Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Longbow buck

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Longbow buck

Postby Osage Outlaw » 10 15, 2019 •  [Post 1]

Yesterday I killed my largest traditional deer with a 56# longbow. I did a lot of work clearing brush around an overgrown pond in our woods this past spring. I've been seeing a good increase of deer activity since then. I've been getting pictures of this buck coming to the pond right before dark. I had a ground blind set up to ambush him but it never worked out. An old doe would sniff me out and blow my cover. I could hear him hold up in the woods until it was dark. I have a stand set up 50 yards below the pond dam. Yesterday I took a leaf blower and cleared the trail to it. I went to the stand a couple hours later and watched several deer work their way through. Right before dark this buck came down the hill and I took a 20 yard quartering away shot as it stood in a dry creek bed. I got a complete pass through. It ran about 30 yards after the shot and then stopped. It stood there for a minute and then started to go down. I was very excited and thankful to kill this buck and put a lot of meat in the freezer.

Deer.jpg
Deer.jpg (393.52 KiB) Viewed 2753 times
Osage Outlaw

Re: Longbow buck

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 10 15, 2019 •  [Post 2]

Excellent! Congrats on a great buck with traditional gear; nicely done. I assume that is one of your hand made bows?
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Swede » 10 15, 2019 •  [Post 3]

Congratulations on a fine buck. You certainly have a lot of good dinners ahead.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Osage Outlaw » 10 16, 2019 •  [Post 4]

WapitiTalk1 wrote:Excellent! Congrats on a great buck with traditional gear; nicely done. I assume that is one of your hand made bows?

No, this is a Yellowstone Custom Longbow made by Rich Wormington. I traded one of my hand made bows for it at an archery shoot this summer.
Osage Outlaw

Postby Lefty » 10 19, 2019 •  [Post 5]

Nice , nice nice

A well earned deer!
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Roosiebull » 10 20, 2019 •  [Post 6]

Beautiful!! That’s a great buck by any means of hunting, to kill it with a stickbow is pretty dang special... great job!
Roosiebull