Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Bear Baiting

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Bear Baiting

Postby Elkhunttoo » 04 20, 2024 •  [Post 1]

This year is going to be a first for me. I’m going to try and set up a bear bait. Probably won’t get to put the bait out until the first week of may because of my location but kinda excited to try it out. I have been reading a ton and watching a ton of YouTube to get some ideas…I have a pretty good idea of what I’m using but I’m still open to new suggestions.

Anyone else baiting this year? Any tips or tricks?
Elkhunttoo

Re: Bear Baiting

Postby Lefty » 04 20, 2024 •  [Post 2]

First, what do you have available for bait?
Which state? what specific requirments in your state?

We made bear hunting a family thing.. So painted barrels ( with hunting scriptures and silly bear sayings)

Our big secret: Dont expect bears to eat too much dried food . Have you ever eaten a dried dozen donuts? :lol: :lol: :lol: without a liquid chaser

We made a lot of mistakes when we started. We had pickup loads of dfee popcorn from the theater and lots of burger fry oil,, while it is good stuff, and like many other foods bears tire of too much

Remember the woods is a huge grocery store for bears and you need to provide different or better treats!

Keep good baits in barrels Ive had 500 lbs of bait gone in 3 days and none of it was bears or wolves

While the bear baiting youtube has tons of suggestions, that is too often a waste of time ( bear crack, etc)I will say my daughters had fun making cornballs suckers and chews, leathers and bear crack but they are mostly just fun additions

Cameras add so much to what's happening and are a fun addition.
Some bears love different foods Ive had bears that thrive on coconut flour and others wont touch it

An oil drag with flavoring is fun for kids, beaver castor, tainted meat ( the only time I would use such away from the bait.) dont be afreaid to drag it 3/4 mile. Fatty and oil bases
Remember if your bear is feeding on spoiled meat,,, guess what it will smell like

Bears have an incredible nose and most bait odors will drift without too many gimmick tricks

I've fed literally tons of bait. I only use fresh baits , nothing stale rank or nasty.

One suggestion, bait should be good enough for you to snack on :lol:
Put your baits in a barrel ot a good solid log structure with limited access from other dcritters other than starting a bait.
starting a bait I want birds lots of birds, a pound of scattered popcorn is great for starting

Ill post more later,, time to go eat the turkey my daughter killed this morning!

2013-04-27 12-03-28.JPG

20210616_160507.jpg
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Re: Bear Baiting

Postby Lefty » 04 20, 2024 •  [Post 3]

I no longer mix baits one pail is fried peas, and peanut crumble The other is uncoated MandM and honey mustard pretzels

Im the fall I often feed tons of fruit, apples plums pears . If I was a single guy I would make fruit leather and heat the house at the same time :lol:
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H