Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Summer sausage

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Summer sausage

Postby Lefty » 12 09, 2021 •  [Post 1]

20211209_192435.jpg
Andrew took 35 lbs of summer sausage to be smoked at his place, I'm was sure I sent 10 sticks 8-)
20211209_192552.jpg
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Re: Summer sausage

Postby Lefty » 12 09, 2021 •  [Post 2]

We had 4 Sausage kits.
We'll probably make our own blends , Just too much "cure" in the kits we don't need the long term storage. I prefer the course ground, Andrew likes the fine ground
Next batch will get 1/2 lb of mustard seed ( I like it.) and dried onion , and powdered milk. The kits is made for 30 lbs. We'll extend it to 40
We will also extend the time for curing.

Bear , deer and geese will be headed to sausage
Lefty

Postby 7mmfan » 12 09, 2021 •  [Post 3]

I've never made my own. I have a good processor that does my summer sausage and pepperoni or landjager. It's more fuss than I want to deal with.
I hunt therefore I am. I fish therefore I lie.
7mmfan

Postby Lefty » 12 09, 2021 •  [Post 4]

7mmfan wrote:I've never made my own. I have a good processor that does my summer sausage and pepperoni or landjager. It's more fuss than I want to deal with.

Well I was making sausage instead of looking for geese. We went from cutting and wrapping to grinding and mixing.

We cant get all the game eaten . So summer sausage and Jerky goes to work with my daughter ,,, Poof! gone!
Lefty

Postby 7mmfan » 12 09, 2021 •  [Post 5]

We get about 50# of summer sausage and snack sticks done every year, and I make lots of jerky. It reallybis a great use of the meat.

Good tasting meat is easier to give away . I was smart enough early on the years we had moose and deer and geese and antelope and elk ,,, To give away early . Sometimes to those that appreciate it, a few times to those that need it

Most of my life non game meat was a burger at McDonalds or a gas station hot dog. Im not always good at the amount needed for the year.

Im just try to limit Salt, nitrates, chlorides , MSG .
I hunt therefore I am. I fish therefore I lie.
7mmfan