Now -
Which technique requires more skill?

Which technique requires more luck?
cnelk

First Name: Brad
Last Name: K

Re: Archery Elk vs. Rifle Elk

Postby ElkNut1 » 11 14, 2012 •  [Post 2]

Ha Ha, what a trick question!!! (grin) I too will hunt elk with either, I'm not partial at all, however it's been too many years to count to think back the last year I elk hunted with a rifle! I enjoy both but love hunting elk in the rut, for us this falls into the bow hunting category! At this time I am after a nice Muley with a tag & a rifle! All weapons have their challenges for me!!

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby Swede » 11 14, 2012 •  [Post 3]

The people I know who get otc, public land elk on a regular basis are all good hunters. Personally I would not say one is better than the other, but my observation is that archery hunters are planning preparing, and talking elk more on a regular basis. I think they are more the fanatics, but not always.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby buglmin » 11 14, 2012 •  [Post 4]

There is a huge difference in hunting elk with archery equipment and rifle hunting elk...especially in states like Colorado and New Mexico were elk numbers are down compared to 5 or 6 years ago.
Without the elk bugling, the big bulls not being with the cows, and with hot, dry weather, rifle hunting during November is tough...you have to cover lots of ground, hope hunting pressure helps to move bull, and hunt the thick, nasty stuff hoping to catch a bug bull in his "nest". I just finished hunting elk for 8 days straight, seeing little elk, small bulls...horses were worn out, I was worn out. But I had to use a snow mobile to get my bull out after two days of snow...
To me, you cant compare hunting elk that are bugling and moving to elk that are held up tight. Chasing bulls is a lot easier with archery equipment then chasing bulls during November that have been hunted for three months...
buglmin

Postby one_elk » 11 14, 2012 •  [Post 5]

I have had great elk hunts and success with both bows and rifles, hunting with a bow is definitely my preference but I have shot more elk with my rifle than I have my bow. So which one requires more luck not sure but I will take all the luck I can get. As for skill, they both take skill, some skills are similar to both techniques and some skills are unique to the technique of choice. So if I hike 3 miles into a drainage five different times with no luck and on the sixth trip, with no significant difference in weather etc., and I shoot a bull on my 6th trip is luck or skill? For me persistence is as big a factor as luck or skill but then again maybe persistence is a skill. Who knows but interesting question.
one_elk

Postby CrazyElkHunter » 11 14, 2012 •  [Post 6]

I have been hunting elk for over 30 years. Filled the freezer 26 times on public land unguided. On the years I did not fill the freezer, it was because I got too picky, passing on rag horns. Every single elk I took was with a bow. I have never hunted them with any thing else. I love hunting the rut and never had the desire to hunt elk with a rifle or muzzleloader. Nothing against them except for the long range 700+ yard shots I have watched on TV. To me that's not hunting, and border line not fair chase. All my elk were shot between 2 and 59 yards. Elk hunting on public land with any weapon, is a lot tougher than it was 20+ years ago and a lot more expensive. Only regret I have is that getting older sucks,61, and after 5 knee and shoulder surgeries and another one scheduled, it is getting really hard to go into steep country after elk and then packing them out on our backs. I've seen the pictures Paul (elknut) hunts, and no way could I hunt that stuff. :shock: Hats off to you guys! So Brad, I am unable to answer which one is more luck or skill since I only bow hunt. ;) but I will add that It took a little both to take all my elk.
CrazyElkHunter

First Name: Bill
Last Name: Custer

Postby elkoholic » 11 14, 2012 •  [Post 7]

I believe any type of hunting, rather it be archery or rifle requires both skill and alil bit of luck. I hunt with both, but I love hunting with my bow. I like the challenging the archery has. You have to be up close and personal with the animal your pursuing. I also like all the game you encounter while bow hunting, it just seems like the game isn't as on the edge during the archery hunt. I just love hunting, no matter what I'm hunting with
elkoholic

First Name: Chewy
Last Name: Swatzell

Postby mongopino915 » 11 14, 2012 •  [Post 8]

Rifle hunted for 20 plus years with 20 plus elk down. Tried archery 4 years ago to pick up a new flavor for killing elk. (JMHO) - found out quickly that elk archery is probably five times harder and rewarding than rifle.

Bought a bunch of bows and sold a couple of the rifles, including a beautiful Browning White Gold Medallion 7mm Mag for dirt cheap.

Went to hang out with some old rifle hunter friends at camp during rifle season and did not miss rifle hunting a bit. Was actually a little discussed by the volume of orange vests in the woods.
mongopino915

Postby T/H » 11 15, 2012 •  [Post 9]

question 1 i give the nod to archery. question 2 i believe we create our own luck for the most part.
T/H

Postby pointysticks » 11 15, 2012 •  [Post 10]

great question..

i've taken a great bull with a rifle. was it fun? yes! was it challenging? hell yes!!

i remember the adrenalin surge like it was yesterday. my heartbeat was stratospheric..when it challenged our bugle and stepped over the ridge to kick my butt..i could hear the blood whooshing in my ears. then when i squeezed the trigger and heard the "whump!" of the bullet, i almost cried.

i hope to relive that rush..but amplified. my next bull HAS to be with a bow. it just does.

with couse deer, i would be 100% with a rifle. bow? 0%. it is a different game.
pointysticks

First Name: cliff
Last Name: l

Postby easeup » 11 15, 2012 •  [Post 11]

first of all you are very lucky to be able to do both.

I too have done it both ways over the years. But switching over to archery was one of the best things I ever did
easeup

Postby critterstalker » 11 18, 2012 •  [Post 12]

How about archery hunting elk in November out in the sagebrush with the antelope? Some year I'll try the September rut thing,but right now it kinda of seems like cheating compared to hunting November :)
critterstalker

Postby buglmin » 11 18, 2012 •  [Post 13]

THose that think its too easy to kill a bull with a rifle needs to come down here to sw colorado and chase elk in November. Then you'll think how easy and nice it is to hunt elk in September. You'll cover lots of country, pray every day for snow, and talk in the evening of the bulls you heard bugling in September and October. When you put a good bull on the ground in November, after they have been hunted for 3 months, you know youve accomplished something. Right now, I can honestly say that I've never hunted soo hard for the little elk we've seen. And if you think its easy to catch up to a herd of elk when they are headed to bed, think again. Yessir, I miss the easy elk hunting we did back in September...sitting over ponds, listening to bulls bugle as they head to water...bugling and cow calling to locate bulls...no snow or 20 degree mornings...hunting late season bulls is as tough as it gets!! And to think I've got a private land rifle tag for December in NM...
buglmin

Postby Coveyleader » 11 21, 2012 •  [Post 14]

The best season in colorado by far is the first rifle season. It is much easier to kill an elk then vs archery. The bulls are still bugling and that = dead elk. Plus the pressure in my area during archery season vs the first is night and day. Archery seasons are crowded.

As an example I hunt the same OTC area every year and normally kill a bull but not much of one. I've taken friends and relatives in there first season and we've shot some very nice bulls. I took a 72 year old guy in there this year and in two days we were done. He shot a 320ish bull (his first elk) and if we couldvhave moved around quicker he couldvhave taken a real whopper. No kidding 350ish. We saw 4 bulls over 300 in two days OTC.

My 2 cents, 1st rifle = easier.
Coveyleader

First Name: M
Last Name: Lewis

Postby cnelk » 11 21, 2012 •  [Post 15]

Im not hearing anyone talking too much about 'Luck vs Skill'.
Most replies are about 'Easier or Harder'
Big difference guys!
cnelk

First Name: Brad
Last Name: K

Postby buglmin » 11 21, 2012 •  [Post 16]

Luck vs skill....A good friend once told me that anyone can kill a big bull, all it takes is right time, right place. And I believe that. Ww've all heard the stories bout guys almost getting ran over by big bulls, or how the big bull just stepped out in the only opening there was to shoot. We've all heard bout the guys chasing big herd bulls for days and days, and suddenly, one morning after one bugle the bull comes storming in...
You see, we have no idea what happens at night in the elk woods...herd bulls loose all their cows in a fight, a new bull moves in...just like my friend said, right place, right time!1
We've all said how lucky we were at getting a chance to kill an elk...we've all hunted our butts off for days and days without hearing or seeing one elk, then one morning, the elk fall into our laps...I've killed more the my share of bulls, think I'm a good hunter and guide, know where and how to find bulls, but when a big bull suddenly comes crashing in, or youre in the right place to suddenly see a bull feeding below you...that dont involve skill, it involves luck...when Lady Luck finally besides to smile upon you...shoot first and ask questions latter...
buglmin

Postby Harmy » 11 21, 2012 •  [Post 17]

I think I have some skill as I have been able to harvest an elk every year for the last 8 years whereas my partners have not. Now, I am also lucky. Lucky that I hunt an area with lots of elk. I have been lucky on multiple occasions and have succeeded in stalking where my skill exceeded that of my partners. But I would have to say I prefer to be lucky. I would take luck any day. With hunting, it is a composite of the two for me. I need luck and I need to be prepared. Now, if I were to take up archery, it would be luck if I were to be successful...
Harmy

First Name: Chris

Postby stringunner » 11 21, 2012 •  [Post 18]

skill vs. luck

I have never rifle hunted elk, but have rifle hunted other animals, if this disclaimer matters.....

I think this is a loaded question! :D For me I would say there is more skill involved in archery hunting elk in the fact that it can be difficult to get within 30-40 yards of an elk, this takes some definite skill no matter which approach you use (calling, stalking, treestands, etc.). Shooting at elk at 30 yards is definitely different than 150-300-500-+ yards out. I think there is skill in rifle hunting, you have to know how to navigate the woods, understand elk behavior during the times you are hunting them, you have to find them, etc. But the difference for me is simply the distance to the target.

During archery season they may be more vocal and therefore easier to approach (but i read on here all the time about "the elk just not talking" "just not fired up yet" "no bugling"), they may be moving around looking for other elk, it may be hotter so they need to move closer to water, etc. These are all simply techniques needed to understand elk behavior and habit during this time of year. The same can be said for rifle season.

As for luck, I think in all hunting there are times of luck and we have all probably experienced it at one point or another, I don't believe guys putting animals on the ground is all luck all the time.
stringunner

Postby Coveyleader » 11 22, 2012 •  [Post 19]

As mentioned above, there is much more skill needed to get 20 yds from a bull vs 200+. Luck, I really don't believe in luck as it pertains to hunting. Sure things happen but I believe my skills and persistence got me there not luck. I don't rifle hunt, but take alot of people out who do soley to get more time in the woods. I've thought about picking up a rifle for elk simply due to the fact there is nobody in my spot during the first season. I can say this, from a bowhunters eyes, it takes no skill to kill an animal with a rifle. None. It's still fun though.
Coveyleader

First Name: M
Last Name: Lewis

Postby gveire » 12 10, 2012 •  [Post 20]

There is nothing and I mean nothing like having a big bull at 15 yards bugling. The second that happens that's it. Your hooked your world will change I live in a state (Nevada) you fill your tag you can't even hunt them for 10 years. (Other than depredation areas) as far as luck or skill I have to say both. They are smart animals and they don't get big by being dumb the rut is what make it possible. Stick and string wins for me but and for most of you I won't turn down a chance to pull the trigger.
gveire

First Name: Greg
Last Name: Veire