Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Cow Calling Cougars!

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Cow Calling Cougars!

Postby rainshadow1 » 11 11, 2019 •  [Post 1]

Hey Guys,

I was invited over here to check you guys out, I thought it would be a good opportunity to put out a little feeler question.... before I get into knives and calls...

The cow call is probably the closest big game sound in the wild to the Cougar Whistle.

I want to hear stories about cow calling a Mt Lion in to your elk hunt! I'd like to post some of them on my Cougar Call-in Story page, under Accidental call-ins. I know there's a lot out there. I've heard many in passing. How many are represented here at WapitiTalk?
Predator Call Maker, Specializing in the Mountain Lion.
Custom Knife Maker
Cougar Calling Products, Stories, and Instruction
www.rain-shadow.com
rainshadow1

Re: Cow Calling Cougars!

Postby Swede » 11 11, 2019 •  [Post 2]

Welcome to the forum Rainshadow. I have seen cougars very close by, but have never cow called on in. As far as checking out the folks here, I can make it very simple for you. There are a lot of nuts and goofballs hanging out here. Check out Lefty's posts if you want a good example of both. If you pay attention you will find some great tips for hunting mixed in, but it may be a matter of sorting things out.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Lefty » 11 11, 2019 •  [Post 3]

Welcome welcome

Swedes just jealous I can have a good time doing about anything , other than sitting in a tree all day. I just have lots of experience doing stupid stuff and lived to tell about it

Swede wrote:There are a lot of nuts and goofballs hanging out here. Check out Lefty's posts if you want a good example oft.

I have dyslexia,.. a bit of attention deficit, and nerve conductivity problems,.. but more the anything I type way slower than I think ( and that could be slow too), and seldom proof read :lol:
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Indian Summer » 11 11, 2019 •  [Post 4]

I’ve cow called wolves in to under 10 yards. Always ran my lions up a tree!
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 11 11, 2019 •  [Post 5]

Indian Summer wrote:I’ve cow called wolves in to under 10 yards. Always ran my lions up a tree!

Ha, can't run dogs in many of the western states anymore. Ridiculous law and as a result, big cat populations have exploded. Time to learn a bit about the calling thing ;).
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Lefty » 11 11, 2019 •  [Post 6]

Checking out your web site
Dont know if this fits your genre.
I still regret not giving him a call and chasing around the desert and Mountains with him .

https://www.dusupply.com/history-of-ame ... nting.html
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby rainshadow1 » 11 11, 2019 •  [Post 7]

Lefty wrote:Checking out your web site
Dont know if this fits your genre.
I still regret not giving him a call and chasing around the desert and Mountains with him .

https://www.dusupply.com/history-of-ame ... nting.html

I haven’t read that one, although I believe I’ve heard of the author.
http://www.rain-shadow.com/book_reviews.htm
Sounds like a good read.

Just to clarify, I’m looking for YOUR calling stories, where a big cat showed up!
Custom Knife Maker
www.rain-shadow.com
rainshadow1

Postby rainshadow1 » 11 11, 2019 •  [Post 8]

Lefty wrote:Welcome welcome

Swedes just jealous I can have a good time doing about anything , other than sitting in a tree all day. I just have lots of experience doing stupid stuff and lived to tell about it

Swede wrote:There are a lot of nuts and goofballs hanging out here. Check out Lefty's posts if you want a good example oft.

I have dyslexia,.. a bit of attention deficit, and nerve conductivity problems,.. but more the anything I type way slower than I think ( and that could be slow too), and seldom proof read :lol:

I appreciate characters! I can throw down with the best of the nuts and goofballs!

Beautiful Yellow on your posts! Had one once. Back to blacks now but I love labs! Always have, always will.
Custom Knife Maker
www.rain-shadow.com
rainshadow1