Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

First Bear

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

First Bear

Postby 7mmfan » 09 23, 2019 •  [Post 1]

Had a great hunt this weekend with my good buddy and main hunting partner. We headed in Friday night to our camp for the last weekend of the Washington early high buck hunt. We ground out 7 miles, finishing in the dark. Got camp set up and hit the sack.

Up early we found ourselves socked in. We took our time and hiked over the ridge into the next basin where we intended to hunt. We sat in fog so dense we couldn't see 40-50 yards until about 9:30 or so. Finally it broke and we began slowly working along the ridge glassing down into the basin below. We'd only gone 100 yards and I looked back to slope below where we had sat most of the morning and there was a large black bear just munching away on berries. I decided to make a stalk and get close to ensure a clean shot than take what I had which was only 250. I got within 40 yards but the brush was just tall enough to screen the bear. She ended up winding one of us and lumbered off down the hill into the timber.

We moved along and 20 minutes later we crested a small rise and there was another bear, 150 yards out. I navigated to a rock ledge to set up for the shot.Despite being pretty dang quiet, the bear knew something was up and began moving out in a hurry. I lip squealed really loud and he stopped and looked back over his shoulder giving me his neck. The 7mm-08 barked and he was on his way down the hill, end over end for several hundred feet. He came to rest in a great spot to photo and process.

approach.jpg
approach.jpg (209.33 KiB) Viewed 5341 times

bear.jpg
bear.jpg (251.4 KiB) Viewed 5341 times

We processed him and got back to the ridge line. I spent the majority of the afternoon boning quarters and cleaning the hide up. My buddy worked a large area glassing timbered benches, open faces and rock slides, turning up nothing. We navigated back to camp and settled in for the evening.

IMG_0544.JPG
IMG_0544.JPG (200.95 KiB) Viewed 5341 times

The hike out was a long wet slog. My pack weighed in at 75# and that 7ish miles may have been one of the most physically demanding things I've done. Thank goodness for a good friend to split the load with.
I hunt therefore I am. I fish therefore I lie.
7mmfan

Re: First Bear

Postby 7mmfan » 09 23, 2019 •  [Post 2]

Couple more.
Attachments
fog.jpg
fog.jpg (103.95 KiB) Viewed 5340 times
IMG_0646.JPG
IMG_0646.JPG (384.76 KiB) Viewed 5340 times
IMG_0517.JPG
IMG_0517.JPG (82.42 KiB) Viewed 5340 times
7mmfan

Postby Swede » 09 23, 2019 •  [Post 3]

Nice pictures and congratulations on a nice bear. Carrying 75# for 7 miles tells me you are one tough critter. You did not need to shoot the bear. You could have run him down and clubbed him.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby wawhitey » 09 23, 2019 •  [Post 4]

Berry fed bears are fantastic eating. And plenty of cool taxidermy options with a nice bear. Combine that with the benefit of taking a fawn / calf killer out of the woods, and how can a guy not love bear hunting? Time to buy tag #2.
Real eyes realize real lies
wawhitey

Postby Deanmac » 09 23, 2019 •  [Post 5]

Great story, congrats
Deanmac

Postby 7mmfan » 09 23, 2019 •  [Post 6]

wawhitey wrote:Berry fed bears are fantastic eating. And plenty of cool taxidermy options with a nice bear. Combine that with the benefit of taking a fawn / calf killer out of the woods, and how can a guy not love bear hunting? Time to buy tag #2.

I am looking forward to those backstraps. Figure the rest will be sausage, and maybe do one of the sirloin roasts into pastrami. I've heard it's fantastic. If it looks like I'll get another couple days in the woods, I'll definitely be getting tag #2.
7mmfan

Postby wawhitey » 09 23, 2019 •  [Post 7]

7mmfan wrote:
wawhitey wrote:Berry fed bears are fantastic eating. And plenty of cool taxidermy options with a nice bear. Combine that with the benefit of taking a fawn / calf killer out of the woods, and how can a guy not love bear hunting? Time to buy tag #2.

I am looking forward to those backstraps. Figure the rest will be sausage, and maybe do one of the sirloin roasts into pastrami. I've heard it's fantastic. If it looks like I'll get another couple days in the woods, I'll definitely be getting tag #2.

I dont sausage any of my bear meat, but thats just me. Steaks, roasts and stew meat all the way. Ill be canning some after deer season too. Never canned bear, but i love canned deer and elk, so i figure the bear will be great that way too.
wawhitey

Postby 7mmfan » 09 23, 2019 •  [Post 8]

When I get to cutting it up in the next day or so, I'll probably be tempted to do similar. Whatever is done with it, I know it will be great eating.
7mmfan

Postby Indian Summer » 09 25, 2019 •  [Post 9]

Sounds like a fun day. Well.... until the end. I’ve never shot a bear. I’ve been on a few bear hunts. But I passed up everything I saw. I only really care to shoot one bear and I want it to be 300 pounds or better. I have a hunt booked way up in northern Saskatchewan in 2021. They have a reputation for monster bears and lots of them. I’m really looking forward to that hunt.

Congrats 7 nice bear.
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby 7mmfan » 09 25, 2019 •  [Post 10]

Indian Summer wrote:Sounds like a fun day. Well.... until the end. I’ve never shot a bear. I’ve been on a few bear hunts. But I passed up everything I saw. I only really care to shoot one bear and I want it to be 300 pounds or better. I have a hunt booked way up in northern Saskatchewan in 2021. They have a reputation for monster bears and lots of them. I’m really looking forward to that hunt.

Congrats 7 nice bear.

I used to feel that way as well. Even this bear I had some reservations. However, we are so overloaded with bears in WA that I feel if the opportunity is presented it should be taken. I ate some backstraps last night and they were amazing! I'll not pass on a berry fed anymore purely for the meat aspect.
7mmfan

Postby wawhitey » 09 25, 2019 •  [Post 11]

Spring bears are good eating too. At least the ones up here are.
wawhitey

Postby 7mmfan » 09 26, 2019 •  [Post 12]

wawhitey wrote:Spring bears are good eating too. At least the ones up here are.

I'm one of those west side guys that applies for your east side permits every year. :lol: Haven't been drawn yet. There's no permits close enough to me to allow for after work hunts so I'm going to have to travel anyway.' Might as well travel to the good units.
7mmfan

Postby wawhitey » 09 26, 2019 •  [Post 13]

Id suggest sherman or huckleberry. Holler at me when ya draw one up here.
Ill be in with 4 points next spring, so i have a pretty good chance to draw.
wawhitey

Postby 7mmfan » 09 26, 2019 •  [Post 14]

wawhitey wrote:Id suggest sherman or huckleberry. Holler at me when ya draw one up here.
Ill be in with 4 points next spring, so i have a pretty good chance to draw.

I believe that's what I'll have for points as well. I'll be in touch come March ;)
7mmfan

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 09 28, 2019 •  [Post 15]

Congrats!!
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ