Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Got to Brag on my Son

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Got to Brag on my Son

Postby Deanmac » 01 05, 2020 •  [Post 1]

My son Bryce is 15 years old, I am 65, yes his birthday is in June and I turned 50 in July. Needless to say he is my life.

Bryce took 5 does in 14 hours Saturday PM and this morning. Four of the does were huge, the manager said he figured a couple went 150 lbs live weight, that is big for Georgia. 120, 180, 200, 250, 250 yards no missed shots and the 35 yards was the maximum recovery distance. Two did not move out of their tracks. Our guide was the wildlife manager for the farm and he told Bryce he was a sniper. LOL Note on the gun he was using: 40 year old Remington 742 Woodmaster 30-06, I have heard so much over the years "jam master" not accurate, etc. Ole gun got it done over weekend.
Now the amazing thing the 250 yard shot we only saw one deer, after the shot, it ran off. When we went to the place it was standing another deer was lying there dead. The bullet went through the first deer and hit the second deer in the neck, which was behind a bush. Yes two deer down with one shot? First deer was just out of sight in the brush.

This was a doe only management hunt on a 4200 AC private farm in Lee County, Georgia. Four kids were able to participate. Free hunt, lodging and food.
They took 12 deer in two Hunts. None were taken Saturday morning. 7 Yesterday and 5 today.

They drew for a deer rifle for one of kids to win. Bryce was the winner and when he went up to except the prize, he gave it to one of the other kids, that he just meet the day before. This was a 11 year old little boy "Bo" and a family friend had brought him for the weekend. This was his first deer hunt. He got his first deer this morning. I don't think the kids father was in his life and for sure the kid did not own a gun. Bryce said he had a gun and wanted Bo to have it. This was Bryce's idea and I don't think there was a dry eye in the place. Never been so proud of him!!!!!

Not
Deanmac

Re: Got to Brag on my Son

Postby Swede » 01 05, 2020 •  [Post 2]

Dean, you have an amazing story and an amazing kid. Congratulations to both of you. Bryce is special.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Deanmac » 01 06, 2020 •  [Post 3]

Thanks you Swede, I am a lucky father.
Deanmac

Postby 2Rivers » 01 08, 2020 •  [Post 4]

That's a great reflection of how he was raised! Well done dad.
2Rivers

Postby Lefty » 01 09, 2020 •  [Post 5]

He learned sharing the experience is a better memory
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H