Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

A Rifle Deer Hunt

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

A Rifle Deer Hunt

Postby Swede » 08 03, 2022 •  [Post 1]

My rifle deer hunt starts six days after the close of the bow elk season. I have my deer tag for the same area I elk hunt. I have a dilemma. After being gone for over five weeks bow hunting, should I stay for another two weeks, go home for a few days, but leave my camp in place, or break camp for good and call it quits for the year?
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Re: A Rifle Deer Hunt

Postby Thegreatwapiti » 08 03, 2022 •  [Post 2]

I'm elk hunting for 10 days, have to run home for 3 days, and then going back for 7-10 days. I'm wondering the same thing. Break camp and re-set-up? Leave the tent? I know you can only camp in one spot for 28 consecutive days in a national forest.
Thegreatwapiti

Postby 7mmfan » 08 03, 2022 •  [Post 3]

I'm leery of leaving camp unattended for any too long, and as TGW indicated, there are time limits on National Forest land. If you were really only going to be gone for a couple of days, I'd be inclined to leave it up and return to complete my hunt. If it is going to be more like a week, I'd probably pack it up and reset upon my return. I certainly would not choose not to hunt because I had to pack my camp up and then reset a week later. Although I fully understand how involved setting up a wall tent camp can be.
I hunt therefore I am. I fish therefore I lie.
7mmfan

Postby saddlesore » 08 12, 2022 •  [Post 4]

Here in Colorado, leaving a camp setup is less than a 50-50 chance it will be there when you get back. If it is still there, it will probably be cleaned out of everything of value. Trucks and trailers are even getting broken into or vandalized
saddlesore
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby Lefty » 08 28, 2022 •  [Post 5]

Well swede aren't we lucky we have such a dilemma!

We've let our camp sit 2-3 days. I think we're quite safe, I'm friends with the rancher, know the NF range manager, I see the whole sheriff's department at church, And I've helped out most of the local cabin owners one way or another. Not too many strangers come into the area.
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H