Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Jerky.... YUM!

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Jerky.... YUM!

Postby foxvalley » 11 14, 2012 •  [Post 1]

Since Paul made my mouth water looking at all that elk being ground up in the berger thread, I thought I would share my jerky recipe, and how I make it.

Instead of bringing sandwiches for lunch during our elk hunt,we bring jerky.

All my jerky is made with ground meat,deer elk etc.and the best unit I have found for laying out the strips is the "jerkey shooter".I bought mine from cabelas,and this well made unit will shoot out 2 strips of meat for jerky,and has other attachments for hot sticks etc.This is a must have for anybody considering making jerky,and it will last a lifetime. The key to great jerky is consistancy of the thickness so it all gets done at the same time,and the shooter does this. I use a dehydrator set at about 140 degrees for about 6 or so hours or untill the center of the jerky is no longer pink. You can also use an oven with the door ajar slightly to let out moisture.
I get the jerkey variety pack of seasoning (from LEM) open all the packs, along with the cure,and dump it all into a mason jar and shake. I add 2 heaping tablespoons per lb.of meat along with liquid smoke,mix well, then refrigerate for 12 hours before I shoot it into jerky. This is a great way to use up old berger, or if you have too much. I make 12 lb. batches at a time,and freeze what I don't use right away so it doesn't dry out.
foxvalley

First Name: doug
Last Name: houghton

Re: Jerky.... YUM!

Postby >>>---WW----> » 11 15, 2012 •  [Post 2]

Hmmmmmmmmm! May have to give that a try. How much liquid smoke do you use?
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby foxvalley » 11 15, 2012 •  [Post 3]

Hey WW
I add about 1 teaspoon per lb.,give r take. If using the oven,the jerky needs to be shot on some sort of screen or grate as so the air gets all around it.I've tried just about every way to make jerky,and this is by far my favorite. Here is a pic of some leftover jerky from my elk hunt that I just pulled out of the freezer. I like to roll up the still hot jerky in craft paper so that any oils get absorbed in the paper as seen here. I just checked cabelas,and the jerkey gun that they have now is not the same as the one I have,there seems to be issues with this one.Just checked out "jerkygun.com" and they have a whole bunch of different guns,including the cabelas gun that I do have.
compressed.jpg
compressed.jpg (34.6 KiB) Viewed 3765 times
foxvalley

Postby foxvalley » 11 16, 2012 •  [Post 4]

Theelkhunter wrote:Would the strips be tough enough to put in a smoker? I don't care much for dehydrators.

You mean hang them on a rack? I think so,the curing agent binds the meat together pretty well. Or could a guy put them on a screen in the smoker? I think smoking the jerky would be the ultimate!
foxvalley

Postby BowElkDwn » 11 16, 2012 •  [Post 5]

Do you use the Variety pack from lem that has cajun, jalapeno, black pepper and teriyaki. I have tried the jerky shooter and it works great but I have not found the right seasoning yet. I will have to geve this a try.
BowElkDwn
ElkNut Pro Staff

Postby Vanish » 11 16, 2012 •  [Post 6]

Several recipes here: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=970
Vanish

First Name: Ryan
Last Name: Driskel

Postby foxvalley » 11 16, 2012 •  [Post 7]

BowElkDwn wrote:Do you use the Variety pack from lem that has cajun, jalapeno, black pepper and teriyaki. I have tried the jerky shooter and it works great but I have not found the right seasoning yet. I will have to geve this a try.

No, never tried that one, I use the original,mesquete,and hot variety pack all mixed together.
foxvalley

Postby Buckeye » 11 23, 2012 •  [Post 8]

Hi everyone, I've been reading threads on this site for a while now and thought I would share a jerky recipe I use. So far I haven't been lucky enough to try it on elk yet, but I've used it quite a bit on whitetail. To keep slices uniform I use a meat slicer, this recipe can be spicy so beware. Hope everyone enjoys.

Recipe is for 5 pound porportions

Teriyaki sauce 1 cup
Water 1cup
Habnero sauce 1/2 tsp
Hickory salt 1/4 tsp
Lemon pepper 8tbsp
Cayenne pepper 3tsp
Crushed red pepper 1tbsp
Garlic powder1/2 tsp
Coarse black pepper 1 1/2 tbsp
Brown sugar 1 cup
Buckeye

First Name: Adam
Last Name: Bucher

Postby BowElkDwn » 12 10, 2012 •  [Post 9]

Foxvalley,
I just made a batch of that jerky you mentioned at the beginning of this thread. By far the best jerky that I have made yet. Thanks for putting that recipe up here. Next I might add some habenero sauce to really make the eye's water..
BowElkDwn
ElkNut Pro Staff

Postby foxvalley » 12 10, 2012 •  [Post 10]

BowElkDwn wrote:Foxvalley,
I just made a batch of that jerky you mentioned at the beginning of this thread. By far the best jerky that I have made yet. Thanks for putting that recipe up here. Next I might add some habenero sauce to really make the eye's water..

Glad you like it,habenero sauce sounds delish!
foxvalley