Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips
 

Valentines Elk Backstrap

Moderators: Lefty, Swede, Tigger, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Valentines Elk Backstrap

Postby GoGriz1234 » 02 17, 2021 •  [Post 1]

My Parents neighbor gave me a nice chunk of elk backstrap from a cow he shot this year. I was saving it for a special occasion and I figured making a nice dinner for the Wife on Valentine’s Day was as good a reason as any. I put the frozen meat in a sousvide bag with rosemary, garlic, some chipotle powder, salt, pepper and oil. Into the waterbath at 132 degrees three hours, then removed, patted dry and seared on a smoking hot cast iron pan. Let it rest and then sliced it up. Served it with some roasted purple potatoes and brussel sprouts. It was one heck of a tasty meal - two thumbs up from the Wife! I can’t wait to go chase elk again this year!
Attachments
F1386952-6E3C-40EF-8A43-ADB0247B024E.jpeg
In the waterbath
F1386952-6E3C-40EF-8A43-ADB0247B024E.jpeg (79.29 KiB) Viewed 54 times
215802F3-8C89-4CE4-A46E-4FF09EDAB0FB.jpeg
Out of the bag and patted dry
215802F3-8C89-4CE4-A46E-4FF09EDAB0FB.jpeg (67.85 KiB) Viewed 54 times
3BD74AF6-446D-4EBC-90F5-3AE964B3C11E.jpeg
Hard sear
3BD74AF6-446D-4EBC-90F5-3AE964B3C11E.jpeg (91 KiB) Viewed 54 times
GoGriz1234
Rank: Spike
 
Posts: 100
Joined: 09 29, 2014
First Name: Jeff
Last Name: Marshall

Re: Valentines Elk Backstrap

Postby GoGriz1234 » 02 17, 2021 •  [Post 2]

Two more
Attachments
0B6A07DF-9A22-4D59-AF93-1AF0D42D91D4.jpeg
0B6A07DF-9A22-4D59-AF93-1AF0D42D91D4.jpeg (94.1 KiB) Viewed 53 times
F3D3BB79-49C6-47C7-B25B-5A84D4D45A18.jpeg
F3D3BB79-49C6-47C7-B25B-5A84D4D45A18.jpeg (66.28 KiB) Viewed 53 times
GoGriz1234
Rank: Spike
 
Posts: 100
Joined: 09 29, 2014
First Name: Jeff
Last Name: Marshall

Re: Valentines Elk Backstrap

Postby Tigger » 02 18, 2021 •  [Post 3]

If you didn't bring enough to share with all of us, that is a low blow to tease us like that! Looks amazing!

I officially give GoGriz one (1) WapitiTalk Party Foul Demerit Point for not sharing! :D
User avatar
Tigger
Rank: An Elk Nut
 
Posts: 1800
Joined: 01 12, 2015
Location: Minnesota

Re: Valentines Elk Backstrap

Postby GoGriz1234 » 02 18, 2021 •  [Post 4]

Tigger - I accept your demerit, but with only one elk to show for the last few years of effort, I need to hoard every scrap thrown my way. If I am lucky enough to get my own this year, I will have some seared Backstrap headed your way!
GoGriz1234
Rank: Spike
 
Posts: 100
Joined: 09 29, 2014
First Name: Jeff
Last Name: Marshall

Re: Valentines Elk Backstrap

Postby 7mmfan » 02 19, 2021 •  [Post 5]

We also had backstrap, for the last 4 nights in a row! I did a side by side by side comparison of spike elk, mule deer, and blacktail deer backstraps. All seasoned with Johnnies, vac sealed, and left to rest in the fridge for 4 days. Cooked at 400 in convection oven to 115 IT, pulled out to rest, rubbed with olive oil and some fancy buttery steak seasoning my wife got me, and put back in the oven on 550 convection to sear. Pulled again and let rest to 130 IT. The blacktail won the contest, but the elk was a close second. Who am I kidding, they were all delicious!

And no you can't have any.
I hunt therefore I am. I fish therefore I lie.
User avatar
7mmfan
Rank: An Elk Nut
 
Posts: 745
Joined: 09 07, 2017
Location: Washington State

Re: Valentines Elk Backstrap

Postby GoGriz1234 » 02 21, 2021 •  [Post 6]

7mmfan wrote: I did a side by side by side comparison of spike elk, mule deer, and blacktail deer backstraps.


Love the side by side! You are a lucky man. This next year I am going to try to channel my inner 7mmfan and end up with lots of options in the freezer!
GoGriz1234
Rank: Spike
 
Posts: 100
Joined: 09 29, 2014
First Name: Jeff
Last Name: Marshall

Re: Valentines Elk Backstrap

Postby Lefty » 02 21, 2021 •  [Post 7]

That looks so good.

Now Im drooling on the keyboard 8-)
User avatar
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics
 
Posts: 5411
Joined: 06 25, 2012
Location: Pocatello Idaho
First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Re: Valentines Elk Backstrap

Postby Lefty » 02 21, 2021 •  [Post 8]

You are beyond my knowledge in what ever style cooking immersion cooking. Tell us more

Ive done salmon my way: :oops: no fancy smanchy circulators, but willing to learn Again tell us more
User avatar
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics
 
Posts: 5411
Joined: 06 25, 2012
Location: Pocatello Idaho
First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Re: Valentines Elk Backstrap

Postby Tigger » 02 22, 2021 •  [Post 9]

I officially give 7mmFan one (1) WapitiTalk Party Foul Demerit Point for not sharing and another one for taunting!
User avatar
Tigger
Rank: An Elk Nut
 
Posts: 1800
Joined: 01 12, 2015
Location: Minnesota

Re: Valentines Elk Backstrap

Postby 7mmfan » 02 22, 2021 •  [Post 10]

Tigger wrote:I officially give 7mmFan one (1) WapitiTalk Party Foul Demerit Point for not sharing and another one for taunting!


Give me another one! I dare ya!

I've been considering the sous vide route for a while as well, it does seem to produce amazing results. You really owe it to yourself to try it out on A LOT more backstrap, maybe even some good round or sirloin steaks GoGriz, and then report back to us. Don't pay any attention to Tigger's demerits, they carry a cash value similar to Monopoly money.
I hunt therefore I am. I fish therefore I lie.
User avatar
7mmfan
Rank: An Elk Nut
 
Posts: 745
Joined: 09 07, 2017
Location: Washington State

Re: Valentines Elk Backstrap

Postby Tigger » 02 22, 2021 •  [Post 11]

Okay Bender, you just got another one! Want more?



Can you give me the movie?
User avatar
Tigger
Rank: An Elk Nut
 
Posts: 1800
Joined: 01 12, 2015
Location: Minnesota

Re: Valentines Elk Backstrap

Postby 7mmfan » 02 22, 2021 •  [Post 12]

The Breakfast Club. I knew it, but forgot from where I knew it so I had to use the Googler to remind myself. Not sure if that counts.
I hunt therefore I am. I fish therefore I lie.
User avatar
7mmfan
Rank: An Elk Nut
 
Posts: 745
Joined: 09 07, 2017
Location: Washington State

Re: Valentines Elk Backstrap

Postby Tigger » 02 22, 2021 •  [Post 13]

Yep, just rewatched it last week with my kids. My boys are 12.

The detention supervisor (thinking this will impress the kids): I am 48 years old and make $31,000 a year!

Kinda dates that movie.
User avatar
Tigger
Rank: An Elk Nut
 
Posts: 1800
Joined: 01 12, 2015
Location: Minnesota

Re: Valentines Elk Backstrap

Postby GoGriz1234 » 02 22, 2021 •  [Post 14]

Lefty wrote:You are beyond my knowledge in what ever style cooking immersion cooking. Tell us more

Ive done salmon my way: :oops: no fancy smanchy circulators, but willing to learn Again tell us more


Lefty - the beauty of the sous vide cooker is that you bring your meat to whatever temp you want, and then you can hold it there for a good while and it will never over cook. Over many many hours the texture of the meat will change (could be for better or for worse), but you can’t over cook the meat. I have also found that frozen meat only takes maybe 20 extra minutes to cook this method vs. refrigerated. You set the unit to say 132 degrees, throw the meat into the water bath and then remove anywhere in the next two to six hours and sear it in a red hot pan. Comes out perfect every time. If you get really fancy, you can seal up individual roasts and steaks with seasoning and oil, freeze them, then just pop them into the water bath on a week night for an awesome meal, ready in say 2.5 hours after going into the water, with no other fuss. I don’t always sous vide, but it is a handy tool to have in the cooking quiver.

I just looked and you can pickup an Anova unit from Amazon for around $80s.
GoGriz1234
Rank: Spike
 
Posts: 100
Joined: 09 29, 2014
First Name: Jeff
Last Name: Marshall

Re: Valentines Elk Backstrap

Postby Lefty » 02 23, 2021 •  [Post 15]

GoGriz1234 wrote:
Lefty wrote:You are beyond my knowledge in what ever style cooking immersion cooking. Tell us more

Ive done salmon my way: :oops: no fancy smanchy circulators, but willing to learn Again tell us more


Lefty - the beauty of the sous vide cooker is that you bring your meat to whatever temp you want, and then you can hold it there for a good while and it will never over cook. Over many many hours the texture of the meat will change (could be for better or for worse), but you can’t over cook the meat. I have also found that frozen meat only takes maybe 20 extra minutes to cook this method vs. refrigerated. You set the unit to say 132 degrees, throw the meat into the water bath and then remove anywhere in the next two to six hours and sear it in a red hot pan. Comes out perfect every time. If you get really fancy, you can seal up individual roasts and steaks with seasoning and oil, freeze them, then just pop them into the water bath on a week night for an awesome meal, ready in say 2.5 hours after going into the water, with no other fuss. I don’t always sous vide, but it is a handy tool to have in the cooking quiver.

I just looked and you can pickup an Anova unit from Amazon for around $80s.


I had no idea it was a real method. It had always been my method of speed thawing :oops: forozen salmon and red meat
Ill put mostly salmon in hot tap water , turn the oven on and let it sit10-20 minutes,.. then sear in a pan.
My major leaps in cooking happened when I moved out of my parents house,.. ( started adding spices and butter )
Living in Washington state and seafoods
A student who was a cook at Matdox ( Perry Utah)
A handfull of cookbooks and this thread
Thanks
User avatar
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics
 
Posts: 5411
Joined: 06 25, 2012
Location: Pocatello Idaho
First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Re: Valentines Elk Backstrap

Postby Tigger » 02 24, 2021 •  [Post 16]

I always get confused, do you put the cereal or the milk in the bowl first? :?:
User avatar
Tigger
Rank: An Elk Nut
 
Posts: 1800
Joined: 01 12, 2015
Location: Minnesota

Re: Valentines Elk Backstrap

Postby 7mmfan » 02 24, 2021 •  [Post 17]

Tigger wrote:I always get confused, do you put the cereal or the milk in the bowl first? :?:


You put it in a bowl?
I hunt therefore I am. I fish therefore I lie.
User avatar
7mmfan
Rank: An Elk Nut
 
Posts: 745
Joined: 09 07, 2017
Location: Washington State

Re: Valentines Elk Backstrap

Postby Tigger » 02 24, 2021 •  [Post 18]

Sometimes when I am feeling civilized I actually do use a bowl. Once in a while I even use a spoon too.
User avatar
Tigger
Rank: An Elk Nut
 
Posts: 1800
Joined: 01 12, 2015
Location: Minnesota