Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Gotta have it!

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Re: Gotta have it!

Postby JohnFitzgerald » 11 02, 2012 •  [Post 1]

My bino straps are getting old and falling apart. I think I'm going to get the Badlands Binocular Case. I hunted with someone who had one and I think it will compliment my Eberlestock x2 nicely.
JohnFitzgerald

Postby LckyTylr » 11 02, 2012 •  [Post 2]

Ugh . . . . I just made this list earlier today and it's depressing. These items have all been on my list for a LONG time, but I have been in school for almost 5 years now, and I'm about to graduate. I have my big-boy offer in hand, so I'm ready to upgrade.

New Binos (Vortex) $400
Upgrade Pack (Sitka Bivy 30 - 45) $80
Sleeping Bag (Marmot 0 Deg) $300
Scope (Vortex 4.5-10) $400
Rings/Bases/Mounting $100
Rifle (Rem 700 SS 7mm RUM) $400 At least I'm getting a really good deal on this.
Total $1680

This doesn't include all of the little things like new reeds, plus all of the gas money it's going to take to find a new honey hole, plus Mt House Meals for scouting and hunting. Ughhhhhhhhh.
LckyTylr

First Name: Tyler
Last Name: Sisson

Postby LckyTylr » 11 03, 2012 •  [Post 3]

Need to revise my Binos Estimate, the Viper HD's are $650 . . . . . . Oh Lord!!!

And apparently I need new boots Meindl Perfekt's $260
LckyTylr

First Name: Tyler
Last Name: Sisson

Postby Harmy » 11 04, 2012 •  [Post 4]

Next year I have to get a new spotting scope. Want a new Vortex (gotta start saving now...). Will also get a second set of kiui merino wool base layers. I did purchase the chugach rain jacket this year and want the pants for next year. Of course, what I really want is to set myself up with a bow but the prospect is a bit intimidating as I know nothing about them. Now, for Christmas this year what I NEED is to get my buddies copies of the ElkNut playbook and DVD set...
Harmy

First Name: Chris

Postby dotman » 11 04, 2012 •  [Post 5]

JohnFitzgerald wrote:My bino straps are getting old and falling apart. I think I'm going to get the Badlands Binocular Case. I hunted with someone who had one and I think it will compliment my Eberlestock x2 nicely.

I highly recommend the FHF Gear bino harness system, cheaper then the badlands, less bulky, better made and it is made in MT. Oh yeah it is the closest fitting one I have tried.
dotman

Postby dotman » 11 04, 2012 •  [Post 6]

LckyTylr wrote:Need to revise my Binos Estimate, the Viper HD's are $650 . . . . . . Oh Lord!!!

And apparently I need new boots Meindl Perfekt's $260

Check out the Asolo Sassalongs at sierra trading post, best bang for the buck when you include their discounts.
dotman

Postby JohnFitzgerald » 11 04, 2012 •  [Post 7]

dotman wrote:
JohnFitzgerald wrote:My bino straps are getting old and falling apart. I think I'm going to get the Badlands Binocular Case. I hunted with someone who had one and I think it will compliment my Eberlestock x2 nicely.

I highly recommend the FHF Gear bino harness system, cheaper then the badlands, less bulky, better made and it is made in MT. Oh yeah it is the closest fitting one I have tried.

Thanks dotman, I will check it out!
JohnFitzgerald

Postby pointysticks » 11 04, 2012 •  [Post 8]

second the FHF bino pouch. in serious dusty conditions, it doesnt cover up the binos completely, so you will have extra lens cleaning to do. not an issue for me. let me know if you need a pic to explain this. but it is the best bino pouch in terms of comfort.

for this year, i need a new tripod for my (new) spotting scope. leaning towards a Silk. or i might just go cheap and put a ball head on my current Bogan camera tripod. but i will have a weight penalty.

i need a new broadhead target.

i NEED a new rangefinder.

if alaska happens, i will need a new .44 magnum..gulp$$!

want, i want a new backpack.
pointysticks

First Name: cliff
Last Name: l

Postby ElkNut1 » 11 05, 2012 •  [Post 9]

I want a 2nd pair of boots! The new Crispi Utah boot is killer! (not out yet) I will own a pair of those!

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby Swede » 11 05, 2012 •  [Post 10]

I am thinking about another tree stand. I have to be careful though. My wife is very skeptical. Also I am looking at a new safety harness. I have never tried the newer style vest types. Mostly, I am just curious about them.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics