Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Colorado Area 61 Bull

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Colorado Area 61 Bull

Postby Magic » 10 28, 2012 •  [Post 1]

We are back and here is the story.

We left Wednesday AM before breakfast, ate a steak at the Big Texan the day before the "Cowboy" burned. We had time to set up our base camp Thursday evening before dark. Friday would be spent scouting.
My Elk season opened Saturday AM, and we were immediately looking at two elk cows when it got first light. An hour later I passed up a 75 yard shot at a 4X4 bull. Later that morning we saw a spike and about 6 cows.

We hunted in a completely different spot the second day. That afternoon we saw a very nice 5X5 bull. He went into an Aspen draw with his cows so we closed the distance to about 300 yards and set up. Surely they would feed back out into the opening later that day. They did, but he quickly walked through thick Oak Brush at over 400 yards and did not really become clearly visible until over 500 yards. I am comfortable shooting at 400 but not 500 yards.
My legs were not able to completely recover between one day's climb and the next day's beginning. We were always in the sleeping bag before 9:00 PM and up at 4:00 AM, but it just did not seem like enough. We always ate plenty of good food at night and carried various trail bars, etc., but I still lost over 5 lbs. My toes took a beating. I had failed to realize that my toenails were too long.

Because of this, a decision was made to drive the truck 12 miles around to the bottom of the mountain and ride the 4 wheeler back around to the starting point. We could then hunt the 4½ miles through without having to make the return trip in the dark.

The last day that I hunted began with the threat of a weather front coming in as the red sky morning indicated. By noon, the winds were gusting heavily, and by mid- afternoon, trees and tree limbs were falling around us. Some quite close, even too close. The GPS told us that a trail was nearby, so we made our way to it and began our descent and were really thinking about the next day's hunt.

As I looked to my right I saw a cow elk's head about 65 yards away, sticking up above the grass and fallen trees. We immediately started closely examining the area and soon found other elk bedded down. Two spikes, a large bull with very broken antlers. All of his tops were gone leaving only the brow and bez tines. Then we saw him, a good bull with 5 nice points on one side. The royal had failed to split on the other side making him a 4X5, but good. I decided to shoot, but that was not possible with him lying down. He was just beyond a log, plus an animal's vitals are hard to reach when bedded. I would have to be patient and wait for him to stand and wait I did. I looked at my watch...4:00. I eased over to a larger 14" Aspen, planted my shooting stick, not knowing that at 5:30, I would still be standing there. He stretched his neck out and laid his head on the ground for a while, then twisted it around and rested it across his body for a while. My feet and legs were numb for sure. Marty was behind me continually scanning everything and also looking at the area that was hidden from me beyond the Aspen that I was standing behind.

"Move your rifle to the other side of the tree and shoot". Marty's voice was commanding, and because of our relationship together, I completely understood and trusted its meaning. I moved my rifle from the right to the left side of the Aspen, but could see nothing but cows because the newly arrived bull was behind a tree. When he stepped out I was ready. He was quartering toward me, so I slipped a Nosler Accubond in just to the rear part of the near shoulder which traveled completely through him and lodged under the skin on the off side. His legs stiffened and he turned and started walking away. I quickly moved the rifle to the right side of the Aspen and fired a "going away" quartering shot. This bullet lodged under the skin on the opposite side. The 6X6 bull simply toppled over. The time elapse had been less than 5 seconds and the shots were less than 60 yards. We walked to the bull and a firm handshake and hugs were in order. Together we had done it. This quest had begun 17 years ago when I first applied for this limited area elk license. This area encompasses approximately 1100 sq. miles or approximately 7.5 million acres. Only 200 licenses are issued with 34 going to Colorado nonresidents.

Picture taking was first while we still had light, after which a gentle snow began to fall. While this was certainly not the largest bull in the area or even the largest that we saw, he was plenty large enough for this ole Redneck country boy. Now the real work begins.
We used the "gutless" method where we proceeded to skin out the top side, remove the quarters, loin, and tender before rolling him over and doing the same on the other side. Limbs were laid across a couple of logs forming a shelf so that the air could circulate. The meat was then liberally dosed with black pepper to prevent bear, coyote, and other predator damage.
The head, antlers, and cape which weighed about 75 pounds were carried out. The kill site was a bit over 2 miles from the truck.
Elk are the only hoofed animals that have canine (eye) teeth. As they age, these "ivories" wear and produce a beautiful wear pattern. I have worn an elk ivory pendant around my neck for years, but it will be replaced with one of these for sure.

My sincere thanks go to my wife, Pat for allowing me to have this time off, to Marty's wife and family for sharing him with me, to Marty just for being the Son that he is, and to Wood-Mizer for providing the income means that allows me to enjoy this special time. Thanks also to anyone that may take the time to read these ramblings.
Attachments
DSCN1218 (Small).JPG
About 4" of his left royal was broken off.
DSCN1218 (Small).JPG (179.02 KiB) Viewed 7725 times
DSCN1210 (Small).JPG
This picture shows the width of 38".
DSCN1210 (Small).JPG (180.95 KiB) Viewed 7725 times
DSCN1205 (Small).JPG
DSCN1205 (Small).JPG (180.5 KiB) Viewed 7725 times
Magic

First Name: Lynn
Last Name: D

Re: Colorado Area 61 Bull

Postby cnelk » 10 28, 2012 •  [Post 2]

Gotta love it!

Nice work!
cnelk

First Name: Brad
Last Name: K

Postby >>>---WW----> » 10 28, 2012 •  [Post 3]

Congratulations Lynn. Did you hunt anywhere close to the places I told you about?
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby one_elk » 10 28, 2012 •  [Post 4]

Great job and good story thanks for sharing with us.....
one_elk

Postby ORelksniper » 10 28, 2012 •  [Post 5]

Nice bull, Magic, and good story too. Congrats! Did you actually have to wait 17 years to draw this tag?
ORelksniper

Postby planebow » 10 28, 2012 •  [Post 6]

Enjoyed your story, great bull
planebow

First Name: Robert
Last Name: Howard

Postby Magic » 10 28, 2012 •  [Post 7]

Yes, this was my 17th year to apply for a limited area license.

Bill, I got an unfavorable report on the Tabeguache area while we were driving out. I had exchanged phone numbers with a first season hunter and the only elk that he had seen was one spike. His hunting partner had killed a badly broken bull. With that, I went into the Cottonwood area.

I shot this bull on the 5th day with 4 hunting days left. I have no regrets.

I carried the head/antlers/cape to the taxidermist today and made a decision about the form. It all weighed 65 pounds. No wonder that 2 miles of pack out was tough.
Attachments
DSCN1226 (Small).JPG
DSCN1226 (Small).JPG (117.56 KiB) Viewed 7701 times
Magic

Postby Magic » 10 28, 2012 •  [Post 8]

His "ivories".
Attachments
DSCN1268 (Small).JPG
DSCN1268 (Small).JPG (108.14 KiB) Viewed 7700 times
Magic

Postby LckyTylr » 10 28, 2012 •  [Post 9]

Good job, that's a good story. :-) Well done.
LckyTylr

First Name: Tyler
Last Name: Sisson

Postby cnelk » 10 28, 2012 •  [Post 10]

What season did this hunt take place?
cnelk

Postby Magic » 10 28, 2012 •  [Post 11]

The second Rifle season. I killed him on the 5th day of the 9 day season. You just never know, maybe I should have waited because I saw a larger bull on the second day, but my goal was to take a mature bull, with no "score" expectations. I have no idea about my bulls score because he fulfilled my expectations.
Magic

Postby cnelk » 10 28, 2012 •  [Post 12]

As long as you are happy with him thats all that matters!
There is only one 'Score Book' and thats yours! :)

My 61 bull this year had some great looking ivories too!!!

Also
I just looked at the Stats and it shows that 34.6 % of NR drew that tag with 14 PP.
And it looks like a 100% NR drew with 15 PP.
cnelk

Postby CrazyElkHunter » 10 28, 2012 •  [Post 13]

Good story and congrats on the bull. ;)
CrazyElkHunter

First Name: Bill
Last Name: Custer

Postby Magic » 10 29, 2012 •  [Post 14]

Right on the draw stats. I tried for a 1st season last year and didn't draw. Since I am 69 years old, I did not trust my chances of drawing a 1st this year which is why I opted for a 2nd season tag. I was tired of chasing PP's and I wanted to hunt while I could still walk. I made the correct decision for me. ;)
Magic

Postby ElkNut1 » 10 29, 2012 •  [Post 15]

Lynn, way to go sir!!! Absolutely a job well done, nice shot & back up shot as well, I love those tracking jobs! (grin) I enjoyed the story & how it was written, very nice!

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby Magic » 10 29, 2012 •  [Post 16]

Thanks for the kind words Paul.

GregE from another forum was visiting me when my custom John Neeman sheath knife arrived from Latvia. It made the first cut on skinning out this bull. Since the blade is Rockwell C 61-62, it would easily skin out another elk before it needs resharpening. (but sharpening it will be a challenge)
Attachments
DSCN1224 (Small).JPG
Getting-r-done
DSCN1224 (Small).JPG (127.97 KiB) Viewed 7670 times
DSCN1221 (Custom).JPG
John Neeman sheath knife.
DSCN1221 (Custom).JPG (159.02 KiB) Viewed 7670 times
Magic

Postby >>>---WW----> » 10 29, 2012 •  [Post 17]

I saw one heck of a nice bull down in the oakbrush near the spring at the end of Cottonwood. There are some nice ones in there for sure. Lots of bear as well. Nise color on those ivorys.
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby Vanish » 10 29, 2012 •  [Post 18]

I've been waiting for this report Magic, glad too see you come home smiling!
Vanish

First Name: Ryan
Last Name: Driskel

Postby Harmy » 10 29, 2012 •  [Post 19]

Nice one Magic. Congrats.
Harmy

First Name: Chris

Postby Magic » 10 29, 2012 •  [Post 20]

Here are the two recovered bullets. Both were fired at about 60 yards and the one on the left was more broadside.
Attachments
DSCN1271 (Small).JPG
DSCN1271 (Small).JPG (67.37 KiB) Viewed 7627 times
Magic

Postby MTLongdraw » 10 29, 2012 •  [Post 21]

It must be the power of the beard! Great Bull :D
MTLongdraw

First Name: Josh
Last Name: Volinkaty

Postby Magic » 10 30, 2012 •  [Post 22]

Thanks, I quit shaving every year in August and then have a shaving party around the 1st of November......probably today. :o :shock: ;)
Magic

Postby Magic » 11 08, 2012 •  [Post 23]

And now for the enjoying.

She gave the elk tenderloin a good coating with Mrs. Dash "Steak" Grilling Blend, seared it good in her cast iron griddle, and then popped it into the oven. It came out when it reached "medium" which is hot pink.
Attachments
DSCN1307 (Small).JPG
DSCN1307 (Small).JPG (145.97 KiB) Viewed 7541 times
Magic

Postby Magic » 12 08, 2012 •  [Post 24]

We bought this piece of Redwood burl when we were in California in 1997. I have always wondered what I would ever do with it.
Well, today was the day. I put a coat of Danish Oil on which darkened it more than I expected, but is is what it is.
A front view.
I am only borrowing the wife's picture hanging spot for now. It will be moved to the Cabin later.
Magic