Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Things I Forgot To Bring To Camp?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Postby ElkNut1 » 10 20, 2012 •  [Post 1]

It seems every year we are more than ready before our Elk Hunts start! At least we thought we were! (grin) Then there's those spur of the moment days we rush to camp hoping to get in a day or two of elk hunting. What types of things did you forget this year in your excitement to get there!

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Re: Things I Forgot To Bring To Camp?

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 10 20, 2012 •  [Post 2]

A good camera! I asked my hunting buddy on the trip to ID if he'd packed his digital camera. He said he'd forgot it on his boat. We'd agreed that he'd bring his digital camera as I was bringing the VID camera.. Contemplated buying a new one on the way over but didn't want to spend money on something I already had at the house.. Ended up picking up a few disposable cameras to capture our hunt. Pictures were not very good.. Note to self, bring my own darn digital camera next year.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby bnsafe » 10 20, 2012 •  [Post 3]

i didnt forget anything, but i way over thought and over packed. took tons of stuff we didnt need. now i cant seem to remember to wear my watch around here though
bnsafe

First Name: Scott

Postby planebow » 10 20, 2012 •  [Post 4]

Took way to much this year. I went a week earlier than my hunting partners so when they arrived we had 2 or 3 of most everything. I made up a list of everything I took and am leaving it on my computer for next year so I will have a head start.
planebow

First Name: Robert
Last Name: Howard

Postby Bullnuts » 10 25, 2012 •  [Post 5]

Ha! My oldest boy forgot his boots one year, and he was very lucky that I always pack 2 pairs. Me, I rarely forget to bring things to camp since I spend several days packing before the season starts. In 2008, though, I was tasked with working the DNC in Denver, which came to a close on the Thursday night before elk season started. We were working up to 20 hour shifts for that entire week and surviving on 5 hour energy drinks. I left Denver at 2 am Friday morning, got home and slept for 4 hours, and then headed up to elk camp. I didn't get to sleep that night until 11, and then on opening day, when me and my son stepped out of the truck, I realized that I had left my bow in camp. It was just as well since I was in no condition to shoot anything and was better off just stumbling around in the woods trying to keep my eyes open.
Bullnuts

Postby pointysticks » 10 25, 2012 •  [Post 6]

just talked to a buddy.

apparently i forgot to bring...............HIM!

i invited him, told him the deadlines..i dont handhold anyone..if you want to go, do the paperwork, pay the bills.

he called and asked, "hey, werent we supposed to go elk hunting?"
haha!!
pointysticks

First Name: cliff
Last Name: l

Postby Swede » 10 25, 2012 •  [Post 7]

I take way too much stuff. I start packing days before my departure date. I have a written list of items I want to have with me. I keep that list from year to year and just update it as I need. Much of my gear is packed in plastic containers with a list of contents on top, or is incorporated in the standard trailer furnishings. The problem is that I am prepared for every malfunction imaginable and can stay out for two months. I just come to town, to replace the perishables along with an occasional stop at the laundry.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby dotman » 10 25, 2012 •  [Post 8]

Two seasons ago I completely for got to pack a bic lighter, had to light my stove with emergency matches.
dotman

Postby MT_Nate » 10 25, 2012 •  [Post 9]

pointysticks wrote:just talked to a buddy.

i invited him, told him the deadlines..i dont handhold anyone..if you want to go, do the paperwork, pay the bills.

haha!!

That happened to me twice this year...two different guys. Your description is dead-on PointySticks...if you want to go, the onus is on you...not me. I'm going anyhow...if you're going you'd better be prepared to to join the fray. Well put.
MT_Nate

Postby dapper » 11 02, 2012 •  [Post 10]

I packed and unpacked so many times, trying to get it all to fit that when I finally left home I forgot a small compression sack containing things like my bugle, elknut book, pen, whistle, first aid kit, emergency bivy, matches, spork, bowl, knife sharpener as well as other small items. I didn't realize they were at home(1000 miles away) until we set up camp 5 miles deep in a colorado wilderness. My son split up his first aid kit, matches with me. We took turns eating with his spork and bowl, left the one pen in camp to validate a tag if needed. Some of these items I could've replaced if we went back to my truck, but we stayed in for 13 days without returning to the truck.
Next year I'll pay more attention.
Dan
dapper

First Name: Dan
Last Name: Behring

Postby BarW » 11 04, 2012 •  [Post 11]

pointysticks wrote:just talked to a buddy.

haha!!

This happens to me every year. Lots of guys want to go elk hunting but don't plan through the year. Even with fuel and out of state tags it works out to $72 a month for me. Which is the way I explain to everyone who asks to go how to save to pay for it, but most back out at the last minute
BarW

First Name: Mark
Last Name: Wiggins

Postby >>>---WW----> » 11 04, 2012 •  [Post 12]

Usually I'm pretty good at not forgetting things. And if I do, it is usually something that isn't all that important anyhow. But about three years ago it was just a little different.

I was going to Texas for a hog hunt with Bullnuts, his brother Lew, Buglemaster and a couple of other guys. I had everything ready the evening before and placed it all out in the garage to be loaded the the next morning. Well, the next morning I was rareing to get on the road. So I loaded everything up, kissed my loveing wife goodby and I hit the road for lew's house, about 240 miles away.

Once I got to Lew's place I decide to rearange my stuff to make room for all of his stuff. It was then that I noticed one important thing was missing. Well, I'm sure glad Lew had some extra arrows to lend me because my wife had called and ask how I intended to hunt without mine that were still in the garage at home.
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics