Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Coyote dissapointed

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Coyote dissapointed

Postby Lefty » 12 29, 2019 •  [Post 1]

We have had snow on the ground for two weeks and not a single single coyote track in the neighbors fields. SO maybe no coyotes to catch in our 2 acre pasture

And the evenings I havent heard the coyotes while out and about . While many hate coyotes I really do quite enjoy them. Here is my challenge to myself this year, Im going to catch a coyote near or at my goose pit

They say if you put a goal in writing there is a greater chance of completing the goal. So there it is
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Re: Coyote dissapointed

Postby wawhitey » 01 27, 2020 •  [Post 2]

Ive been on a major losing streak myself. Havent heard a yote howl in a month. Cant hardly even find a yote or bobcat track to save my life. Wolves and lions though, thats a different story. Every damn place i go, wolf and lion tracks. Hiked 6 hours today, found 2 sets of old crappy coyote tracks way back by the road where i parked. After that wolf snd lion tracks all over. Looked like a minimum of 4 wolves, but im pretty certain there were at least 5, and their tracks were all over the damn place. Not very fresh, but hard to say how old with the rain and melt. Found tracks from 3 different lions. One was a real big boy. Biggest set ive seen in quite some time. Pushing 5" pad spread (just added pic. Orange license wallet is 4" x 2.5". Tracks almost an inch wider.) . Found his tracks twice. One pretty fresh set, and maybe a mile and a half away a set several days old. Had to be the same cat though.

Miraculously i ran into a cow moose with a calf that was still alive. Bad neighborhood to be raising a kid in. I tried to discuss the matter with her, but she seemed disinclined to listen to me. Women can be stubborn.
Attachments
20200127_104446-800x450.jpg
20200127_104446-800x450.jpg (102.5 KiB) Viewed 2905 times
20200127_175226.jpg
20200127_175226.jpg (108.05 KiB) Viewed 2905 times
Real eyes realize real lies
wawhitey

Postby Lefty » 01 29, 2020 •  [Post 3]

Augh!! the coyotes did sorta show. but not killing many geese they had no reason to become consistent about checking the pit area out.. They ussually eat the blood in the snow and drag off feathers and eat goose crap.
I did get the eagles to show in the back pasture ,., but the goose carcass remains are gone I dont think I can get them to pose for the trail cam. I am taking the camera out now ,, lets see if I can get a trophy pic of an adult bald eagle . We have a steer that eats everything. ate some goose decoy bags,. electrical wiring on our RV, seat of my daughters boy friend truck and every piece of bailing twine on the corral panels ,so the cameras will not be in their best position :?

Last week I had a chorus reply to goose calls while sitting in the goose decoys,.. pulled out the squeaker , but was interrupted by geese

There are some ma ma moose that are really tough gals. I watched a ma moose chase off an adult male grizzle.

I also had a find where a big Tom spent much of the winter, killed a pair of moose calves then ma moose
Lefty

Postby wawhitey » 01 30, 2020 •  [Post 4]

Another frustrating day of coyote hunting. Im new to using coyote vocals, and apparently i dont say the right things. Got 3 different coyotes to howl back at me today but none would come in. 1 at one spot, 2 at another, but the two were in opposite directions not near eachother.
Finally started trying to do aggressive challenge howls, but that just ended the game. They wanted nothing to do with me after i did that. Maybe a bit too early still for that. i got a lot to learn. Went up to an area in the mountains up by the border that is LOADED with yotes. Found a million fresh coyote tracks, held conversations with a few dogs, but didnt see a single one.
wawhitey

Postby Lefty » 02 02, 2020 •  [Post 5]

I’m not any kind of expert on hunting coyotes but am friends with some who are

My experience howling responses is often just that a reply, a locate

Kind of funny well to us
Often when I camp I’ll let out a howl waiting on a response
Once in SD a family was camping below us and we didn’t know kind of embarrassing we were just making coyote pup yips
A couple years back I was messing with responding coyotes and a Wyoming cowboy came up the trail, gave me a thumbs up
Lefty

Postby wawhitey » 02 03, 2020 •  [Post 6]

Still not hearing squat for coyotes lately, but had a pack of wolves howling very near my house from 930 - 1030 last night. Maybe 300 yards off it sounded like, maybe closer.
wawhitey