Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Mule deer tips

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Mule deer tips

Postby Freebird134 » 06 18, 2012 •  [Post 1]

Elk get a lot of discussion relative to deer it seems, since they have a lot of social behaviors, vocalizations, and usually hunted during the rut. This is obvious by the fact that there are 3 deer threads! lol But there must be some mule deer tips we can start sharing! I'm targeting mule deer for about a week (Sept 8-12) before my elk trip, so I'd love to hear some mule deer advice! Any tips on locating those big bucks in September?
Freebird134

First Name: Brandon

Re: Mule deer tips

Postby JohnFitzgerald » 06 25, 2012 •  [Post 2]

If I'm bow hunting for mule deer I like to hunt high desert and other open terrain. I like to be able to see the bucks bed down and put a stock on them. The few big muly's that I've killed in the mountains have always been right place, right time.
JohnFitzgerald

Postby elkaholic » 06 27, 2012 •  [Post 3]

Glass, Glass, Glass. The big boys will typically start moving well before light, especially if they are in a pressured area. Get to a good vantage point overlooking possible travel corridors between their feeding and bedding areas.
elkaholic

First Name: Leland
Last Name: Stanford

Postby pointysticks » 07 18, 2012 •  [Post 4]

i have full access to a ranch in NM. big property next to a game preserve. near ANIMAS, NM.

i have hunted it, and was plenty successful..we glassed ALOT. all of our kills have been rifle kills..i get the invite every year to try my bow, but i never seem to have enough time (or money).

glassing is key. i find it takes a few "spots" to calibrate my eyeballs to even see those things. for a big tan animal, with antlers..they are pretty camouflaged.
pointysticks

First Name: cliff
Last Name: l

Postby bullrub » 07 19, 2012 •  [Post 5]

I think everyone pretty much agree that glassing is the key to big Muley's. I even glass in heavy timber where I like to hunt. A big buck will let you walk right by them and not ever move. I like to still hunt very very slowy and stop often and glass. Most of the time all you see is a small part of the deer ( a tip of horn, ear,ect.). This is the method I use when hunting with a rifle or muzzleloader and has worked very well for me. Bow hunting for them, I have to agree with John. High vantage points glass and stalk.
bullrub

First Name: Dave
Last Name: Winters

Postby easeup » 07 21, 2012 •  [Post 6]

It took me what seems like 10 yrs to take my first muley buck. so you would not want any tips from me on that subject.
easeup