Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Guess this Elk Sound #2

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Guess this Elk Sound #2

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 06 13, 2012 •  [Post 1]

Allright folks.. Second installment of the "Guess this Elk Sound". Listen to my clip and identify what kind of elk sound it is. If you'd like, throw up your own offering of this sound for the group to hear. It's certainly not required, but an option if you'd like. I can't think of a better forum to throw up our elk sounds and perhaps, get some pretty good feedback. RJ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33kEI9eK ... e=youtu.be
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Re: Guess this Elk Sound #2

Postby ctdad » 06 14, 2012 •  [Post 2]

challenge bugle with grunts. I don't have time to record one now but I do like these threads and hope you continue with them. In the spirit of the first one, how would everyone respond to this sound or use it in the field?
ctdad

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 06 14, 2012 •  [Post 3]

Anybody else?
WapitiTalk1

Postby >>>---WW----> » 06 14, 2012 •  [Post 4]

Just a plain old bugle with rather timid grunts. Kinda like, "Hey guys I'm over here but I really ain't looking to get my tail kicked today"!

Sorry, but that is what I'm hearing. If you really want to challenge, you need to get a little bit more intiminateing. Please don't think I'm knocking your call. As a matter of fact, they sound very good. Just not evil, wicked, mean, and nasty enough to be a challenge!
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby eltaco » 06 14, 2012 •  [Post 5]

I didn't respond because I wasn't certain. Sounded like a ho-hum bugle with grunts. I must be missing something because I've heard RJ get his challenge bugle on and this wasn't it! :)

WW, we need to get you set up for posting some sounds, buddy! You've been a big help to me, and I'm dying to hear some of your calling!
eltaco

Postby ElkNut1 » 06 14, 2012 •  [Post 6]

Bugle with grunts! As any elk sound goes, there are different levels of intensity depending on the situation at hand! The one shared is just a lower intensity as if a herd bull hears a distant bull. He lets him know to keep his distance. If this intruder were to get much closer the warning can intensify. If this intruder is now 50 yards away & calls for this bulls cows or challenges the herd bull directly then his sounds could go off the charts!

ctdad, once I received a response to my location bugle like the one by Phantom16 I would head towards the bull with no more bugling, I don't want him to know I'm on my way to him & give away my intent or new position. If I had him pegged pretty well as to where he was I'd get as close to him as was possible, if he continued to bugle on his own I would not call back, I would just do my best to get within range & take him in stealth mode, done!

If calling was the answer, I'd get inside a 100yds & test him with 2 cow sounds 3-4 seconds apart, if he responded to her I'd scream my anger right over his bugle, he should be on the way! If not, & the bull does not respond I'd go right back to the cow calls in excited fashion & go right at him with cover & good wind. The bull most likely would call again trying to call the cow to him, I'd give him what he wanted, her! Plus a little sharp stick! (grin)

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby eltaco » 06 14, 2012 •  [Post 7]

I'll also add that you should exercise caution in trying to close the distance on a bull that's answered you. Gauge his intensity before just barreling in on him.

I say this based on painful experience. Had a bull absolutely tear my hunting partner's locator bugle apart and we decided to quick close the distance. Problem was... the bull was furious that we were in HIS area, ditched his cows and ran straight at us! By the time we realized it, he had us spotted at about 50yds and the encounter was over before we knew it. Almost wish I hadn't seen his 320-330" rack as he spun away.

Thankfully, there were two other bulls pestering him that morning, and one of them picked up right where the herd bull left off. Half hour later, I had my first archery bull on the ground... and that's where my love for elk calling began!
eltaco

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 06 14, 2012 •  [Post 8]

Hey guys.. Guess I should have explained better. I'm not trying to wow the masses (will leave that to the experts), but am merely just making some some various elk sounds that we could hear in the elk woods. I'm doing my best to keep them clear and identifiable. For Guess this Elk Sound #2, I threw out a "bugle with grunts" for identification and discussion. Great comments and interpretation by all.. Keep em coming.. Will get another one up in a day or so :) RJ
WapitiTalk1

Postby ElkNut1 » 06 14, 2012 •  [Post 9]

Yes, gaging an encounter should always be done as eltaco mentions! The difference in the scenarios differ quite a bit & therefore more options become available! In the one I discussed it was an encounter with a single bull & his cows, no satellites. In the one of eltaco's his encounter is with cows in estrus & several satellites harassing the herd bull & his cows. With this scenario you could easily introduce yourself as a true competitor bull to the herd bull several hundred yards out & then again at 100yds & really build the tempo. The herd bull isn't going anywhere as he's already standing his ground with the existing satellites in his midst! Get in close & cow call aggressively & when he answers bugle over him quickly! If he seems to be hanging up at all go into annoying cow sounds as you turn away & bull pants groans & growls & lots of stomping/thrashing about, this herd bull will most likely be on top of you in seconds! You best have an arrow nocked!! (grin)

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Guess this Elk Sound #2

Postby slim9300 » 06 14, 2012 •  [Post 10]

ElkNut1 wrote:Bugle with grunts! As any elk sound goes, there are different levels of intensity depending on the situation at hand! The one shared is just a lower intensity as if a herd bull hears a distant bull. He lets him know to keep his distance. If this intruder were to get much closer the warning can intensify. If this intruder is now 50 yards away & calls for this bulls cows or challenges the herd bull directly then his sounds could go off the charts!

ElkNut1

Exactly. I have watched and listened to herd bulls many times that have responded to a far away bugle with this type of response. It's almost like they are responding out of habit since they don't seem overly concerned about anything.

Here's my attempt at a little more intense challenge bugle with grunts...

http://soundcloud.com/slim9300/challenge-bugle-w-grunts-2
slim9300
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics