Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Another once in a life time hunt

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Another once in a life time hunt

Postby Lefty » 12 23, 2021 •  [Post 1]

Way too many details for the full story, but eagles jumped geese and chased some of them for miles. The eagle backed off, flew and jumped another group of geese. Then a third flight showed up from the west, The geese getting closer, ssome from the third flight became apparent they were interested in my part of the field I was able to convince the geese to come my direction by flagging and calling.

Geese started landing, the commotion was incredible
Well over a 1,000 geese landing all around and most under 35 yards Quite incredible with a couple thousand more in the air around me. At times geese at arms reach up and over in every direction.
So many geese my dog turned chicken

Im not sure what was neater, having 20 -30 elk staring at me at 40 yards, or over 1000 geese hanging around real close. :D Well the geese won out on this experience

00000000000000000000000000000000000000hristmas goose hunt.jpg
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Re: Another once in a life time hunt

Postby 7mmfan » 12 23, 2021 •  [Post 2]

Sounds amazing. I've had some incredible sidewater decoy action with mallards, but have never decoyed birds jn a field. Have never hunted geese period. Would sure love to do that sometime.

There is something about being close to game that is supremely exciting. Some of my most memorable hunting experiences were having animals I was not hunting come very close. I'll just say that I know what the chin hairs of a big bull elk look like when your looking up at them. Quite the experience.
I hunt therefore I am. I fish therefore I lie.
7mmfan

Postby Lefty » 12 23, 2021 •  [Post 3]

7mmfan wrote:Sounds amazing. I've had some incredible sidewater decoy action with mallards, but have never decoyed birds jn a field. Have never hunted geese period. Would sure love to do that sometime.

There is something about being close to game that is supremely exciting. Some of my most memorable hunting experiences were having animals I was not hunting come very close. I'll just say that I know what the chin hairs of a big bull elk look like when your looking up at them. Quite the experience.

Moose really grow when they are looking at you looking for them.
Andrew wont admit to all of it but he jumped more than the elk did when the elk charged in close this year.
Once down on Vancouver WA lake lowlands a buddy and I , still dont know how we did it, got right up on 300 swans 5000 ducks and lots of geese. We could have poked-em with the gun barrel

We use to hunt the Yakima reservation had great upland and waterfoaling one ranch we had ducks walking over our gun barrels
Lefty

Postby Lefty » 01 04, 2022 •  [Post 4]

Yesterdays hunt!
Sub zero (barely) I opened up the pit lid, the dog jumped in without an invitation. I peeled off my jacket and tossed my jacket in the corner for my pup. Then I crawled in the pit. At that moment a goose just three feet overhead was landing with his buddies . I never saw them coming. I grabbed some shells . Poked my head out, some geese already on the ground. I killed a goose that was back peddling above the decoys. A closer bird jumped and cleared the decoys, and dropped dead to the ground. , then I shot number three at 19 yards. A slick triple.

Then the proud moment: My pup cleared the pit and ran to the furthest goose.
The flock I had just shot into, 4 were coming back!
Told Daisy to sit, She sat. Told her to lay down. down she went.

I loaded up two more shells and dropped goose number 4 overhead.

In and out of the pit with a limit of geese in less than 3 minutes.

20220103_093512[1786].jpg
Lefty