Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

They're here!!!! still

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

They're here!!!! still

Postby Lefty » 03 14, 2023 •  [Post 1]

Being retired the local big cat unit tags were filled long ago I drive around and look at geese swans , elk, coyotes feral horses, and other wild critters

The elk still in the lowland wintering grounds ( I did see a bull this evening,,, he had shed

A most unusual year. Here we are halfway through March with the geese and swans in numbers I've never seen, The waterfowl have eaten the fields bare, The past two weeks swans and geese have been feeding in alfalfa fields road ditches ditch banks
Today within a mile of my place easily 2500 Yellowstone trumpeter swans. In the early 50's my Father in law was the kid who got to count all of them, all 29

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa20230301_145937[4417]bb.jpg
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa20230301_145937[4417]bb.jpg (53.37 KiB) Viewed 389 times
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Re: They're here!!!! still

Postby Tigger » 03 15, 2023 •  [Post 2]

Cool pic!

We drove around yesterday and our deer are starving. They are eating our cedar trees next to the road. Never had this happen before. They must really be in trouble. No tracks across the fields or other evidence of meovement (which is expected). I am sure they are in the willow swamps and not moving. Thank goodness we dont have wolves (barely) or every deer would be dead. Not good for wildlife this winter.
Tigger

Postby Lefty » 03 15, 2023 •  [Post 3]

There were 800-900 lined up along the road like in the picture

It appeared today the majority of the geese left.
The swans were on different fields. but still 3000 within 2 miles of my place.
Generally the geese and swans are noisy. But the fields were quiet,,, too busy eating .
Yeaterday our temps got u to 44 with 35 mph winds, then a bit of rain and today the winds were stronger.
Lots of sheet flooding
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby 7mmfan » 03 16, 2023 •  [Post 4]

Today in Western WA will be the first day in the upper 50's since October. Tomorrow and Saturday will be over 60! Down in Swede's neck of the woods, it might even get a little warmer. No pecking scraps out of the ditch for him.

Eastern WA was getting a fresh blanket of snow yesterday. Finally seeing extended forecasts from 40's-50's across Eastern WA. Many of the deer and elk wintering areas have had a foot or more of snow on them since early November. Started seeing open patches of ground yesterday on a couple of the webcams that I monitor. Animals have had a long hard winter, I hope they can hold on just a little longer for some green up.
I hunt therefore I am. I fish therefore I lie.
7mmfan