Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Rainy Blacktail

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Rainy Blacktail

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 10 19, 2019 •  [Post 1]

Taking the .243 for an early morning walk tomorrow. Don’t expect to see a shooter this early in the rut but you never know. It’s a full rain gear day ;)
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Re: Rainy Blacktail

Postby Roosiebull » 10 19, 2019 •  [Post 2]

tell ya what, this can be a great time to be in the woods. I have seen some monster bucks right around the 20th over the years.... there is something special about this timeframe.... the big bucks move and mark territory, can be seen randomly mid day. I have seen too many big bucks within a day of the 20th, i'm 100% confident it's more than coincidence.

the biggest buck I have ever seen was a 167 1/8" behemoth I saw shot a few years ago on the 19th, bluebird day... a couple years ago I was tagged out, but wanted to be in the woods on the 20th, and it was really nice weather, 60's and sunny... 11am I walked up on a stud (i'm guessing very close to 150") 4x4 working over a willow tree, then same road system an hour later, a mature 3pt working over a different willow tree.

another year I saw one of the biggest framed bucks I have ever seen, but he was a massive forky, like if he was a 4x4 he'd be around 150" buck... he was insane huge, obviously an old monarch in his prime, that was the 20th, about 10:30am in the sunshine.

if you have seen willows in the past that get hammered by bucks, the next couple days, they should be getting shredded.... there is something significant to bucks about willow trees, and the same ones will get hammered year after year, so if you know of any of those, hang out around them the next couple days, or put a camera on them so you can wish you would have :P

if i could pick only 3 days to deer hunt, it would be the 19th-21st... i have seen more mega bucks during that time than any other, and it's been too consistent to be coincidence.

good luck man! my wife got her first big game animal monday, little forky with a magnum body, and i took a buddy yesterday and he killed another 2.5yr old forky... mature bucks should be moving regularly now though, especially in the crappy weather.... i'm jealous, i have a bow tag, and am really missing being out there with my rifle now, but i'll be happy in Nov ;)
Roosiebull

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 10 19, 2019 •  [Post 3]

Thanks for the note Roosie and congrats to Mrs Roosie on her buck! I’ve lived around here, off and on, for over 30 years and just started getting interested in BTs the past few years. They’re an interesting species to say the least.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Roosiebull » 10 19, 2019 •  [Post 4]

i'm of course passionate about elk hunting like everyone else, but chasing blacktail is right there for me. they are so mysterious, and this time of year, there is no prettier animal in the woods than a blacktail buck... seeing that white face never gets old
Roosiebull