Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Filled one tag at least

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Filled one tag at least

Postby saddlesore » 11 02, 2021 •  [Post 1]

At my age,anything qualifies as a trophy. I had plains deer buck tag and I have some private farm land creek bottom to hunt about 60 miles from me.
I got out yesterday by myself and shot this little whitetail/muley cross.I was able to get the truck to within a few feet of it, but it was too heavy for me to throw up in the bed. I finally up cut it in half and even then it was a chore.

Gettin old sure sucks

6.5 Swede,130 gr Accubond at about 2800fps, about 150 yards.

2021 down sized.jpg
2021 down sized.jpg (416.73 KiB) Viewed 2269 times

This buck, in full rut now, has been hanging around home and Saturday morning early gored our lab dog. 5:00 AM trip to the dog ER, $550 bill. Gored in the neck,missed the traechea and is finally on the mend.Dog was on a leash,buck was about 30 feet from or basement door and charged the dog and my wife.The dog broke free and was protecting my wife.

around home buck.jpg
around home buck.jpg (250.39 KiB) Viewed 2266 times
saddlesore
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Re: Filled one tag at least

Postby 7mmfan » 11 03, 2021 •  [Post 2]

Good work on filling that tag. So sorry to hear about your dog. Must have been very scary for your wife as well. That deer sure is a nice lawn ornament, but I think he'd be making a trip to the freezer if it was me.
I hunt therefore I am. I fish therefore I lie.
7mmfan

Postby Tigger » 11 03, 2021 •  [Post 3]

Congrats on the buck and the Gorer may need to come to dinner with you.....on your plate! Glad to hear the Goree is on the mend and I remember hearing someone say you can never trust a buck with hard antlers. More proof of that. Glad you wife is okay!
Tigger

Postby saddlesore » 11 03, 2021 •  [Post 4]

That buck would be long since butchered,except other houses are too close for a rifle and I would be classified as the community bad guy, if I put an arrow in it and he made it to a neighbor's property

Someone around here is feeding them or has a salt block out.
saddlesore

Postby Indian Summer » 11 05, 2021 •  [Post 5]

Congratulations Saddlesore. I hear you. On days 1 and 2 of my hunt this year I thought of you and Swede as I was wondering how many more seasons I can do that. I honestly don’t think as long as you.

That buck has it coming for sure! He’s a wallhanger too so if I were you his days would be numbered and that number would be zero!
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby Lefty » 11 05, 2021 •  [Post 6]

Ive never seen a cross. Interesting.

Hurt my dog, came after my wife,,,my neighbors would understand How about buck shot,, soon as those other two deer move,,,

Did I share this already.
Three years back my wife hunted with her 89 yea old dad. Killed a big 3x3. They gutted it, next day had a nephew go up and pack it out
Lefty

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Swede » 11 07, 2021 •  [Post 7]

Congratulations on a dandy buck Saddlesore. I know you don't need angry neighbors, but I tend to agree with 7mm on that other buck. If it is legal and I can shoot it without endangering anyone, that buck would be toast. You can always placate angry neighbors with some venison steaks. :lol:
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby saddlesore » 11 08, 2021 •  [Post 8]

Swede wrote:Congratulations on a dandy buck Saddlesore. I know you don't need angry neighbors, but I tend to agree with 7mm on that other buck. If it is legal and I can shoot it without endangering anyone, that buck would be toast. You can always placate angry neighbors with some venison steaks. :lol:

Deer tags are all by draw in CO and I already punched mine.. If I poached it, my neighbors would turn me in pretty fast
saddlesore

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 11 08, 2021 •  [Post 9]

That’ll fill a couple shelf’s in your freezer with wild game Vince, nice work.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Elkhunttoo » 11 08, 2021 •  [Post 10]

Sorry to hear about the dog and your wife…I’m sure your weren’t happy

Congrats on the buck
Elkhunttoo