Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Biscuits and Gravy? I’m your huckleberry….

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Biscuits and Gravy? I’m your huckleberry….

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 06 04, 2024 •  [Post 1]

Epic biscuits and gravy, I think you’ll like this. Track down some Pioneer Country Sausage Flavored Gravy Mix (Amazon, Walmart carries this) – makes 2 cups per packet. Fry up a full container of James Dean regular snausage in a skillet, drain the grease… put the chopped-up bits (chop em up as you fry it) in the Pioneer Gravy once you’ve prepared that. Now for the biscuits, do not use store bought biscuits in a can you wild bohemians…. Do em up like this. Stage a 10” cast iron skillet in your cooking area, I know you have one of those. Put ½ stick of butter in the freezer for at least 15 minutes. Put 2 cups of self-rising flour in a medium mixing bowl. Put ½ stick of butter on the stove in a small pan to melt on low heat. Grate the previously frozen, grated butter into the flour… mix with a big old fork until blended. You should have your oven preheated to 425 at this time. Mix one cup of buttermilk into your flour/butter batter… use your hands inside of food quality gloves of course, to mix, roll, fold all the ingredients together. Form/put around 8 2+” drops of dough into the greased skillet (I use olive oil), drizzle that melted butter on the biscuit blobs and throw em in the oven for 17 minutes. Please try this and let me know what you think (grin). A suitable side for this is a well-executed shroom, cheese, diced red onion, mixed peppers, and tomato omelet but that’s for another story. I hope you enjoy
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Re: Biscuits and Gravy? I’m your huckleberry….

Postby Lefty » 06 06, 2024 •  [Post 2]

Hmm
My grand daughter loves biscuits and gravy.
We' live it a go
!
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby wawhitey » 06 06, 2024 •  [Post 3]

The best biscuits are made with bear lard. Dont know how to do it myself, i just know how to give my mom bear fat. She renders it down. Makes bear lard biscuits with elk sausage gravy... its unreal.

Also makes pot pie crusts with bear lard. Chunks of bear, deer, elk meat in the pie, veggies from the parents garden.. cant be beat.

Bear fat makes excellent soap too.

When its too hot and im far from my rig, im not packing fat out. Meat is most important. But i hear about it...
Real eyes realize real lies
wawhitey

Postby Lefty » 06 10, 2024 •  [Post 4]

wawhitey wrote:The best biscuits are made with bear lard. Dont know how to do it myself, i just know how to give my mom bear fat. She renders it down. Makes bear lard biscuits with elk sausage gravy... its unreal.

Also makes pot pie crusts with bear lard. Chunks of bear, deer, elk meat in the pie, veggies from the parents garden.. cant be beat.

Bear fat makes excellent soap too.

When its too hot and im far from my rig, im not packing fat out. Meat is most important. But i hear about it...

I, almost out of bear fat,

i use it in lots of pastries/ crusts and refried-type beans
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H