Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

40th Birthday Moose Hunt

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

40th Birthday Moose Hunt

Postby GoGriz1234 » 03 26, 2021 •  [Post 1]

I have been talking about doing a moose hunt for my 40th birthday (3 years away) for some time now. I got discouraged when the pricing for Alaskan moose seem to have kept climbing higher and higher in the recent years (guided). I was then thinking Alaskan drop camp, but the logistics seem overwhelming. My hope was reinvigorated this evening while looking at prices for a Canadian moose hunt on the interior. I would ideally love to drive from Western Montana so I can can bring all of the meat back. Does anyone have any experience or advice they can share on this topic? I ultimately want to come back with meat and memories, with the rack size being third in the list (but I still want the euro on my wall). Just thought I would throw it out to the people with way more knowledge and skills than me and see if anyone has some advice.

Thanks!
GoGriz1234

First Name: Jeff
Last Name: Marshall

Re: 40th Birthday Moose Hunt

Postby Lefty » 03 27, 2021 •  [Post 2]

A long ago trapping partner has taken a Canada bull moose and goose hunt for 35 consecutive years, driving from southern Minnesota. He brings all the meat back.
I don't recall where he hunted. The goose hunting was guided, and if Iremember correctly, he often hunts alone for his moose. Same guide, Packs out the moose .

Our family has drawn 3 Idaho moose hunts. A great family type of hunt.
Will the border be open?
Pull the kids from school and make the hunt s vacation
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Swede » 03 28, 2021 •  [Post 3]

I am not much help here, but am interested in how this thread goes. I think a moose hunt would be a lot of fun. I think you need a guide or to hunt with a resident if you are in Canada. My cousin's friend got a monster Alaska moose last Fall without any guide, but he is a resident.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby GoGriz1234 » 03 28, 2021 •  [Post 4]

Thanks Lefty - I am still looking at drop camps in Alaska, but it would be nice to find a place I can go back to every few years while keeping all the meat. From what I have read, the Canadian moose and the Shiras, both smaller than the big boys found in Alaska can be found in Alberta. I am eyeing a Shiras hunt near Banff as I can be there in 5 hours. I think this first go around will be with my brother, but I would love to bring the family if I do it again in a few years. I have a lot of feelers out to a lot of guides right now, so we’ll see what comes of it.
GoGriz1234

Postby GoGriz1234 » 04 01, 2021 •  [Post 5]

So after much research and a lot of back and forth, I finally pulled the trigger with TrophyHunters out of Alberta. From what I came across, they seem like a great outfit with a great outlook on what to expect. I will be hunting right around the Banff area, out of a small camp (wall tents). This will let me drive so I can bring back all the meat. I am happy to have this in the hopper, but as it’s still 3 years away, I am sure my excitement will be tamed for a while longer. I’ll update this thread as it gets closer, for anyone wanting future information.

Hopefully checking off a species from my bucket list, and if nothing else, from what I am told it’s some darn pretty country to see!
GoGriz1234

Postby Lefty » 04 02, 2021 •  [Post 6]

Let us know when they let US hunters back into Canada.
My daughter posted on FB when she drew here moose tag,...
" My dad was more excited than I could ever be"
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H