Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Swing and a miss!

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Swing and a miss!

Postby wawhitey » 03 05, 2018 •  [Post 1]

Drove 75 miles to hunt an open cougar unit today. Fought scrotum deep snow uphill to get to a good calling location i marked on my gps. Called distress for an hour, waited 5 minutes or so, did a few cougar contact whistles, waited 10 minutes, then called it a fail. Got up and decided to circle the area and look for tracks. Found a smokin hot fresh set of bobcat tracks going right into the super thick mess of cover in front of me. Backtracked it about 500 yards. It was making a beeline to me. Went straight up the steepest mess in the area to head directly toward me. Never seen a set of bobcat tracks go in such a long straight purposeful line. No doubt in my mind that i called that sneaky sucker in, but he beat me at my own game! If ida had a hunting partner sitting 100 yards away, it wouldve been a slam dunk, but damn if everybody doesnt have an excuse to not go out predator hunting in the middle of winter.
Real eyes realize real lies
wawhitey

Re: Swing and a miss!

Postby Roosiebull » 03 07, 2018 •  [Post 2]

dang it!

people don't like predator hunting, you don't get instant results, and most times you get no results (lions) it is not an activity for the easily discouraged. I have a couple friends who used to bug me to take them lion hunting.... then they go, get bored, then like you said, have excuses after that.

in all honesty, it's fine with me. I like going solo, and that is just one more person to not hold still and get the setup busted. I think part of the fun is knowing so many things have to go right for it to work, it's a very big challenge.
Roosiebull

Postby Swede » 03 08, 2018 •  [Post 3]

This short thread and Roosie's new cat thread reminds how important patience and persistence is in much hunting success. I am no cat hunter, and don't know the game, but I am satisfied it is 90% patience and persistence and 10% skill. I do not in any want to take anything away from the knowledge and skill you two have. Thanks for the threads.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Lefty » 03 08, 2018 •  [Post 4]

Im headed out tomarrow for a ride looking fro ravens and tracks. Not ideal conditions 4 day old melting snow.
Most of Idaho is still open until the end of the month. Of course all the units around this are the quotas are filled
Cal, Oregon Washington and Colorado are crazey thick with cats because of the closed hound seasons
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H