Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

OTC Mule Deer States

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

OTC Mule Deer States

Postby HurricaneHuge » 12 14, 2012 •  [Post 1]

Starting to plan my Western Hunt Possiblities for next year. Not exactly sure when I'll be able to get free to hunt, so I'm trying to map out a few options. I went West for my first time last fall, chasing elk in Colorado. I don't have any preference points accrued in any state, so I'm looking for what states you guys think offer the best OTC hunting. Not looking for any of your guys' specific areas, just where you go OTC and why. Thanks in advance!
HurricaneHuge

Re: OTC Mule Deer States

Postby Swede » 12 14, 2012 •  [Post 2]

Southeast oregon for archery. All rifle hunts are draw or land owner. If you check the record books you will see Oregon has produced more than its share, but you will need to do your home work to have a reasonable chance.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby ElkNut1 » 12 16, 2012 •  [Post 3]

Idaho is a good state to consider! It's OTC throughout most of the state. There are many draw areas as well but it has no point system so as a first time hunter here you have as good a chance as any other non-resident! OTC would be the way to go though just to get a Mule Deer Hunt in! Get good 10X42 Binos & a decent Spotting Scope, these are essential for that type of hunt to locate 1st then hunt them! You can hunt with archery or rifle depending on dates chosen! Are you looking for a regular buck or trophy or nothing? If trophy only then you'll put in some hard earned time & draws my be the best for you but could take years to finally draw?

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby Swede » 12 16, 2012 •  [Post 4]

Some pal you are Elknut. You kill the biggest buck in Idaho, then invite someone to go hunting there. At least I left all of the bucks alone so they would be available for guys like Hurricanehuge. ;)
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby HurricaneHuge » 12 21, 2012 •  [Post 5]

Not strictly Trophy hunting, ElkNut. I'd obviously like to shoot something nice, but probably wouldn't be overly picky. Buck hunting for sure. I'm more interested in being able to hunt versus waiting to get into the top units. Idaho is certainly on the radar, if nothing else because I've heard how rugged it is. I hadn't considered Oregon, Swede, but I'll certainly have to look into that.
HurricaneHuge