Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Jerky Recipes

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Jerky Recipes

Postby Harmy » 11 05, 2012 •  [Post 1]

The Sausage thread requested some jerky recipes. Over the last few years I have done quite a bit of experimetation. Here are some of my favorites.

The best one so far:

10 lbs elk.
2 cup Jack Daniels
1/2 cup A1 steak sauce
3/4 cup Yoshidas Teriyaki
1/4 cup soy sauce
1 tbs Chipotle Tabasco
12 drops liquid smoke Hickory
1/4 cup Balsalmic Vinegar
1 tea ground black pepper
1 TBS Chilli Powder
2 TBS onion flakes
1 TBS Curry powder
1 TBS Paprika
1 Cup Water
1TBS Salt
1 1/2 tea cure

Soak fully submerged for 48 hours or more in the fridge. Cook a piece before drying to determine if you need to add salt or rinse before drying. I have had many accolades for this one...
I also made the same recipe as above but used Samuel Smiths Oatmeal Stout instead of Jack Daniels. A very strong and bitter flavor. If you really like bitter beer this is a good option. About half the people who tried it loved it and the others hated it. I like it a lot.

Here is my #2 favorite

10 lbs elk.
3/4 Cup A1 Steak Sauce
1 Cup Mae Ploy Chilli Sauce
10 squirts liquid Smoke
1/2 Cup Balsalmic or Red Wine
1/2 Cup Soy Sauce
1 TBS Paprika
1 tea cayenne (increase if you like it spicier)
3 TBS Onion Flakes
1 tea cure
1 TBS Black Pepper
2 TBS Curry Powder
2 TBS Salt

Here is another spicy-sweet one. My kids favorite.

10 lbs elk
1 TBS Curry
1 tea cure
2 TBS Salt
2 TBS Garlic Powder
2 TBS Paprika
2 tea chilli powder
1 TBS Ginger powder
1 TBS onion powder
1 TBS White Pepper
2 tea chipotle tabasco
1 tea mesquite liquid smoke
2 TBS yellow chineese mustard (hot)
2 TBS Worchestershire
1/2 cup Katchup
1/2 Cup Sweet Baby Rays BBQ Sauce
1/2 Cup Soy
1/2 Cup A1
3 Cups Water

This one needed to be lightly rinsed by running water into pan and overflowing for about 2 min before drying.

Here is one last one that is super simple.

In two plates place fresh ground Kosher or pickling salt and in the other fresh ground coriander. Dip meat in each to coat. Then dry.
Harmy

First Name: Chris

Re: Jerky Recipes

Postby ElkNut1 » 11 05, 2012 •  [Post 2]

Let's see, I've put teriyaki, salt & pepper & have been good to go, geez, I'm boring compared tou your recipes!! (grin)

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby Swede » 11 05, 2012 •  [Post 3]

I hate these threads. I love good jerky, but every time I threaten to build or buy a smoker I am reminded that I have to lay-off on the salt. Getting old is not for wimps. :)
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Vanish » 11 06, 2012 •  [Post 4]

Just made this one about a month ago with my last venison from last year. Fantastic!

4 pounds boneless venison roast
1 cup soy sauce
1 cup Worcestershire sauce
1/2 cup liquid smoke flavoring
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup Sriracha sauce
1 teaspoon red pepper
2 teaspoons pepper
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder
2 teaspoons salt
Pineapple juice

Put in gallon ziplock, fill with pineapple juice until everything is submerged.
Vanish

First Name: Ryan
Last Name: Driskel

Postby eltaco » 11 13, 2012 •  [Post 5]

Any tips on what temp to smoke at and for what duration? I am marinating about 4# of 1/4" thick cuts of antelope right now.... going to give this a try tonight or tomorrow.

PS, your recipe had better be good, Vanish :) I'd like to try these all but had most of the ingredients for yours so I'll give it a run!

Thanks for the recipes, fellas. I'm a terrible cook and this helps me a lot!
eltaco

Postby eltaco » 11 13, 2012 •  [Post 6]

Thanks for the info. I set mine up at 180 and let her rip. Its getting cold outside and the temp was varying between 165-200F, watched it for an hour and a half and then gave my son a bath and put him to bed... came out and dang if it hadn't gone to 255F! I caught it just in time, the thinnest pieces were perfect and the rest is still a bit chewy. I certainly won't make it to 6-8hrs, but I'm well pleased with the little bit that I tried!
eltaco

Postby Vanish » 11 14, 2012 •  [Post 7]

let me know what you think eltaco! Jerky is usually something I do off the cuff but that batch came out so good I actually wrote down the recipe. :D Hope I didn't forget an ingredient.

We just got from Nebraska with a half dozen deer and I'm ready to make some more!
Vanish

First Name: Ryan
Last Name: Driskel

Postby eltaco » 11 14, 2012 •  [Post 8]

Vanish wrote:let me know what you think eltaco! Jerky is usually something I do off the cuff but that batch came out so good I actually wrote down the recipe. :D Hope I didn't forget an ingredient.

We just got from Nebraska with a half dozen deer and I'm ready to make some more!

What did I think?! .... it is freaking awesome! That's what I think!

I had a little issue with my smoker where it decided to randomly run temp up after 2hrs. Thankfully I caught it and didn't lose any meat to it! My thinnest pieces came off at 3hrs and went to 4hrs for my thickest pieces. Absolutely perfect!

I used chipotle pepper for the red pepper, and 6oz of pineapple juice... otherwise followed it exactly. Smoked with maple pellets at 180F and man it came out good. I took it straight off of the smoker and let it air cool for only a couple of minutes before bagging it up. Really sealed the juice in and it turned out firm but chewy and moist... absolutely perfect. I love jerky to have some sweet flavor with a bit of bite to it and this hit it perfectly. I'm storing this recipe away! Thanks for the info!
eltaco