First Name: RJ

Re: On a deer hunt

Postby Swede » 10 16, 2019 •  [Post 3]

Beautiful country. Best wishes.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Re: On a deer hunt

Postby Lefty » 10 17, 2019 •  [Post 4]

My daughters boyfriend Andrew came along.

Since it was early afternoon my daughter wanted to walk in "The Hole" maybe the only place we hunt that weve named.There is plenty of country, a 20 minute ATV ride up an ATV trail then a 30-40 minute walk to the top of The Hole or hunting the way in an hour or two longer.

We have a lot of options. Andrew wanted to see "The Hole" a place he had heard of big buck stories , and near where Julie had shot her first deer. The area is 120-280 yards wide, and twice as long. Thick and nasty. A great hidy hole for big bucks

We reviewed where we would hunt. I was quite firm that we only get one chance to hunt the area or the bucks will abandon the huntable area.

I have a derogatory term labeled after an acquaintance Breydon. It is when I give up a place for someone willing to hunt where I would have hunted "A Breydon"
A Breydon goes in and then abandons the location and doesnt do what they say they will or understand the how to hunt a location

My instruction was detailed,..
Sneak in:
dont move for the last 2 hours;
deer could be bedded in the hole, dont leave until shooting light is gone. It is a tough commitment.

Well after an hour of glassing the hole they hadn't seen a deer and thought they would walk to a few further ridges. They walked through The hole,.. full of sign,.. and 5 big bucks, that busted hard

Kind of an interesting walk out. We kept bumping deer a couple bucks a little forky with a big brother tall 3x4 let us within 40 yards ,.. 20 mnutes after shooting.

I was less than happy and in the past simple mistakes were OK, and I was still a bit wired from their screwup .
I settled down, We did have a good hunt,, I put them on big deer,.. And time on the mountainside is never wasted by me.
Then to top it off the moon rise was incredible.
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H