Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Whos thinking of next September?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Whos thinking of next September?

Postby elkoholic » 11 13, 2012 •  [Post 1]

Who other than myself is already thinking of next years season? What do plan on doing different next year if anything? What do plan on doing to prepare for next season?
elkoholic

First Name: Chewy
Last Name: Swatzell

Re: Whos thinking of next September?

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 11 13, 2012 •  [Post 2]

Thank you! I thought I was the only one planning next year's adventure already. Gonna hit ID for the second straight year and have some definite plans to do things a bit differently.. Although I got into multiple bulls on multiple days, my knive was never drawn. If all works out, Dotman (Tim) will be joining me for ID 2013. He's a MT transplant like myself and is one of the few guys I think that is into the hunt as much as I am. Really looking forward to getting him into more than a few screamers and seeing what his new Hoyt can do. Gonna start my conditioning even earlier next year; gonna work out some potential tree stand spots in the thickness of N ID (reading and absorbing Swede's Tree Stand Hunting Rocky MT Elk); gonna tweak my elk calling skills to a new, unprecedented level; and gonna have everything locked and cocked before I hit the road. It was a new area for me so a lot of my two week hunt was actually scouting/locating but man oh man, I got into em and will be all the more prepared for the SEP 2013 season.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Swede » 11 13, 2012 •  [Post 3]

Of coarse I am thinking about next September. For me it is hunting season or my thoughts are about hunting season. I start thinking about the next season even before the current one ends. That is the heart of a hunter. Earlier today it was time to order another tree stand and a new safety harness. I cannot possibly use all of the ones cleaned up and ready to go, but I want to try another. I spend way too much time on this forum or reading about hunting, but don't get the wrong idea. It is not an obsession.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby CrazyElkHunter » 11 13, 2012 •  [Post 4]

We have the same routine every year. While in elk camp, we automatically start talking about the next years hunt at our usual spot. It's our home away from home for 4/12 weeks. We are too old to pack in anymore, and we have gotten away from wall tents. We now set up a camp with toy haulers, satellite dishes, generators, freezers and horse shoes. So Sept. is on our minds everyday. We may not kill monster bulls, but still manage to fill the freezer every year on public land over the counter tags. The only thing different is since elk have been very quiet the last 4 years is that I have started hunting wallows from tree stands more. I love calling elk but when pressured elk are quiet, we adjust to what works.. I've taken 3 6x6's the last three years from wallows the 1st few days of the season.
CrazyElkHunter

First Name: Bill
Last Name: Custer

Postby T/H » 11 13, 2012 •  [Post 5]

if i draw a CO tag next year it will have been 3 years in the planning.
T/H

Postby 2OArchery » 11 13, 2012 •  [Post 6]

My group has done very well in Idaho. 8 bulls in 3 years with 3 bulls over 320. I'm the only one who hasn't killed an elk yet with my bow.

This year I am planning on 2 weeks off and hunting harder and hopefully packing out my own bull this year for a change.
2OArchery

Postby cnelk » 11 14, 2012 •  [Post 7]

With ZERO pref Points I will be back in my old OTC haunts with my buddies.
My son is going to be part of the team too!

Tree stands & run & gun, - Come on September!
cnelk

First Name: Brad
Last Name: K

Postby ElkNut1 » 11 14, 2012 •  [Post 8]

Another trick question here!! (grin) Elk is on my mind 24/7 it's terrible at times!!! So yes, I too am looking forward & preparing for 2013 elk hunting the rut!!!

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby foxvalley » 11 14, 2012 •  [Post 9]

More than ever!

My hunting partner wasn't feeling well this year,so we ended our hunt over a week early,and although I did kill an elk,it was bitter sweet,as we had all kinds of new area that we wanted to check out,lots of old hot spots we never got to,and I was not even close to wanting to come home,but it wasn't my call. This year will be a solo hunt for me,so I will be doing all the things that we wanted to do,and then some. I plan on at least 2 weeks,and am not coming home till the season ends.
foxvalley

First Name: doug
Last Name: houghton

Postby redtop » 11 14, 2012 •  [Post 10]

I was thinking of next september this past september.
redtop
Site Sponsor

First Name: norm
Last Name: larson

Postby buglmin » 11 14, 2012 •  [Post 11]

Its too early to be already thinking of next September...right now after a tough rifle hunt for elk, I'm thinking of hogs and whitetails in texas, then muleys in Arizona and New Mexico come January...there is too much to plan and work to do before one can start thinking of September...like maybe a spring bear hunt, turkeys back east, getting back into serious 3D competion...
buglmin

Postby one_elk » 11 14, 2012 •  [Post 12]

I too am always thinking and planning for next September hoping the snows come this winter so elk habitat will be lush next spring, calf production will be up and elk will be abundant…of course there are a lot of great adventures between now and next September but for me September is the month!
one_elk

Postby elkoholic » 11 14, 2012 •  [Post 13]

I to can never get hunting the majestic elk out of my mind. It's 24/7 for me!! I'm always reading, watching, and dreaming of the next hunt.
elkoholic

First Name: Chewy
Last Name: Swatzell

Postby easeup » 11 15, 2012 •  [Post 14]

Of course!
it passes the time while I sit on a stand here in TX.
easeup

Postby MT_Nate » 11 15, 2012 •  [Post 15]

During rifle season, I find way too many places I wish I would have been hunting in September (giant rubs, wallows, hammered trails, loads of scat, etc.). This year is no different, and I'm already planning when and where I'll be next September!
MT_Nate

Postby pointysticks » 11 15, 2012 •  [Post 16]

almost, but not yet.

i have AZ couse deer in january. that is occupying my mind now. i should shoot my bow more :( after that, it is my annual tag-lottery dance. AZ, NM..again for that bull elk tag. maybe i should start going back to church. this tag draw must benefit from some divine intervention.
pointysticks

First Name: cliff
Last Name: l

Postby Wapiti » 11 16, 2012 •  [Post 17]

Man I'Ve got it bad !! My wife had to book me into EE..............ELK ENONOMOUS !!!
Wapiti
Site Sponsor

First Name: Travis
Last Name: O'Shea

Postby >>>---WW----> » 11 16, 2012 •  [Post 18]

The thought of next September never crossed my mind. It is just imbedded in there permanently.
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby T/H » 11 16, 2012 •  [Post 19]

>>>---WW----> wrote:The thought of next September never crossed my mind. It is just imbedded in there permanently.

elk on the brain :)
T/H

Postby elkchaser503 » 12 10, 2012 •  [Post 20]

I started planning the 2013 season as i was driving home on my last day of my 2012 hunting trip. I found a couple good areas that i'll put up a few trail cams and see what shows up and if they are productive next year as they where this year i'll be putting up a few more tree stands.
elkchaser503

Postby mattstanton » 12 11, 2012 •  [Post 21]

I never stop. still practicing with my calls and shooting my bows every day. I know my area well enough that the research is minimal but I cant wait to get cameras out this spring to see if mongo made it through another winter. He is every bit of 370" and I was within 120yds of him twice this year. Been getting trail cam pics of him for 3 years now in the same area and finally found his living room. Shot another bull out of his herd this year but he won again. That is what is stuck in my mind!
mattstanton

Postby otcWill » 12 13, 2012 •  [Post 22]

Counting down the days already! I have done about 35 miles in the last three weekends scouting this beast in a new unit. He will shatter the Colorado archery state record when I drill him, LOL. The stuff dreams are made of! :shock:
Attachments
IMG_6228.JPG
IMG_6228.JPG (80.54 KiB) Viewed 11642 times
otcWill

Postby mongopino915 » 12 19, 2012 •  [Post 23]

For me, this is a daily ritual:
- Elk calling in the car on the way to work
- Elk calling in the car on the way home
- Play with the bows
mongopino915

Postby Huntography » 12 26, 2012 •  [Post 24]

The planning and dreaming has been in effect since the last day of archery this year ;)

In addition to filming more elk hunters this year, I plan on actually setting aside some more time for myself to hunt. Believe it of not I only hunted 1 day for elk this season - second to last day or archery and got close to a bull but not close enough, he was on the move and I couldn't flank him.

I'll be updating some of my gear, most importantly, my boots and GPS.

More pre- scouting is in order as well.

Overall, really looking forward to 2013 here in Colorado.

- Rudy
Huntography
Site Sponsor

First Name: Rudy

Postby T/H » 12 26, 2012 •  [Post 25]

if you are on this forum you are thinking of September :)
T/H

Postby oilcan » 12 27, 2012 •  [Post 26]

Never stop thinking of September ( Hunting in general ). With 17 N.R. points for Colorado and a little luck i will be hunting unit 61 next year. As are most of my hunts it will be a solo hunt and i have to admit i'm a little nervous about this one.Not the fact that i will be alone but the challenge of calling a Bull in by myself and being able to get the shot i need.
oilcan

Postby bowpackerrob » 12 31, 2012 •  [Post 27]

September, you are always on my mind!
bowpackerrob

First Name: Robbie
Last Name: Crocker

Postby Goat Boy » 01 01, 2013 •  [Post 28]

I can't stop thinking about it wife thinks I might be insane.
"You're never lost if you don't care where you're at"
Goat Boy

Postby ORelksniper » 01 01, 2013 •  [Post 29]

All my ex-wives said I thought about it too much. Maybe so.
ORelksniper

Postby six » 01 04, 2013 •  [Post 30]

My wife basically accused me of having an affair with elk hunting. "Your always talking about Colorado, your always talking: with guys on that website," I didn't realize how bad it was for her. She doesn't really have a hobby let along a passion.

Come on September.
six

First Name: Mark
Last Name: Cool

Postby mandrroofing » 01 04, 2013 •  [Post 31]

Yes!last Sep was my first elk trip,I live in central Ohio and went to sw Colorado.did not bag an elk but did get to draw back on a bull but just did not work out!i have decided that if I had to choose between the whitetail rut and the elk rut I would be bulging my ball off!this comming Sep is gonna take forever to get here but at least it will give me time to my group together.I'm thinking of going the last week of archary,does that should like an ok bet?ill be hunting public land.when is everone elce going?
mandrroofing

First Name: Matt

Postby ElkNut1 » 01 04, 2013 •  [Post 32]

Yep, last week is usually pretty good. I try and hunt the whole month since I live in elk country. Works for us. My favorite dates are Sept 10-25 - Good luck.

ElKNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby Bartfrncs » 01 04, 2013 •  [Post 33]

Yes its almost time for the pref piont dance here in Colorado. If your not planning your hunt already your kindof behind the power curve.
Bart :D
Bartfrncs

First Name: Bart
Last Name: Frncs

Postby dotman » 01 04, 2013 •  [Post 34]

I had my 2013 plans made by the first of this past Oct :)
dotman

Postby dotman » 01 04, 2013 •  [Post 35]

six wrote:My wife basically accused me of having an affair with elk hunting. "Your always talking about Colorado, your always talking: with guys on that website," I didn't realize how bad it was for her. She doesn't really have a hobby let along a passion.

Come on September.

That's funny cause my wife actually thought I had a girlfriend, in her words "are you cheating on me, no one talks about hunting this much!". As I bust out laughing and swear I'm not nor would ever do that she says "your crazy".
dotman

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 01 04, 2013 •  [Post 36]

Not me.. not the least little bit ;)
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby dreamhunter » 01 07, 2013 •  [Post 37]

I too have been thinking about it since last Sept. It seems to be on my mind daily. I have only hunted otc archery in south central colorado. I have seen elk and heard them but haven't had my chance to draw on one yet. I was sitting here tonight reading on this forum and I have also been reading on and studying about NM elk hunts. So I turned to my sweetie ( my wife ) and said " what would you say if I wanted to hunt both colorado and NM if I am able to get the draw". I'm thinking gmu NM 52 and whatever gmu colorado has next to it. She looked at me and said, " Honey you know how I feel about it,if you can make it work in your schedule to where you can afford it then do it" .I then said well I might have to leave a week early to scout both areas. No worries was her reply. I have never been gone anywhere for three weeks at one time. Oh well just wanted to post some thoughts ,she also said she thinks I'm nuts . ; ) Now I need a NM hunting partner.
dreamhunter

First Name: Holly
Last Name: Paugh

Postby snake » 01 07, 2013 •  [Post 38]

I've been thinking about September 2013 for a long long time. It will be my first elk hunt this year, doing OTC in Colorado. I started my workout routine again this morning. I will be hitting it hard on the workout since bow season is almost over with here. I can't wait to get to the mountains.
snake

First Name: Jacob
Last Name: Dirnbeger

Postby cnelk » 01 08, 2013 •  [Post 39]

Im not only thinking of next september, but every september...
cnelk

First Name: Brad
Last Name: K