Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

I Won't Use This Again!!

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

I Won't Use This Again!!

Postby ElkNut1 » 10 16, 2012 •  [Post 1]

What is it that you've used in this years hunt or previous years that you yourself will not use again, because of bulkiness or lack of performance? Such as camera, hunting pack, bow, arrows, broadheads, decoys, etc. For me one thing I really wanted to utilize with the Heads Up Decoy, it was too bulky & will not fit anywhere on the pack for those long all day hunts with lots of brush! I like the idea but not practical for packing at all.

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Re: I Won't Use This Again!!

Postby >>>---WW----> » 10 16, 2012 •  [Post 2]

Get yourself a gunny sack. LOL! You know the story.
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 10 16, 2012 •  [Post 3]

A couple of things come to mind.

1. Water bottles, platypus, etc. Once I finally started using a hydration bladder, I'd never go back to having to take my pack off to drink water.
2. Cotton undergarments. They don't wick moisture and don't last longer than one hike/hunt before they're stunk up.
3. Fingers with a compound bow. Shot with a glove for years and years (refusing to use a release) but once I finally made the transition, it was "lightbulb on" for accuracy/forgiveness.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby dotman » 10 16, 2012 •  [Post 4]

Paul, the heads up decoy only really works when you have a chance to get it set up in a hot area but quick deployment it is not good for. It is amazing how the elk focus in on it.

I think I have finally figured out my gear can't think of one thing I would replace or not use anymore.
dotman

Postby planebow » 10 16, 2012 •  [Post 5]

One thing that I quit carrying was a saw. Using the gutless method Idon't need it. If I need to cut off the horns i can bring the saw back with me on a pack out trip. I carryed my heads up decoy with me this year but did not get a chance to use it. It slips under the rear flaps on my X2 pack
planebow

First Name: Robert
Last Name: Howard

Postby pointysticks » 10 16, 2012 •  [Post 6]

Revolution unisulated fleece!!

pretty loud, pretty stiff..very warm for uninsulated. i get some new performance camo and i am giving this stuff away to some tree stand guy! you cannot hike in this stuff without failing your underwear and/or antiperspirant! and neither scenario is good for all parties involved.
pointysticks

First Name: cliff
Last Name: l

Postby T/H » 10 16, 2012 •  [Post 7]

My Badlands 2200 has seen its last hunt. I've had to send it back to BL's after each elk hunt for zipper repair.
T/H

Postby Swede » 10 16, 2012 •  [Post 8]

Some diaphragms work well for me, while others don't. Prefectly good ones, that are great for others, I have trouble making a quality call with. I got some last summer that I am passing on to my son who loves them. Luke's lucky day.
It is interesting to read that some are leaving their saw behind. I still use mine to cut off the legs, and the head, or to sever the backbone. I used to carry a hacksaw or one of the folding ones that come with two blades, but I got a Wyoming saw from Elknut last year. I sure find it well worth the space and weight it takes up. It sure beats carrying an axe in case you have to cut something in the way wherever the need arises.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Vanish » 10 16, 2012 •  [Post 9]

Phantom16 wrote:2. Cotton undergarments. They don't wick moisture and don't last longer than one hike/hunt before they're stunk up.

Oh man ... you should have seen things after I packed out that elk. It was NOT pretty!

I might be one of the few with underwear (synthetic!) on their Xmas list! :D

From last year, cheap game bags ... complete waste of money! Much better off with XL pillow cases from the thrift shop!
Vanish

First Name: Ryan
Last Name: Driskel

Postby huntabsarokee » 10 16, 2012 •  [Post 10]

I tried a Badlands bino case this year. To bulky for me. Prefer just a plain harness.
huntabsarokee

First Name: jason
Last Name: rex

Postby pointysticks » 10 16, 2012 •  [Post 11]

T/H wrote:My Badlands 2200 has seen its last hunt. I've had to send it back to BL's after each elk hunt for zipper repair.

that is a bummer. i have an older 2800..maybe second generation. i hooked it on a tree branch crossing downed trees...the stupid thing hung me up like i was the forth stooge. (hey mo!) feet up the the air. i bounced off and tore about 0.5" of a lower stitch. i printed all the stuff to send it back for repairs..and i thought about it..i pulled out some thread and needle and fixed it myself. i'll eventually send it back, but i got it back to usable.

zippers? i have had zero probs..i heard the new ones can be a challenge. still the pack is "ok". 7/10.
pointysticks

Postby pointysticks » 10 16, 2012 •  [Post 12]

Vanish wrote:
Phantom16 wrote:2. Cotton undergarments. They don't wick moisture and don't last longer than one hike/hunt before they're stunk up.

Oh man ... you should have seen things after I packed out that elk. It was NOT pretty!

I might be one of the few with underwear (synthetic!) on their Xmas list! :D

From last year, cheap game bags ... complete waste of money! Much better off with XL pillow cases from the thrift shop!

i believe you want merino wool panties..i have synthetics...the funk is different, but still funk! i wont wear them anymore. i am gonna get stocking stuffer merino wool draws for myself. gonna find boxers!!
pointysticks

Postby bnsafe » 10 16, 2012 •  [Post 13]

im thinkin my mummy bag may get retired. i realize a rectangle bag is heavier and bulkier but i was absolutely miserable in the mummy bag, warm but miserable. my coleman max pad was ok for bivvy but i will have a much better pad for basecamp. and i will cut way way way back on the amt of food i carried.
bnsafe

First Name: Scott

Postby T/H » 10 16, 2012 •  [Post 14]

pointysticks wrote:
T/H wrote:My Badlands 2200 has seen its last hunt. I've had to send it back to BL's after each elk hunt for zipper repair.

that is a bummer. i have an older 2800..maybe second generation. i hooked it on a tree branch crossing downed trees...the stupid thing hung me up like i was the forth stooge. (hey mo!) feet up the the air. i bounced off and tore about 0.5" of a lower stitch. i printed all the stuff to send it back for repairs..and i thought about it..i pulled out some thread and needle and fixed it myself. i'll eventually send it back, but i got it back to usable.

zippers? i have had zero probs..i heard the new ones can be a challenge. still the pack is "ok". 7/10.

how does your 2800 do for packing meat?
T/H

Postby Magic » 10 16, 2012 •  [Post 15]

You gotta pull the zipper tab, not push it. Pulling, it will last forever. Pushing, it will break.
Magic

First Name: Lynn
Last Name: D

Postby elkaholic » 10 16, 2012 •  [Post 16]

I also have issues with the side zippers on the pouches. Had 2 go on me last year. 1 so far this year.. The pack wears great but I dislike those two side zippers.
elkaholic

First Name: Leland
Last Name: Stanford

Postby Lefty » 10 17, 2012 •  [Post 17]

bnsafe wrote:im thinkin my mummy bag may get retired. i realize a rectangle bag is heavier and bulkier but i was absolutely miserable in the mummy bag, ,,,,,,,,,.

I decided my slumberjack wasnt performing as it once did, twenty years and over 400 nights and 50 washings ago
I bought an oversized canvas shell, flannel inside. It was rated at zero degrees, With a cheapo 50 degree bag on top I was toasty warm last week at 9 degrees
Lefty

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Dirty D » 10 17, 2012 •  [Post 18]

Katadyn Base Camp - gravity water filter. I'll actually use this again but was disappointed with the results this trip. For those unfamiliar with a gravity type water filter, it's essentially a large bag (2.5 gal.) that you fill, hang in a tree and place your clean water container at the hose on the end. This product normally works great but we had a water source that looked clean but had a lot of very small sediment that quickly clogged the filter, tried backwashing but that didn't help. I did call them when we got home and they sent out a replacement filter, which I appreciate.

We ended up boiler and using more water purification tablets than I had anticipated. Oh well...
Dirty D

Postby T/H » 10 17, 2012 •  [Post 19]

elkaholic wrote:I also have issues with the side zippers on the pouches. Had 2 go on me last year. 1 so far this year.. The pack wears great but I dislike those two side zippers.

yup those are the ones. not that you can get much in them anyway.
T/H

Postby Bullnuts » 10 18, 2012 •  [Post 20]

The Zodi single burner camp shower is a joke. "Instant hot water" is false advertising - the only way you get instant hot is if you put hot water into it in the first place. Otherwise the water comes out the hose end just as cold as it goes in the feeder end. From now on it's a turkey frier pot full of boiling water mixed with creek water in a 35 gallon tote, with an electric pump and shower head to get the water moving.
Bullnuts

Postby Vanish » 10 18, 2012 •  [Post 21]

Bullnuts wrote:The Zodi single burner camp shower is a joke. "Instant hot water" is false advertising - the only way you get instant hot is if you put hot water into it in the first place. Otherwise the water comes out the hose end just as cold as it goes in the feeder end. From now on it's a turkey frier pot full of boiling water mixed with creek water in a 35 gallon tote, with an electric pump and shower head to get the water moving.

Pansy!

:P
Vanish

First Name: Ryan
Last Name: Driskel

Postby pointysticks » 10 18, 2012 •  [Post 22]

TH..i was skeptical when i strapped a rear elk hind into my 2800. i pulled out that blaze orange panel and tied it all in.

you know what? that was when the pack really shined. i've always felt the hipbelt did nothing..but when the load was superheavy..the hip belt really did the job of transferring the weight..my friend had great canvas game bags. my second load was random meat parts. without the canvas bag holding things together, not so sure how it would have played out.

blood came out of the badlands decent too. one elk hind is max for the 2800. (for my legs too!)
pointysticks

Postby ferris bugler » 10 18, 2012 •  [Post 23]

I would like to trade in my Western Mountaineering Ultralight sleeping bag for a Marmot Helium or Plasma 15 sleeping bag. I believe the temp rating should be much higher. I get cold in the thing every time I use it.
ferris bugler

First Name: rewk
Last Name: patten

Postby Harmy » 10 18, 2012 •  [Post 24]

I support of Ferris, +1 for the Marmot Helium bag. However, it is so warm I have never been able to zip the thing up. I just use it as a blanket.
Harmy

First Name: Chris

Postby Bullnuts » 10 18, 2012 •  [Post 25]

Vanish wrote:
Bullnuts wrote:The Zodi single burner camp shower is a joke. "Instant hot water" is false advertising - the only way you get instant hot is if you put hot water into it in the first place. Otherwise the water comes out the hose end just as cold as it goes in the feeder end. From now on it's a turkey frier pot full of boiling water mixed with creek water in a 35 gallon tote, with an electric pump and shower head to get the water moving.

Pansy!

:P

But I smell NICE!
Bullnuts

Postby ferris bugler » 10 18, 2012 •  [Post 26]

Harmy wrote:I support of Ferris, +1 for the Marmot Helium bag. However, it is so warm I have never been able to zip the thing up. I just use it as a blanket.

That's the news I'm looking for. Ever used the Western Mountaineering?
ferris bugler

First Name: rewk
Last Name: patten

Postby wapitibowman » 10 18, 2012 •  [Post 27]

ferris bugler wrote:
Harmy wrote:I support of Ferris, +1 for the Marmot Helium bag. However, it is so warm I have never been able to zip the thing up. I just use it as a blanket.

I use the Marmot Helium Membrain bag. It is incredible and warm. Packs up small and is comfortable.

Wapitibowman
wapitibowman

First Name: R
Last Name: E

Postby ElkNut1 » 10 19, 2012 •  [Post 28]

For the record, the Heads Up will work, it just needs to fold up & get half the size for easier packing! I won't pack it with its present design!

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby Gazelle » 10 20, 2012 •  [Post 29]

I dident care for the bino harness. Gets caught up in my calls and pack straps. Goin back to reg strap. Loved my Badlands 2200 for packing my bull. Still heavy but very comfy.
Gazelle

First Name: Tony
Last Name: Reinolds

I Won't Use This Again!!

Postby slim9300 » 10 20, 2012 •  [Post 30]

Time for the big dog: Kifaru. ;)
slim9300

Postby bstiger » 10 25, 2012 •  [Post 31]

I bought the ZODI intsant hot water shower.... OMG...I do not recommend this piece of equipment it was a waste of money. Barley heated water. the only thing that works as advertised was the pump.

Had to biol water on my stove and run it through the pump....
bstiger

First Name: Bill
Last Name: Stiger

Postby Bullnuts » 10 25, 2012 •  [Post 32]

bstiger wrote:I bought the ZODI intsant hot water shower.... OMG...I do not recommend this piece of equipment it was a waste of money. Barley heated water. the only thing that works as advertised was the pump.

Had to biol water on my stove and run it through the pump....

See? I'm not the only one!!!! What a piece of garbage this thing is. By the way, the pump with go belly up on you by next year, too.
Bullnuts

Postby tracker12 » 10 26, 2012 •  [Post 33]

I didn't really find anything I won't take again. But I did find on thing I will always have and that was my "Ibex" brand light weight merino wool tee shirt and briefs. They were great especially with the warmer temps this year. They are comfortable, don't hold oders like syntetics and dry quickly. I hunted each morning then when I got back to camp I would wash the tops and bottoms out and hang them to dry for the evening hunt.
tracker12

Postby ElkNut1 » 10 29, 2012 •  [Post 34]

Love that merino wool as well, great stuff!!

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby Bullnuts » 10 29, 2012 •  [Post 35]

ElkNut1 wrote:Love that merino wool as well, great stuff!!

ElkNut1

My Wigwam socks are the best!
Bullnuts

Postby pointysticks » 11 06, 2012 •  [Post 36]

synthetic underwear..

pe-u!
pointysticks

Postby Haulin'Quarters » 11 07, 2012 •  [Post 37]

The "Lobo Zone" in Idaho. Used to be Lolo, but it should be renamed.
Haulin'Quarters

Postby ElkNut1 » 11 08, 2012 •  [Post 38]

LOL!!!
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby >>>---WW----> » 11 10, 2012 •  [Post 39]

pointysticks wrote:TH..i was skeptical when i strapped a rear elk hind into my 2800. i pulled out that blaze orange panel and tied it all in.

you know what? that was when the pack really shined. i've always felt the hipbelt did nothing..but when the load was superheavy..the hip belt really did the job of transferring the weight..my friend had great canvas game bags. my second load was random meat parts. without the canvas bag holding things together, not so sure how it would have played out.

blood came out of the badlands decent too. one elk hind is max for the 2800. (for my legs too!)

I'm sure glad it was the (rear) hind you strapped on to that pack. If it would have been the (front) hind, I would sure like to have seen some pictures of it. LOL!
>>>---WW---->

Postby Magic » 11 10, 2012 •  [Post 40]

I hear folks telling about packing out a whole "front" shoulder. I guess they go back and make a second trip for the rear shoulders. ;)
Magic

First Name: Lynn
Last Name: D

Postby CrazyElkHunter » 11 10, 2012 •  [Post 41]

My problem is not taking anything out, but keep adding new stuff every year. Staying the entire bow season, I'm afraid to leave anything home. Going to have to get a bigger trailer! :shock:
CrazyElkHunter

First Name: Bill
Last Name: Custer

Postby pointysticks » 11 10, 2012 •  [Post 42]

>>>---WW----> wrote:
pointysticks wrote:TH..i was skeptical when i strapped a rear elk hind into my 2800. i pulled out that blaze orange panel and tied it all in.

I'm sure glad it was the (rear) hind you strapped on to that pack. If it would have been the (front) hind, I would sure like to have seen some pictures of it. LOL!

hahha...i just realized that..duh! thanks..
pointysticks