Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Dog treats

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Dog treats

Postby Lefty » 12 10, 2021 •  [Post 1]

Just wondering who is making dog treats with their game "trim". My parents use to make sure and get anything that could be considered red meat off of game. My dad would take other peoples ducks when we were of "plucking age,
I guess we complained enough that eventfully we got that assignment to end
We have a lab and a rat dog in our home. Our daughters each have dogs, Oldest has a lab, middle daughter has some funky big terrier/pit/bird dog/cow dog mix. and our youngest has a bearded collie ( crazy dog). They all benefit from wild game meat bones and treats.

Our dogs enjoy cleaning up front shoulder bones from deer and elk . While trimming and packaging for the our freezer I have gotten much more liberal on what no longer goes as grind.
We also remove as much silver skin as possible from grind and all other large meat cuts , and sometimes to make a steak look "pretty"

What may not make it to grind goes to the dogs.

And often while cooking I dont use salts for seasoning because of my blood pressure, dogs get to clean the pan, or plate scrap
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Re: Dog treats

Postby 7mmfan » 12 10, 2021 •  [Post 2]

When I butcher my animals, I do not do a ton of trimming. I cut all the fat off and big chunks of gristle, but I leave most silver skin on. When I pull that piece of meat out for a meal is when I trim it up. I've found the meat lasts better in the freezer this way. Back on topic though, what it also does allow me to give a steady supply of raw meat scraps to the dog without having to specifically store them. I used to save the bones, but she is so old and teeth worn down now that we don't do that anymore. The last time I tried to give her a shoulder blade, she licked it for a while but lost interest. I think the work is just a little too much for her now. She sure loves that silver skin though!
I hunt therefore I am. I fish therefore I lie.
7mmfan

Re: Dog treats

Postby Lefty » 12 10, 2021 •  [Post 3]

7mmfan wrote:When I butcher my animals, I do not do a ton of trimming.

She sure loves that silver skin though!

I use to just cut and wrap,, Andrew use to
butcher at the ranch he worked at, and developed some skill. When he cuts meat it looks "Pretty"

I think the dogs may get some meat when I cook too!! :oops: :lol:
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H