. Kill a whitetail on the ground (that was #7 in the snow)
4. New most deer in 1 season (previous was 5 whitetail and a mulie; so this year was 2 more whitetail!)

I still can't help but laugh when people say there aren't enough deer in Wisconsin!
Attachments
Screen Shot 2014-01-18 at 10.42.30 PM.png
Screen Shot 2014-01-18 at 10.42.30 PM.png (452.8 KiB) Viewed 37236 times
Freebird134

First Name: Brandon

Postby bowpackerrob » 02 10, 2014 •  [Post 47]

Nice year Freebird, like to see somebody getting it done on public ground.
bowpackerrob

First Name: Robbie
Last Name: Crocker

Postby Sneaky » 02 13, 2014 •  [Post 48]

I killed 3 does. My boy killed two does. And my wife killed 3 bucks, one was a good 11 point with split brow tines.
Sneaky

First Name: Jared
Last Name: Klein

Postby wawhitey » 02 16, 2014 •  [Post 49]

so i found a nice whitetail shed in the woods today. a left with 6 points (mainframe 5x with a double brow) came home had lunch, and decided i just had to go out and look for the matching right side before dark. found it about 70 yards from where i found the first one, after about 20 or 30 min of looking around, and the right side also had double brows. anyway ive never been able to figure out how to post pics on this website, but i have tried, so heres a link to an imgur album of the sheds. pretty decent, heavy horned 12pt whitetail from washington. https://imgur.com/a/AHJi5
wawhitey

Postby huntfishtrap247 » 04 18, 2014 •  [Post 50]

Killed one good buck and 3 does, all with the Mathews. It was a really challenging year with the mast we had out east here!
huntfishtrap247

First Name: Paul
Last Name: P

Postby RedBud » 02 15, 2015 •  [Post 51]

It is usually not hard to get a deer in Ohio. The deer are large and do occasionally have large racks. However, I hunt near Wayne National Forest in a location where the hunting pressure is high. That is good if you are meat hunting but not so good if you are after a trophy deer. It has been about three years since I've seen a ten point buck in the woods. Last year I killed three deer, none were trophies. This past year, I didn't get a single deer. The weather was bad most of the time and I let work take away from my hunting. I hope to do better this year. Since I didn't get a deer, I got a new rifle. It is a .44 Cal Rugger semi-automatic rifle chambered for pistol bullets which is now legal in Ohio. That should do the trick!
RedBud

Postby foxvalley » 03 10, 2015 •  [Post 52]

2014 bow kill.jpg
2014 bow kill.jpg (21.55 KiB) Viewed 36101 times

2014 gun kill.jpg
2014 gun kill.jpg (23.18 KiB) Viewed 36101 times
foxvalley

First Name: doug
Last Name: houghton

Postby wawhitey » 03 10, 2015 •  [Post 53]

Wow fox how long are the main beams on that top one?
Real eyes realize real lies
wawhitey

Postby foxvalley » 03 11, 2015 •  [Post 54]

I can't remeber the main beam length,but the bow kill is 20.5" inside, 5 1/2 years old, and the gun kill is 21" inside, and also 5 1/2 years old.We are slowly starting to see the age class go up on our farm,and at 5-6 years old, even average bucks look impressive. Here are a couple differnent angles.

2014 buck pics.jpg
2014 buck pics.jpg (32.43 KiB) Viewed 36087 times

2014 gun kill 2.jpgcomp.jpg
2014 gun kill 2.jpgcomp.jpg (38.65 KiB) Viewed 36087 times
foxvalley

Postby Elkonthebrain » 03 12, 2015 •  [Post 55]

Those are some nice bucks.
Elkonthebrain

Postby wawhitey » 03 13, 2015 •  [Post 56]

Hey if you need somebody to come kill a couple of those pesky 5 year old bucks on your property to make room for more tender little yearlings i suppose i could help you out
wawhitey

Postby foxvalley » 03 13, 2015 •  [Post 57]

LOL! If I loose all my teeth, and can't chew on these tough old bucks any more,I'll let you know!
It has been an extremely easy winter for the deer here on the farm,and they look to be in great shape to come into spring and start antler growth.

p_013020.jpg 1 horn.jpgcomp.jpg
p_013020.jpg 1 horn.jpgcomp.jpg (27.71 KiB) Viewed 36066 times
foxvalley

Postby BrianKY » 03 31, 2015 •  [Post 58]

It wasnt a terrible winter here for them. We had a few weeks below 0 but nothing as bad as last year. Even when we got our 20 inches of snow the temps stayed in the 20s. I have seen a few around the farm still packing both sides of antlers, but have also found a few sheds.
BrianKY

Postby wawhitey » 03 31, 2015 •  [Post 59]

BrianKY wrote:It wasnt a terrible winter here for them. We had a few weeks below 0 but nothing as bad as last year. Even when we got our 20 inches of snow the temps stayed in the 20s. I have seen a few around the farm still packing both sides of antlers, but have also found a few sheds.

Is that normal for your area to see whitetails packing in march? Its a very rare thing here, but just last night i started walking up one of the main trails through my woods and found a fresh forky w/ browtine shed laying right there on the trail. Had to have dropped in the last few weeks, pretty odd for up here!
wawhitey

Postby BrianKY » 04 02, 2015 •  [Post 60]

wawhitey wrote:
BrianKY wrote:It wasnt a terrible winter here for them. We had a few weeks below 0 but nothing as bad as last year. Even when we got our 20 inches of snow the temps stayed in the 20s. I have seen a few around the farm still packing both sides of antlers, but have also found a few sheds.

Is that normal for your area to see whitetails packing in march? Its a very rare thing here, but just last night i started walking up one of the main trails through my woods and found a fresh forky w/ browtine shed laying right there on the trail. Had to have dropped in the last few weeks, pretty odd for up here!

Not normal at all for them to be packing this late. Normally we start finding sheds in late February. I dont know if I have ever seen them packing this late, but that isnt worth much because I just started hunting four years ago.
BrianKY