Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Anybody Draw a Good Deer Tag?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Anybody Draw a Good Deer Tag?

Postby POk3s » 07 02, 2012 •  [Post 1]

I should say, "Anyone ELSE draw a good deer tag?"

I drew my second limited quota tag in 3 years. 2 years ago when I drew it the draw odds were around 9%. This year I did the math and it was a whopping 7 1/2%. Can't believe I've pulled this tag twice!

I honestly didn't know what I was going to do for deer this year. I've been going to the same place since I was a kid, my dad has been going there since he was a kid, and my grandpa "discovered" the place. Last year was very disappointing. Amazing how quickly an area can change when the "wrong people" get in there. Four Wheeler trails everywhere there used to just be game trails/cattle trails. No way to get away from the roads. Saw two 3 point bucks in 3 1/2 days. Very discouraging but I guess I won't have to worry about that this year.

My sister also drew a cow elk tag so this will be her first ever time hunting elk. I hope to get it on camera.
Trent Williams
ElkNut Field Staff
POk3s

Re: Anybody Draw a Good Deer Tag?

Postby ElkNut1 » 07 02, 2012 •  [Post 2]

Hey Trent, co0ngrats on your luck of the draw!!! Your sister is following in your footsteps!! (grin)

I too drew a very good Muley tag for a rut hunt, I'm pretty stoked with it! Good luck to you!!!

ElkNut/Paul
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby POk3s » 07 02, 2012 •  [Post 3]

Thanks Paul, yea she's 17 now and has only killed an antelope. I asked her if she wanted to be put in for elk this year even though it would just be a cow tag and she said yes so in she went. Was about 50% draw odds so I'm glad she drew. It's one of the units in Wyoming you were going to put in for .....which is also where the deer tag is ;) Is it September yet!?
Trent Williams
ElkNut Field Staff
POk3s

Postby ElkNut1 » 07 03, 2012 •  [Post 4]

Ahh, I see! I will most likely put in for one of those units next year! Should have good points with the "special" that we'll have a solid chance at drawing! Your sis should get into cows just fine it sounds like! Is hers a late season hunt?

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby POk3s » 07 03, 2012 •  [Post 5]

yea it shouldn't be too big of a problem finding a few nannys. It actually opens pretty early on October 6th and runs all the way until November 11th I think. Even with all the sports and crap she's in that should be plenty of time for her to get one! And I almost have my dad talked into buying her a crossbow so she can start on September 1st....but if he doesn't get on it soon then I'll just scrap that idea.
Trent Williams
ElkNut Field Staff
POk3s

Postby ElkNut1 » 07 04, 2012 •  [Post 6]

Wow, that's a long season, cool! With you as her guide she will do just fine! (grin) Make sure you share a photo with us here!!!

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby POk3s » 07 04, 2012 •  [Post 7]

Will do. Really hoping my dad gets that crossbow. I think it would be awesome to call one in for her....and maybe have a screaming bull on top of it all. My dad's girlfriend also drew the same tag and she's not much of a hunter even though she likes to pretend she's a "country girl" nowadays!
Trent Williams
ElkNut Field Staff
POk3s

Postby oilcan » 07 05, 2012 •  [Post 8]

This has been the worse draws i"ve have had in atleast the last 10 years.Not a single tag drawn and i put in for some hunts i would have drawn in past years no problem with the points i have.
My last chance is the Arizona draw so crossing my fingers.
oilcan

Postby POk3s » 07 05, 2012 •  [Post 9]

ooooo yikes!

:shock: :o
Trent Williams
ElkNut Field Staff
POk3s

Postby elkaholic » 07 05, 2012 •  [Post 10]

My Dad drew a unit 42 buck tag for the rut! Hoping for some "good" weather.
elkaholic

First Name: Leland
Last Name: Stanford

Postby POk3s » 07 06, 2012 •  [Post 11]

I'm going to guess that's a good area??? lol. I've been out scouting 3 times and have found 3 decent bucks. None the first time, one the second time, and two today. Depends what they turn into as it's hard to judge what exactly they're going to have as far as head gear, but nothing has made me shake and go "OH THERE HE IS!"....yet. Heading up camping tomorrow for the weekend in that area so it will be nothing but scouting.
Trent Williams
ElkNut Field Staff
POk3s

Postby Swede » 07 10, 2012 •  [Post 12]

I drew a bow tag for mid August on the Hart Mountain National Antelope Refuge. It is supposed to be good. I don't know the area, so I have some home work to do.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby elkmtngear » 07 23, 2012 •  [Post 13]

Congrats Swede, that unit has produced some Monster Bucks in the past. As a matter of fact, my Cousin met Emmett Burroughs there back when he was filming Monster Bucks 2 (I have since met Emmett, he is an awesome individual).

It is not improbable to see a 40+ inch Muley on Hart Mountain

Mossy Oak Pro Staffer Parrey Cremeans drew a Hart Mountain antelope tag for this Season, and he will be out there using our Moo Cow and Pronghorn decoys.
Best of Luck,
Jeff (Elknut Forums Sponsor)
http://elkmtngear.com/blog/elk-mountain/introducing-the-worlds-most-versatile-blind
the Elk Mountain SLIP System...SLIP it on, SLIP in, and get the SHOT!
elkmtngear
Site Sponsor

Postby ColoradoHunter » 08 06, 2012 •  [Post 14]

I drew a wt e/s tag for the plain season in Colorado. It's not the muley tag that I wanted, but a good tag for second choice. The area has been known to put out some really good whitetails.
ColoradoHunter

Postby POk3s » 08 09, 2012 •  [Post 15]

Congrats! From the little I know about those plains tags, there aren't too many bad ones!
Trent Williams
ElkNut Field Staff
POk3s

Postby one_elk » 08 19, 2012 •  [Post 16]

Hey Jeff

it will be interesting to hear how the cowbrealla (our name for it) works on antelope we have tried it a couple of times this year on speed goats and no luck yet but we will keep trying...
one_elk

Postby The Doc » 08 22, 2012 •  [Post 17]

Swede wrote:I drew a bow tag for mid August on the Hart Mountain National Antelope Refuge. It is supposed to be good. I don't know the area, so I have some home work to do.

looking foreward to hearing how your hunt went

i hunter hart mtn about 1980 and 81... it was owesome.

i drew a muzzloader deer tag , garden valley idaho nov. 10 - 30 th sweet
The Doc
ElkNut Pro Staff

Postby Freebird134 » 08 22, 2012 •  [Post 18]

I'm not sure how "good' it is, but I just found out this morning I got the tag I wanted: limited access archery hunt for a County Park :) It's real close to my house and surrounded by corn and bean fields. And full of whitetails. I had the tag last year and found lots of deer, good ones too. Only 12 tags, so competition should be low (I saw almost nobody else last year).
Freebird134

First Name: Brandon

Postby cantgetdrawn » 08 24, 2012 •  [Post 19]

Unit 36 NM. My buddy has been sending me pics of some nice buck. Unfortunately I had to take my vacation time a little later and will not be there until 2 weeks after opening day, I will hunt deer a few days then up to CO for OTC elk. I hope they are still around when I get up there.
cantgetdrawn

Postby Waygoner » 10 17, 2012 •  [Post 20]

My brother drew a 3rd season buck tag in CO unit 67. It took 6 points to draw. I had this tag 2 years ago and dropped a nice buck. Looking forward to going out with him since I came up empty for muzzle elk.
Waygoner

Postby Swede » 11 13, 2012 •  [Post 21]

I almost forgot to post again on how my hunt at Hart Mountain went. I let it slip my mind when I tagged a nice bull farther north. Anyway I did not get anything. During the deer season I started passing on small bucks, Later on I had no shot opportunities. That is hunting. I saw a lot of small Mule deer bucks and some great antelope. Maybe next year I will get one.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby ElkNut1 » 11 14, 2012 •  [Post 22]

I'm on my hunt this coming weekend! Went out last weekend & ran across 9 different bucks but all on the smaller size! The bucks were not running the doe's yet so hoping this coming week things turn around & they start????? Hopefully I'll have some photos? (grin)

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul