Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

A limit of roosters

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

A limit of roosters

Postby Tigger » 12 27, 2019 •  [Post 1]

It has been a good end to the pheasant hunting season. Birds have been in the willows and cattails where I love to hunt them. The puppy has been way better than I could have every dreamt. Super happy with her. Here was a limit (3) I shot in about 30 minutes. I shot a double out of that bush. These are 100% wild birds.
Attachments
Rooster limit Stowes resized.jpg
Rooster limit Stowes resized.jpg (264.57 KiB) Viewed 3051 times
Tigger

Re: A limit of roosters

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 12 27, 2019 •  [Post 2]

Sweet! Is there a bird laying in front of the pup? She's got that "just let me grab it one more time" look on her face :D
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Tigger » 12 27, 2019 •  [Post 3]

Might have been. Two of my buddies also shot a bird out of that bush. There were about 15 in there; half roosters. We got 4 there and 9 for the day.
Tigger

Postby wawhitey » 12 27, 2019 •  [Post 4]

Man that looks like a blast. Havent hunted pheasant since i was a kid. Id love to go shoot a couple rooters. Theyre very scarce around here. Dont even know anybody with a bird dog.
Real eyes realize real lies
wawhitey

Postby Lefty » 12 29, 2019 •  [Post 5]

Somedays should be just like that Congratulations
Sweet
One thing about most dogs, give them the opportunity and they will do well. My little less than 10 lb rat dog was a real rooster hunter. While she and Sally,.. my buddies supposedly lab Britney cross ( after a confrontation and getting his money back she was a 22 lb poodle lab. Those two spent lots of time in the field together. While small , thy didn't have all day endurance and lacked some retriever abilities they were incredible hunters.

First that is not a bush,.. It is a Juniper tree 8-) likely Juniperus communis :lol: 8-)

I never shot a rooster this year. A neighbor kid hit the fence lines hard,.. killed em all ( great for him)

Many years back we hit Iowa hard after my trapping was over . We had a weird clump of cattails; maybe 8-10 feet in diameter that was good for birds every time were were there

Maybe a weird old side note. I loved the hike the dog work and the shooting, one year I killed so many with a .22 and basically ate Hungarian and roosters for 50-60- maybe more meal in October and November I got tired of them
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Tigger » 12 30, 2019 •  [Post 6]

If memory serves me right, I thought that was some type of cedar tree. But it was a long time ago we planted them.

Watching the dog is really fun. Watching her become a hunting dog is icing on the cake. her 1st birthday is tomorrow, so this was her zero year and she performed beyond my expectations. She had a lot of retrieves and she even pointed a bit. It is fun to watch a lab point!
Tigger

Postby Swede » 12 31, 2019 •  [Post 7]

The birds look great, but the dog is even more special. You should fry up one of the birds for her. She earned it. :D
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Tigger » 01 02, 2020 •  [Post 8]

And how about another? This was yesterday, the last day of the season. The snow was crusted and it was horrible walking. But I finished the season off well.

last rooster 2019.jpg
Tigger