Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Boomstick, Smokepole, or Stick n' String for Deer?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

What weapon have you primarily hunted deer with the past 5 years?

Rifle/modern
29%
Muzzle Loader
No votes
Archery Gear
29%
Combo between two or more (where I hunt, you can hunt more than one weapon choice/season each year)
43%

View results

Boomstick, Smokepole, or Stick n' String for Deer?

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 12 16, 2020 •  [Post 1]

I know we have all types of deer hunters (weapon of choice) on WapitiTalk. I was curious to hear what your primary weapon is each year? Let's say, for the purpose of this thread...… the past 5 hunting seasons. Yes, I did put a multi-weapon option in the poll for those that feel they hunt with a pretty even split between two or more types of weapons, obviously, if allowed in the state you hunt.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Re: Boomstick, Smokepole, or Stick n' String for Deer?

Postby Tigger » 12 17, 2020 •  [Post 2]

Shotgun! We cannot use a rifle where we hunt deer.
Tigger

Postby ishy » 12 17, 2020 •  [Post 3]

I've taken several during rifle season with a bow.
ishy

First Name: Bryan
Last Name: L

Postby wawhitey » 12 17, 2020 •  [Post 4]

I chose bow because thats what ive been doing the last handful of years, due to better bucks in the "archery unit" (no mf rut hunt) in my area. I may do some rifle deer hunting next year though as ive found a place very close to home that ive overlooked for the last 10 years, that i think might be really killer for the late rifle hunt here. I dont think im the only guy thats overlooked this area. My spidey senses are tingling. I set a couple cameras earlier this month. The only thing that concerns me is the unprecedented amount of wolf tracks in this area, and of course significant lion activity. But i think my 2 legged competition would be pretty much nonexistent. Pretty sweet looking area that ive never explored, and it seems like nobody really hunts it. And its only like 3 miles away from home. Dont know why ive never investigated until recently
Real eyes realize real lies
wawhitey

Postby Elkhunttoo » 12 18, 2020 •  [Post 5]

Deer—— I have been putting in for super hard to hunt draw tags for deer here in Idaho. This means I’m hunting with my bow and rifle on the general hunts. During bow season it has to be a good four point (our better) to pull me away from the elk. So I mainly general rifle hunt. In 2021 I’m going to switch it up and put in for a muzzleloader hunt. If I draw I get to buy a muzzleloader :D
Elkhunttoo

Postby Lefty » 01 02, 2021 •  [Post 6]

I look for easy buck during archery elk. Then look for and hunt a bigger buck rifle season.

Had a property in Dakotas I should see if the now oldtimer is still on the ranch. lots of nice deer, the place looked like a feed lot.

Just got off Google earth,.. Wow has that place changed, Wild lands are pastured, pastures are tilled Sad what progress has done.
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H