Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Posted public lands

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Posted public lands

Postby Lefty » 11 11, 2012 •  [Post 1]

:twisted:
It happened again.
8 and 9 years ago I stayed out of an area that was posted as private. A call to the BLM said thay have had posting problems in the area and no man power and to just drive on past them
Yesterday I took a trip to the area. While posted diffently than it was years back the signage looked again looke officail. Had the land been transfered from public to private?
I checked the states maps. Still public land.
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Re: Posted public lands

Postby JohnFitzgerald » 11 11, 2012 •  [Post 2]

I seen the same thing where I hunt in Oregon. Notified State Patrol for that area and they had an idea of who did it. But unless they catch them in the act, they couldn't do much about it. Do your research and if it's State land, hunt it.

In my opinion, very unethical to post land that's not your right to limit access too. For me that type of activity ranks up there with shooting by spotlight or shooting out of season! Makes me very :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
JohnFitzgerald

Postby twinkieman » 11 11, 2012 •  [Post 3]

Happened to me as well in Oregon, however I saw vehicle tracks beyond the "road closed" sign. I hunted nearby, and returned at dusk and questioned the vehicle coming out after dark. The two vehicle occupants just laughed and said it kept everyone out every year, and they had never been asked about it before. For thosef you who may still hunt this area, it is on the ouskirts of the Monument Rock Wilderness area just beyond Andersopn Creek, and YES it is public ground.
twinkieman

First Name: marc
Last Name: anderson

Postby ElkNut1 » 11 11, 2012 •  [Post 4]

I hunt a Turkey area where signs were posted illegally by landowners so you couldn't access public ground, I found out they were being a bit crooked about it with the sign posting so got around it 6-7 years ago & stll hunt that area today, it does happen!

No issues in our elk areas as they are far from everyone!

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby Swede » 11 11, 2012 •  [Post 5]

Unfortunately, even though the signs may come down for a short time, they don't stay down, because no real effort is make to get to the real problem. The people who are setting up the signs are illegally taking public land. The land management agencies make very little effort to deal with the core issue.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby LckyTylr » 11 12, 2012 •  [Post 6]

I would imagine that a visit to a local city or county surveyors office would reveal whom owns the land adjacent to that illegally posted area. I'd go knock on their door. Play stupid, ask 'em if you can hunt the area in question. If they say "No, it's posted for a reason", I'd hand them their posted signs and tell 'em where to stick 'em. I found an area like this a few weeks ago. Man was I mad!!!
LckyTylr

First Name: Tyler
Last Name: Sisson

Postby flystrait » 11 12, 2012 •  [Post 7]

I just purchased Hunting GPS Maps and its the best thing I have purchased to date. It shows everything from land ownerships to hunt districts. I found several areas in MT that has signs up as well and would have not known that is was public without the map chip. I was dumb founded by the number of public property posted as if were private!
flystrait

Postby one_elk » 11 12, 2012 •  [Post 8]

I second the use of the Hunting GPS chip for your GPS it is a great tool in trying to figure out where you can and can't hunt. It also includes landowner names so you can contact a land owener to reqest permisson....mind you that phone numbers are not included but land owner info is....
one_elk

Postby CrazyElkHunter » 11 13, 2012 •  [Post 9]

If I hunt a new area, I always get BLM maps. It's amazing how much public land is landlocked. Not fare! With the maps and a GPS you can be more accurate on the boundaries, but hard to get to thousands of acres of public land surrounded by private. A few months ago I watched On Your Own Adventures on the Outdoor Channel, and he flew by helicopter into the landlocked area and shot a great bull. I would imagine the legalities of that would be different with each state.
CrazyElkHunter

First Name: Bill
Last Name: Custer

Postby Swede » 11 13, 2012 •  [Post 10]

Apparently helicopter rides into isolated BLM sections is getting popular for those who cn afford the ride in and out.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics