Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

idaho unit 1

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

idaho unit 1

Postby wawhitey » 02 21, 2013 •  [Post 1]

anybody hunt this unit? im planning on doing some scouting trips arouns bonner / boundary counties ...... looking for any general suggestions... been looking at my atlas and google earth and intend to start looking around both the east and west sides of priest lake. primarily interested in whitetails but muleys are open during rut up there so i would be open to taking a nice muley buck too, tho i understand they are not exactly prevalent in that unit. also ill be packing a wolf tag. any words from the wise before i start burning fuel would be appreciated. thanks
wawhitey

Re: idaho unit 1

Postby Haulin'Quarters » 02 28, 2013 •  [Post 2]

wawhitey......I do hunt unit 1 a Little bit so I will be just a little tight on info. There are some big whitetails in there, I have messed up plenty opportunities. Muleys in Nov. suck even though they are rutting tend to be a little hard to find in the transitional areas down from the high country. Around Priest Lake is a lot of private land, so get maps. One thing I have heard but have not tried is taking a canoe or raft on the thoroughfare between Upper and Lower Priest Lake ( if you do this and score, let me know). You being from WA probably know when the rut is going so I will not elaborate, but that's when to get after them. I don't know if this helps and good luck.
Haulin'Quarters