Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips
 

Cow Calling Cougars!

Moderators: Lefty, Swede, Tigger, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Cow Calling Cougars!

Postby rainshadow1 » 11 11, 2019 •  [Post 1]

Hey Guys,

I was invited over here to check you guys out, I thought it would be a good opportunity to put out a little feeler question.... before I get into knives and calls...

The cow call is probably the closest big game sound in the wild to the Cougar Whistle.

I want to hear stories about cow calling a Mt Lion in to your elk hunt! I'd like to post some of them on my Cougar Call-in Story page, under Accidental call-ins. I know there's a lot out there. I've heard many in passing. How many are represented here at WapitiTalk?
Predator Call Maker, Specializing in the Mountain Lion.
Custom Knife Maker
Cougar Calling Products, Stories, and Instruction
www.rain-shadow.com
User avatar
rainshadow1
Rank: New User
 
Posts: 29
Joined: 11 10, 2019
Location: Selah, WA

Re: Cow Calling Cougars!

Postby Swede » 11 11, 2019 •  [Post 2]

Welcome to the forum Rainshadow. I have seen cougars very close by, but have never cow called on in. As far as checking out the folks here, I can make it very simple for you. There are a lot of nuts and goofballs hanging out here. Check out Lefty's posts if you want a good example of both. If you pay attention you will find some great tips for hunting mixed in, but it may be a matter of sorting things out.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics
 
Posts: 8770
Joined: 06 16, 2012

Re: Cow Calling Cougars!

Postby Lefty » 11 11, 2019 •  [Post 3]

Welcome welcome

Swedes just jealous I can have a good time doing about anything , other than sitting in a tree all day. I just have lots of experience doing stupid stuff and lived to tell about it

Swede wrote:There are a lot of nuts and goofballs hanging out here. Check out Lefty's posts if you want a good example oft.


I have dyslexia,.. a bit of attention deficit, and nerve conductivity problems,.. but more the anything I type way slower than I think ( and that could be slow too), and seldom proof read :lol:
User avatar
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics
 
Posts: 5502
Joined: 06 25, 2012
Location: Pocatello Idaho
First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Re: Cow Calling Cougars!

Postby Indian Summer » 11 11, 2019 •  [Post 4]

I’ve cow called wolves in to under 10 yards. Always ran my lions up a tree!
User avatar
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant
 
Posts: 4853
Joined: 06 14, 2012
Location: Pennsylvania
First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Re: Cow Calling Cougars!

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 11 11, 2019 •  [Post 5]

Indian Summer wrote:I’ve cow called wolves in to under 10 yards. Always ran my lions up a tree!


Ha, can't run dogs in many of the western states anymore. Ridiculous law and as a result, big cat populations have exploded. Time to learn a bit about the calling thing ;).
User avatar
WapitiTalk1
 
Posts: 7940
Joined: 06 10, 2012
Location: WA State
First Name: RJ

Re: Cow Calling Cougars!

Postby Lefty » 11 11, 2019 •  [Post 6]

Checking out your web site
Dont know if this fits your genre.
I still regret not giving him a call and chasing around the desert and Mountains with him .

https://www.dusupply.com/history-of-ame ... nting.html
User avatar
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics
 
Posts: 5502
Joined: 06 25, 2012
Location: Pocatello Idaho
First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Re: Cow Calling Cougars!

Postby rainshadow1 » 11 11, 2019 •  [Post 7]

Lefty wrote:Checking out your web site
Dont know if this fits your genre.
I still regret not giving him a call and chasing around the desert and Mountains with him .

https://www.dusupply.com/history-of-ame ... nting.html




I haven’t read that one, although I believe I’ve heard of the author.
http://www.rain-shadow.com/book_reviews.htm
Sounds like a good read.


Just to clarify, I’m looking for YOUR calling stories, where a big cat showed up!
Predator Call Maker, Specializing in the Mountain Lion.
Custom Knife Maker
Cougar Calling Products, Stories, and Instruction
www.rain-shadow.com
User avatar
rainshadow1
Rank: New User
 
Posts: 29
Joined: 11 10, 2019
Location: Selah, WA

Re: Cow Calling Cougars!

Postby rainshadow1 » 11 11, 2019 •  [Post 8]

Lefty wrote:Welcome welcome

Swedes just jealous I can have a good time doing about anything , other than sitting in a tree all day. I just have lots of experience doing stupid stuff and lived to tell about it

Swede wrote:There are a lot of nuts and goofballs hanging out here. Check out Lefty's posts if you want a good example oft.


I have dyslexia,.. a bit of attention deficit, and nerve conductivity problems,.. but more the anything I type way slower than I think ( and that could be slow too), and seldom proof read :lol:



I appreciate characters! I can throw down with the best of the nuts and goofballs!

Beautiful Yellow on your posts! Had one once. Back to blacks now but I love labs! Always have, always will.
Predator Call Maker, Specializing in the Mountain Lion.
Custom Knife Maker
Cougar Calling Products, Stories, and Instruction
www.rain-shadow.com
User avatar
rainshadow1
Rank: New User
 
Posts: 29
Joined: 11 10, 2019
Location: Selah, WA


cron