Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Backup Plan

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Backup Plan

Postby Swede » 11 02, 2012 •  [Post 1]

For the last umpteen years I have primarily been a tree stand bow hunter for elk. Before that it was my backup way of hunting the critters. Now days, as a back up, I will sit and do low intensity calls during the mid day or ocasionally in the early morning well away from any tree stand I have. I do this if I want a break from tree stand hunting, or if tree stand hunting is slow. For me light calling during the midday seems best, in my heavily hunted area, about mid season before the rut starts.
When things are not working ,what do others have for a go to backup tactic, or do you stick with what you have been doing and just hang in there?
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Backup Plan

Postby BarW » 11 02, 2012 •  [Post 2]

I like call hunting if it's working and the elk are following the script. We carry climbers with us to use on heavy trails or wallows if the calling is not working. Also started taking a popup blind to use on wallows where climbers are not an option.
BarW

First Name: Mark
Last Name: Wiggins

Re: Backup Plan

Postby Swede » 11 08, 2012 •  [Post 3]

This thread received only one response, so I am wondering if many hunters have a backup plan. I know some hunters continue doing the same things until time runs out, and I know more that just return home and give in. Some people try a new area to see that changes things for them. Besides low intensity calling during the mid day, I will scout other tree stand locations I have used in the past, to see if there is activity there. This I know from experience: persistance pays. Just don't continue riding a dead mule.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Re: Backup Plan

Postby Lefty » 11 09, 2012 •  [Post 4]

I hunt out of a box blind in the evening in front of water
Listen early AM
Glass at first light
Call and glass in the sage during the day I have lots of ground to cover
And somedays,.. the backup plan is a nap
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis